P700 Pioneer 700 with Can-Am Commander Shocks

SundayRdr

SundayRdr

Mar 1, 2016
McMinville Tn
I've got every intentions on being there my wife and I are both looking forward to it and can't wait!!! Noticeable increase in the ride quality and hieght. I'm at 15 " on front skid with 28.5 tires + shocks. I have the front shocks swapped and have been waiting since first of march on the sleeves. The sleeves were suppose to have been here 3-23. I'm not sure how I'll install the 15mm od into poly bushings yet.

Neohio

Beast of the East
Advertisment

G

green02crew

Jan 12, 2015
I've got every intentions on being there my wife and I are both looking forward to it and can't wait!!! Noticeable increase in the ride quality and hieght. I'm at 15 " on front skid with 28.5 tires + shocks. I have the front shocks swapped and have been waiting since first of march on the sleeves. The sleeves were suppose to have been here 3-23. I'm not sure how I'll install the 15mm od into poly bushings yet.

The new rear shocks should solve any rubbing issues at compression you most likely are experiencing. I know I had rubbing at compression with my 27s.

Just to correct you, hopefully you just hit the wrong number but the sleeves should be 14mm OD and 12mm ID. Mine took a couple weeks if I remember correctly but still faster than shipments from China.

I used a simple bench vice for install, greased then pushed the bushings in using an oversized socket on the receiving end so the longer bushing could push into it and slightly smaller socket on the pushing end. I then just pushed the metal sleeves in with the face of the bench vice. I tried pushing the bushings in with the metal sleeve already inside and found it nearly impossible.

*Edit: just saw you're going to drill out the bushing. Good idea as more sleeve wall is a good thing but I had a hard time finding metric drill bits here. I thought of that as well. 1/2" will get you close, probably close enough.

Last edited:
Vato

Vato

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2015
I'll be there in Rustic Cabin #8. Hope we get the opportunity to meet.
Did you order the sleeves and bushings?

I am picking up my shocks in TN on my way to the Takeover. I want to install them before the event. I have basic tools need a place to install the Can-Am shocks in case something comes up. I am thousands of miles from my proper tools. LOL

SundayRdr

SundayRdr

Mar 1, 2016
McMinville Tn
The new rear shocks should solve any rubbing issues at compression you most likely are experiencing. I know I had rubbing at compression with my 27s.

Just to correct you, hopefully you just hit the wrong number but the sleeves should be 14mm OD and 12mm ID. Mine took a couple weeks if I remember correctly but still faster than shipments from China.

I used a simple bench vice for install, greased then pushed the bushings in using an oversized socket on the receiving end so the longer bushing could push into it and slightly smaller socket on the pushing end. I then just pushed the metal sleeves in with the face of the bench vice. I tried pushing the bushings in with the metal sleeve already inside and found it nearly impossible.

*Edit: just saw you're going to drill out the bushing. Good idea as more sleeve wall is a good thing but I had a hard time finding metric drill bits here. I thought of that as well. 1/2" will get you close, probably close enough.

Yes it is difficult to find metric sleeevs. I found one vender with the 14x12mm but it was a 20' section. Lol. So I found McMaster Carr 15x12.

SundayRdr

SundayRdr

Mar 1, 2016
McMinville Tn
Commander shocks with dominator 28.5x10x14 with 5+2 wheels rub on full lock turns with suspension compressed.

d_b

d_b

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 24, 2015
Utah
Did this myself with a few mods. Very nice upgrade thanks again @green02crew.

Reactions: green02crew
G

green02crew

Jan 12, 2015
Did this myself with a few mods. Very nice upgrade thanks again @green02crew.

What did you do differently?
Pictures or it didn't happen!

SundayRdr

SundayRdr

Mar 1, 2016
McMinville Tn
It's done and a great mod. I used a 2x4 block, hammer and a 2.5" long 3/8 bolt with a nut and large fender washer to remove the canam bushings installed the new poly bushings by hand, and used the same bolt to install the metal sleeves into bushings. I would recommend using a
C-Clamp if a vise is not available. I did cut 2 of my poly bushings a little bit.

Vato

Vato

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2015
Installed front canam shocks today and hammered them on the Royal Blue Trails. WAY better than stockers. Looking forward to installing rears.

SundayRdr

SundayRdr

Mar 1, 2016
McMinville Tn
I did have to spread the frame shock mounts a little bit, remove the sway bar end links, spindle/knuckle to drop the lower control arm down and get the shocks in the upper mounts.

SundayRdr

SundayRdr

Mar 1, 2016
McMinville Tn
What did you do differently?
Pictures or it didn't happen!
2016 02 03 114950
2016 04 07 213517

Yes as a matter of fact it did. Only pic I sent was to vato n it was of the redneck R&R tool. Lol. It was late, dark, I was ready for a shower and bed so no installation pictures...

G

green02crew

Jan 12, 2015
I did have to spread the frame shock mounts a little bit, remove the sway bar end links, spindle/knuckle to drop the lower control arm down and get the shocks in the upper mounts.

I didn't even think about the sway bar as I had already removed mine some time ago. Is there even enough room to hook it back up if someone wanted to? Articulates much better without the sway, especially when you're adding better shocks.

What rear springs did you go with?

Oh and I like the blue!

SundayRdr

SundayRdr

Mar 1, 2016
McMinville Tn
I went with stock springs all the way around. I found a complete set of factory take offs from a 2011 1000 that had 60 miles on them. Yes the sway bar can be used as of everything's factory. I may unhook it once I purchase some longer 12mm bolts, limiting straps and bolt them on. I do to. I wasn't sure about blue when I got it but have grown fond of it.

G

green02crew

Jan 12, 2015
I went with stock springs all the way around. I found a complete set of factory take offs from a 2011 1000 that had 60 miles on them. Yes the sway bar can be used as of everything's factory. I may unhook it once I purchase some longer 12mm bolts, limiting straps and bolt them on. I do to. I wasn't sure about blue when I got it but have grown fond of it.

That was my next question, what you decided to use for limiting straps. I figured 19" would work as they stretch a little but there isn't much downward pressure there I don't think. Seems to be right at the end of the stroke. I did bump stops out of 1/2 urethane and hose clamps instead of the limiting strap and longer bolts because it was cheaper and I didn't want extra strap length getting caught on branches.

I'm waiting to see someone run without any stop for a while and see what it does long term, if anything.

Vato

Vato

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2015
Installed my Can am front shocks, So far so good and performance is way better than stock.

SPIFYD liked them. We traded buggy's for a couple hour night ride. I loved his turbo, led lights and Fox shocks. His sister was cool too! He said that can am shocks were as good or better than the Fox's. Wow!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!