Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Okay got a message back from one of the guys on the commander website he has a set of 4 yellow spring Commander shocks he's asking a hundred and fifty for the shocks +shipping

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Reactions: green02crew
SundayRdr

SundayRdr

Mar 1, 2016
McMinville Tn
Good luck on them if your purchasing from nick1993. I went back and forth with him for a month.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Good luck on them if your purchasing from nick1993. I went back and forth with him for a month.
I have a deal going with another guy, I just wanted to put it out there if someone else I'd interested. Thanks for the warning.

Vato

Vato

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2015
Good deal on those shocks.....don't tell them your installing them on a Honda!o_O

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I think so, there is at least 2 more people that have stock shocks with yellow springs for sale on there right now if anyone is interested.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Vato, if I use 2 bushings per eye would that fix the problem with the gap between the mount and the shock. I'm thinking about pressing one from each side . Then there will be a flat surface on each side of the eye. Hope I discredit that right!

G

green02crew

Jan 12, 2015
Vato, if I use 2 bushings per eye would that fix the problem with the gap between the mount and the shock. I'm thinking about pressing one from each side . Then there will be a flat surface on each side of the eye. Hope I discredit that right!

He never responded to my question clarifying the gap. If it's what I think it is, it isn't something to be concerned about. The steel inner sleeve is what goes tight to either side of the shock mount. The bushing is tight in the shock and won't allow movement. Also, the motion on the shock is up and down not side to side. The stock ones were of similar construction and pressed in, they never moved.

Once you press them in you'll see the amount of force needed and combine that with the fact that there is only up and down force on the shocks not side to side, you'll see that it isn't a concern. Even if they got hit by something and did slide to one side, what would it do? They're still on the bushing and sleeve, not like they can go anywhere.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I know most shock bushings are like you discribe. Do you think the front slaves can be reused if I replace the bushings?

G

green02crew

Jan 12, 2015
I know most shock bushings are like you discribe. Do you think the front slaves can be reused if I replace the bushings?

Doubtful, the stock sleeves seem to be glued to the bushings and would more than likely ruin the bushings if you try to remove the sleeves from them. I tried that with the commander bushings, I wanted to reuse the bushing and just put in a new sleeve. I found that the sleeve was glued to the rubber bushing and when I pressed them out it destroyed the soft rubber. So on to new bushings out of polyurethane so they would be stronger as well.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thanks for the info. I'm not use how the bushings look on the shocks I'm getting. If they are still in good shape I won't mess with the fronts. Just thinking if I need to replace them what my options are.

G

green02crew

Jan 12, 2015
Thanks for the info. I'm not use how the bushings look on the shocks I'm getting. If they are still in good shape I won't mess with the fronts. Just thinking if I need to replace them what my options are.

If you have a couple bad bushings on the front it isn't a big deal because you'll be able to use the ones from the rear as they are the same stock on the commander shocks. And since you need to remove the rear bushings anyways you could use them on the front if you had to. They are also relatively cheap and easy to replace as the entire bushing comes out of the shock easily with little pressure in a vice and can also be purchased separately online as they seem a commonly replaced item on commanders.

Reactions: Tramguage1
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I also have a press in my shop, so replacement should be pretty easy.

Vato

Vato

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2015
He never responded to my question clarifying the gap. If it's what I think it is, it isn't something to be concerned about. The steel inner sleeve is what goes tight to either side of the shock mount. The bushing is tight in the shock and won't allow movement. Also, the motion on the shock is up and down not side to side. The stock ones were of similar construction and pressed in, they never moved.

Once you press them in you'll see the amount of force needed and combine that with the fact that there is only up and down force on the shocks not side to side, you'll see that it isn't a concern. Even if they got hit by something and did slide to one side, what would it do? They're still on the bushing and sleeve, not like they can go anywhere.
Maybe I over thought the spacer issue. Using two bushings on one shock eye could work. You will need to trim the bushings to length. My upper shock eyes have not moved on the nylon bushing and I have been in some rough New Mexico desert rocky terrain.

G

green02crew

Jan 12, 2015
Just to update, did a couple hard rides. My riding buddy on his brute force 750 described the Honda as soaking up the bumps "like a trophy truck". I really think the massive shock bodies has a lot to do with the improvement more so than the increased spring rate... Or decreased spring rate if you believe Honda's super high numbers. There must not be any quality control or verification of front spring rate. I do believe their rear numbers are accurate but the front can't be.

I can't wait for someone to put on the commander fox shocks. That would be the best riding combo out there!

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I got a set of 4 shocks for $150 Plus shipping ($200 total). I have the bushings coming $1.99 each plus shipping ($18 total) and the 14mm tubing $2.50 (for 12") plush shipping ($15 total) coming. So Total cost of conversion = $233. I'm going to be impressed if the ride is half as good as a $1400 set of Fox's.

I'm going to try the springs that come on the shocks. I can change them later if I think they can be improved.

G

green02crew

Jan 12, 2015
I got a set of 4 shocks for $150 Plus shipping ($200 total). I have the bushings coming $1.99 each plus shipping ($18 total) and the 14mm tubing $2.50 (for 12") plush shipping ($15 total) coming. So Total cost of conversion = $233. I'm going to be impressed if the ride is half as good as a $1400 set of Fox's.

I'm going to try the springs that come on the shocks. I can change them later if I think they can be improved.

Front springs that come on the commander are good to go. If you don't regularly carry a heavy load, or passengers if it's a p4, the commander rear springs should be fine. I wanted stock ride with lowest preload but better weight carrying ability. That's what got me the highlifter springs as they offered what I was looking for.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2

I am reading people saying they are as good or better than Fox. This was a great find @green02crew! I just wish you posted it before I bought the Fox setup!! Haha

G

green02crew

Jan 12, 2015
I am reading people saying they are as good or better than Fox. This was a great find @green02crew! I just wish you posted it before I bought the Fox setup!! Haha

I haven't tried the fox shocks for the pioneer or the commander so I can't compare. I know the piggy back fox from the commander would have better damping but not sure if we would notice that big a difference on our utv over stock commander shocks. I haven't been able to bottom my current setup yet and I've tried, hard.

Reactions: Tflynn
G

green02crew

Jan 12, 2015
Yesterday was opening day for trails in my area. Went riding for a few hours in Jericho park with a buddy. Had to turn the front shock preload up another notch, now 2 up from bottom, after my friend hit a water bar much harder than I would have, I don't think he saw it coming.

Emp bash plate doesn't look so good now. Neither does my sssoffroad UHMW skid that separated the single piece plate into two pieces. Another dent in the rim too, biggest one I've gotten so far on an ohrv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!