P1000m5 100 amp circuit breaker or not

B

Brandon327

Feb 14, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
What it the advantage to putting a 100 amp circuit breaker before your auxillary fuse panel? I don't see a need as long as you don't overload the fuse panel. That is just one more part to give problems.

100 amp relay or heavy duty continuous duty solenoid to bring in the power to the fuse panel when the switch is turned on? I have always used a solenoid. My mule pro fxt the accessory fuse panel from Kawasaki had a solenoid. No breaker or relay, it worked great.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 300 on the aux battery it feeds both my winches too, by design I can only run one at a time. Its there incase my winch feed shorts somewhere the thing doesn't burn like a popo

Deluxe700

Deluxe700

Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
I don't have a winch or anything that pulls that much in amps...but I have a 50 amp circuit breaker installed. Right off the battery , before my aux fuse block.... Seems to work well for my needs..plus it gives me a quick way to cut all power with the push of a button on the breaker.

OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have it one before the fuse block that also feeds the winch and I like I can shut down the AUX side from the under the hood without disconnecting anything. I guess if you don't have a winch on your AUX side you could go without. $30 piece of mind. Owning boats I've never seen one fail.

Reactions: JTW
B

Brandon327

Feb 14, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I have it one before the fuse block that also feeds the winch and I like I can shut down the AUX side from the under the hood without disconnecting anything. I guess if you don't have a winch on your AUX side you could go without. $30 piece of mind. Owning boats I've never seen one fail.

The winch has its own circuit breaker.

Reactions: Hawk53
J

JTW

I bought one and ended up not using it as I replaced it with the Stinger 80amp solonoid before my fuse panel ran to the master switch on my switch panel. This way I can shut all accessories off with my switch or keep them hot when the machine is off via the second battery. My winch it hot wired to the second battery with the supplied winch breaker it comes with. There were a couple times I kinda wished I could just throw a breaker to kill the winch or power to the solenoid when I was wiring it up. But I finally just decided I’d rather not have one more component that could fail. It’s a bit of a pain but I can always disconnect the battery cable if needed.

25F53682 77A9 466C BBCF 9F802251F3D8 B10E3B37 C83F 48DB 92DF F34AF5CCAD52 2023565D E0D2 4B7A BEBD 3F48E47564A5

W

WildTurkey

Feb 8, 2018
Nantahala NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I bought one and ended up not using it as I replaced it with the Stinger 80amp solonoid before my fuse panel ran to the master switch on my switch panel. This way I can shut all accessories off with my switch or keep them hot when the machine is off via the second battery. My winch it hot wired to the second battery with the supplied winch breaker it comes with. There were a couple times I kinda wished I could just throw a breaker to kill the winch or power to the solenoid when I was wiring it up. But I finally just decided I’d rather not have one more component that could fail. It’s a bit of a pain but I can always disconnect the battery cable if needed.

View attachment 67619 View attachment 67620 View attachment 67621
Breakers and fuses protect wiring. If you do not place a breaker at the Auxillary battery, a short to ground anywhere between the battery and the next fused or breaker point will cause that wire to overheat, melt insulation and possibly cause a fire. More than likely a damaged or destroyed battery as well.
That said, most automobiles do not protect the initial wire run from the battery to the starter or battery to the relay\fuse box.

J

JTW

Breakers and fuses protect wiring. If you do not place a breaker at the Auxillary battery, a short to ground anywhere between the battery and the next fused or breaker point will cause that wire to overheat, melt insulation and possibly cause a fire. More than likely a damaged or destroyed battery as well.
That said, most automobiles do not protect the initial wire run from the battery to the starter or battery to the relay\fuse box.
Yes.. exactly. But as I said the winch has a thermal breaker. The only thing between the fusebox and the battery is the master switch solenoid.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Bussman 160 amp switched waterproof breaker near battery, protects wiring downstream and switch allows cut off of juice when working on wiring. Winches can pull that much. Never know what you will add later.

E19E6124 0CA1 40E3 AE5E 480252AF62F7

R

Rohr84

Jan 1, 2018
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Bussman 160 amp switched waterproof breaker near battery, protects wiring downstream and switch allows cut off of juice when working on wiring. Winches can pull that much. Never know what you will add later.

View attachment 67901
What size wire should I use to go from switch's to fuse panel? And what size from battery to solenoid to fuse panel? Tia

OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
What size wire should I use to go from switch's to fuse panel? And what size from battery to solenoid to fuse panel? Tia

I've been using 16 AWG wire from my panel to all of my switches and accessories but all of my circuits are 10 amps and under, so far. I would use 12 AWG for a 15 or 20 amp circuit. I used 6 AWG wire from my battery to the 100 amp solenoid and fuse panel.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I ran 12 everywhere with a few extras and 10 to high draw accessories.

I have 2ga from battery to 300 amp breaker then to winches and fuse block.

Reactions: Rohr84 and JTW
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
See chart above for recommended ga wire runs. I used 6 ga. for winch. Jumper cables or auto stores sell heavy wire for audio amps, etc.

R

Rohr84

Jan 1, 2018
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

View attachment 67619 View attachment 67620 View attachment 67621
How exactly did you hook you solenoid up to your master switch?

R

Rohr84

Jan 1, 2018
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I've been using 16 AWG wire from my panel to all of my switches and accessories but all of my circuits are 10 amps and under, so far. I would use 12 AWG for a 15 or 20 amp circuit. I used 6 AWG wire from my battery to the 100 amp solenoid and fuse panel.
Would 8 awg work from battery to solenoid to fuse panel?

R

Rohr84

Jan 1, 2018
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
There’s just two small wires from the solenoid that open/close the flow. They go to the switch.
Thanks!!! I appreciate it I just done the dual battery waiting for fuse block ground bar switch panel and Noam stereo with sub should be here Tuesday I'm stoked!!!

J

JTW

Thanks!!! I appreciate it I just done the dual battery waiting for fuse block ground bar switch panel and Noam stereo with sub should be here Tuesday I'm stoked!!!
Awesome... have you put a skid plate on it? What year machine?

Reactions: Rohr84
R

Rohr84

Jan 1, 2018
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Not yet.. ours is a 2018 1000-5 deluxe! We have already put le bumper under dash storage and Honda roof and split windshield!
n
Not yet but want to it's a 2018 deluxe

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!