P1000m5 100 amp circuit breaker or not

W

WildTurkey

Feb 8, 2018
Nantahala NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Would 8 awg work from battery to solenoid to fuse panel?
Take a look at the table in Mudders post a little higher up. Not sure what your anticipated load will actually be, but 8 gauge is smaller than any of the wire sizes listed, and it is too small for the full load 80 amps.

Rule of thumb to determine your full load, Add up all of the devices wattages and divide by 12 volts to get the amps.
If you exceed the current (amps) for the wire size two problems can occur. First the voltage the devices see after the fuse blocks will drop. This can cause the devices to pull more than their rated current and possibly burn them up.

Second on a severe current overload the wire can overheat enough to damage it and possibly cause a fire. This is more likely with a short than a normal overload, but happens. Good example of this is a house fire with too many devices such as space heaters plugged into an extension cord that overheats and catches fire.

For the run you mention, I'd go with the correct wire size from Mudders table, for 100 amps either 6 gauge or 4 gauge depending on the total distance between the solenoid and fuse panel.

If the run is really short and you are not coming close to the 80 amps your solenoid can switch you may get away with 8 gauge, but for the small differential in price I'd go with the larger wire (smaller wire gauge). Keep in mind that more accessories may be in your future!

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
5EF0F106 4735 49F1 AB9D E32F4A34BAE6
8C902464 24BD 42A8 ACEC 06B8C0FF6584

Yep, for the small price more for 6ga. wire, a lot cheaper than a fried $$$ machine. Will take a resettable and switched breaker over a thermal fuse any day, especially given the time spent doing the work. If in doubt, go one size bigger on guage, especially if a winch may be added later. Was surprised to see 200+ amps for winches. Example 3500lb winch wire specs.

Last edited:
Reactions: WildTurkey and JTW
OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My agreeing with him using 8 AWG was based on my assumption that he just running sub-80 amp total accessories via the 80 amp solenoid to a comparable 80 amp fuse panel. The winch has to be wired directly to the battery for maximum effectiveness and safety. I agree, 6 AWG should be the standard and I run a bussman 100 amp circuit breaker but that's just me. I don't think any of my 6 AWG wire are more than 2 feet long on my pioneer except maybe the two lines going to the winch. They are like 2.5 feet?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rohr84
R

Rohr84

Jan 1, 2018
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Take a look at the table in Mudders post a little higher up. Not sure what your anticipated load will actually be, but 8 gauge is smaller than any of the wire sizes listed, and it is too small for the full load 80 amps.

Rule of thumb to determine your full load, Add up all of the devices wattages and divide by 12 volts to get the amps.
If you exceed the current (amps) for the wire size two problems can occur. First the voltage the devices see after the fuse blocks will drop. This can cause the devices to pull more than their rated current and possibly burn them up.

Second on a severe current overload the wire can overheat enough to damage it and possibly cause a fire. This is more likely with a short than a normal overload, but happens. Good example of this is a house fire with too many devices such as space heaters plugged into an extension cord that overheats and catches fire.

For the run you mention, I'd go with the correct wire size from Mudders table, for 100 amps either 6 gauge or 4 gauge depending on the total distance between the solenoid and fuse panel.

If the run is really short and you are not coming close to the 80 amps your solenoid can switch you may get away with 8 gauge, but for the small differential in price I'd go with the larger wire (smaller wire gauge). Keep in mind that more accessories may be in your future!
Al the solenoid will power will be my switch panel
My agreeing with him using 8 AWG was based on my assumption that he just running sub-80 amp total accessories via the 80 amp solenoid to a comparable 80 amp fuse panel. The winch has to be wired directly to the battery for maximum effectiveness and safety. I agree, 6 AWG should be the standard and I run a bussman 100 amp circuit breaker but that's just me. I don't think any of my 6 AWG wire are more than 2 feet long on my pioneer except maybe the two lines going to the winch. They are like 2.5 feet?
i was gonna use solenoid to power a master switch. I have a 12 way fuse panel rated for 100 watt I'm gonna get #6 gauge wire thinks this will be ok? All I plan on running is Noam nutv5-s stereo 50 inch light bar side lights and small reverse lights for when riding comes to a halt because of thirst! Maybe Dome lights

R

Rohr84

Jan 1, 2018
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I must have over looked input wire size when I ordered the fuse panel I just got it in mail today here is the specs on the fuse panel ? It says 30amps per circuit? Think this will be ok to run above mentioned acc.??
IMG 0083

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yes.. both small wires on master switch. Both battery wires on the solenoid.
Dang the asparagus flush worked, now you are making since! HA! Come on guys, we've got to get JTW back to where he was, this touchy, feely thing makes me uncomfortable about JTW, think he might have done too much asparagus for his own good! HA!

Last edited:
advertisement
R

Rohr84

Jan 1, 2018
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
IMG 0084
I have installed my 80 amp solenoid with # 4 gauge wire both small wires ran to master switch all connections are tight but I have no power any thing I've done wrong??

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!