P1000 1000-6 Illuminated Headlight Switch ?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
FYI, this is off the 2022 diagram. 2023 should be simualr.

R

RKS

Mar 4, 2023
US
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Has anyone seen or know of an illuminated headlight switch that will replace the large toggle switch on the P1000-6 ? I don't understand why Honda would install a non-lit headlight dimmer switch. Kind of hard to find in the dark. I've seen some on amazon for the CanAm that I could use with the Club oversized switch blank, but i'm not sure about the wiring since the stock switch is not illuminated. Any electrical Gurus out there that can help ?
Did you find the solution?

• Haha
Reactions: Remington
Silverbullet40

Silverbullet40

Jan 20, 2023
Leavenworth, In.
Ownership

1. 1000 6 Crew
I have the Forester Illuminated switch on my wokbench now. It is a five wire switch vs the 3 wire non-illuminated. 3 of the wires match on both switches. The other 2 require a hot and a ground to light the switch. Im going to cut off the three wire stock plug and solder it to the 5 wire switch. The extra 2 wires will be wired to a keyed hot and the other grounded. I'll let everyone know if it works out. Have been busy with other projects but it's next on the list.

H

HondaTech

I have the Forester Illuminated switch on my wokbench now. It is a five wire switch vs the 3 wire non-illuminated. 3 of the wires match on both switches. The other 2 require a hot and a ground to light the switch. Im going to cut off the three wire stock plug and solder it to the 5 wire switch. The extra 2 wires will be wired to a keyed hot and the other grounded. I'll let everyone know if it works out. Have been busy with other projects but it's next on the list.

Can you take a picture of the 5 wire plug.
I may be able to get sometime to match

R

RKS

Mar 4, 2023
US
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thx for responding so quickly! What is the best way to access the swith for removal that is being replaced?

Reactions: Remington
Silverbullet40

Silverbullet40

Jan 20, 2023
Leavenworth, In.
Ownership

1. 1000 6 Crew
I reached through the left side of engine compartment with left hand and pushed on the bottom of switch with a 24" ratchet extension with the right hand. Push up on bottom switch mount tab with left hand. When the bottom of switch pops out then push down on the top tab of switch housing while keeping pressure on the switch with the extension. This is not easy to do, but it can be done. You just have to keep fiddling with it and it will pop out.

Last edited:
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Silverbullet40

Silverbullet40

Jan 20, 2023
Leavenworth, In.
Ownership

1. 1000 6 Crew
Finished installing illuminated headlight switch today. Clipped the plug off both switches an soldered the illuminated switch to the plug of the non-illuminated switch to keep it stock. Matched up the blue, black and yellow wires. Wired the hot wire of the light (white with black stripe) to switched power (cigarette lighter) and grounded the white wire with blue stripe. Everything works as it should and you can now see to dim the lights ! Just like it should have come from the factory !

20230305 135222 20230305 142940 20230305 143312 20230305 135433 20230305 152500 20230305 155658

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Great job.
I have looked into this myself already as a potential product for the club store. But currently have to many sticks in the fire. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

wyldeman

wyldeman

Jul 23, 2022
Fort Wayne, IN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You aren't going to believe this, but earlier today I watched a video on a "Honda premium large OEM switch" and how it's wired. I was fascinated with it for the same reason brought up here but also to have large Honda OEM switches so I don't have to have my cab light on riding at night or have to install a small LED to illuminate the dash. Check this out below...

R

RKS

Mar 4, 2023
US
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Finished installing illuminated headlight switch today. Clipped the plug off both switches an soldered the illuminated switch to the plug of the non-illuminated switch to keep it stock. Matched up the blue, black and yellow wires. Wired the hot wire of the light (white with black stripe) to switched power (cigarette lighter) and grounded the white wire with blue stripe. Everything works as it should and you can now see to dim the lights ! Just like it should have come from the factory !

View attachment 377104 View attachment 377105 View attachment 377106 View attachment 377107 View attachment 377108 View attachment 377109
I hooked up the illuminated switch. Works great. Thank you! Do you know if they make an illuminated switch for the AT/MT switch?

wyldeman

wyldeman

Jul 23, 2022
Fort Wayne, IN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I hooked up the illuminated switch. Works great. Thank you! Do you know if they make an illuminated switch for the AT/MT switch?
That would be great. Even if the group could find the different "type" of switches (momentary contact, 3-selection, etc.) then attempt to dissassemble them and swap the front of the switch so we could make any of the large OEM switches backlit!

This thread is valuable.

H

HondaTech

I do believe all the switches are avaliable illuminated. The trail/forest models and old LE/SE models had them.

• Wow
Reactions: wyldeman
R

RKS

Mar 4, 2023
US
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I do believe all the switches are avaliable illuminated. The trail/forest models and old LE/SE models had them.
Appreciate the info. Do you know where I might could find the part number for the switch?

H

HondaTech

Appreciate the info. Do you know where I might could find the part number for the switch?

Any parts fiche for a Trail/Forest model. I'll get some numbers together this weekend for everyone who wants to do the swap.

Reactions: wyldeman

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!