P1000 10w 30 or 10w 40? First service thoughts

D

Dasmoeturhead

I changed to 10-40 on the 1st service. The second service is due now, and I will continue to use 10-40.

Reactions: adnoh
DPort

DPort

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2017
Lincoln, ME
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My dealer recommended 10-30 because of the reduced tolerances in the newer engines, I bought what he said for my 1st O/C.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I went to a Honda dealer and told him I needed the oil and filter for a 500. They gave me 10-40. Got home and the manual says 10-30. I then looked at the specs between the two and there is very little difference really. I went with the 40 weight and it's running perfect. I'm switching to synthetic on second service. It's just better oil. ;)

oldtrucks

oldtrucks

Mar 15, 2015
Pinehurst Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use the oil in my 1000 5. In my experience with wet clutches synthetic oil is not a problem. I have been using mobile 1 20 w 50 in my 1200 Gold Wing for many years with no clutch problem. As far as I am concerned synthetic oil does not present any issues with wet clutches.

Reactions: elkguide
SundayRdr

SundayRdr

Mar 1, 2016
McMinville Tn
Use one of the oils specified in the manual, viscosity is important in newer vehicles. Tolerances are MUCH tighter than a old school 350small block. Oil viscosities and specifications matter.
I will agree with Ohana on this. I used 10w40 in my 700 and it used 1.5 qt between oil changes. The clutches would slip high rpm 2nd and low rpm 3rd unless the engine was at normal operating temperature. So you can't go wrong by using what is specified by the owners manual.

Reactions: JTW
D

Dasmoeturhead

I will agree with Ohana on this. I used 10w40 in my 700 and it used 1.5 qt between oil changes. The clutches would slip high rpm 2nd and low rpm 3rd unless the engine was at normal operating temperature. So you can't go wrong by using what is specified by the owners manual.
10-40 is specified by Hondas chart. So is 10-30, and 0-30 wt . just depends on temperature range. I haven't used a drop of 10-40 since the 1st service. Now I'm due for the 2nd service. I think the 10-40 makes the engine a bit quieter, and smoother. When its 90 degrees outside I like that extra cushion. JMHO.

Reactions: JTW
D

Dasmoeturhead

From the Honda Pioneer owners manual in case you didn't get one.

lrandy129

lrandy129

Curmudgeon
Lifetime Member
Nov 4, 2016
NELA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking at that shot of the OM, you could run 0w30 for anything from -30 to +110. 0w anything makes me squint, but my truck calls for 0w20!

Anybody have any insight into viscosity improvers used to create multigrade oils? To my understanding, the larger the range, the more additives it takes and it's those additives that break down and create deposits. I wouldn't think it would be an issue with regular oil changes.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Looking at that shot of the OM, you could run 0w30 for anything from -30 to +110. 0w anything makes me squint, but my truck calls for 0w20!

Anybody have any insight into viscosity improvers used to create multigrade oils? To my understanding, the larger the range, the more additives it takes and it's those additives that break down and create deposits. I wouldn't think it would be an issue with regular oil changes.

This is an old thread now but still good info. Grab a beer and read on....

Oil education

Reactions: JTW and ohanacreek
advertisement
adnoh

adnoh

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2013
honda gn4 10-40 oil in my 700 and my 1000. @7000 miles between both of them in south fl , no problems at all

D

Dasmoeturhead

Doesn't look compatible. Does it have MA on the bottle?
ok
Nope. No ma. I use it in my honda generator.
The Honda dealership doesn't sell honda oil. They use Bel Ray oils. They don't have the 10-40 I used for the 1st service. It worked great. I really would perfer not to switch oil. Not sure which oil to go with now. Looks like my oil changes will have to be another day. Which pisses me off now cuz its a perfect day to do the service. (Its raining, and I do,t lime the idea of another 80 mile trip to town.

E

ebkoz

Feb 27, 2017
new jersey
Again, up to 80% of engine wear occurs during first startup (cold engine regardless of temperature). The time it takes for the oil to reach the vital engine's components and parts. That being said, for the best and fastest protection during startup is using an oil that has a 0w viscosity rating. Example, if your engine requires (designed to use) 5w-30 oil (w stands for winter) you could/should substitute that oil with 0w-30. This will ONLY allow the oil to flow faster during startup, regardless of what climate you live in. Now if you want the best engine oil protection you should find out (from the Stealer) if you can use full synthetic oil. If it is OK, I highly recommend using ANY full synthetic that is in the recommended ratings. Full synthetic oils have a much better flow rate (full synthetic is better in EVERY rating for oil). The OEM recommends 10w-40, 10w-30, 0w-30. With that said, 0w-30 or 0w-40 would provide the BEST protection. I personally will be using the 0w-40 Mobile 1 when I get my LE.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!