Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
You’re lucky that ain’t one of the last few I sent through the auctions🤣 Nice deal they are very hard to find in the area. I see you’re my neighbor, I’m Spokane Valley. You ride Idahoi assume?

HeadedOut

HeadedOut

Nov 19, 2022
Spokane Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You’re lucky that ain’t one of the last few I sent through the auctions🤣 Nice deal they are very hard to find in the area. I see you’re my neighbor, I’m Spokane Valley. You ride Idahoi assume?
I haven’t ridden anything around here yet. I’ve been looking for beginner places to go for me and the wife to get used to a side by side. I’m from Kennewick originally. So Spokane area is all new to me. I’ve ridden motorcycles all over the dry side of the PNW though. Just not off-road stuff.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I haven’t ridden anything around here yet. I’ve been looking for beginner places to go for me and the wife to get used to a side by side. I’m from Kennewick originally. So Spokane area is all new to me. I’ve ridden motorcycles all over the dry side of the PNW though. Just not off-road stuff.
You and @CumminsPusher should definitely get together for a ride. He can show you the ropes, all he rides are dirt roads anyways so you'll be in good hands. Don't get any more "beginner" riding then @CumminsPusher. 👍

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
A rops is designed for a single event. If it’s not replaced afterward all bets are off.
The bottom line is liability. An insurance co. will not repair a rops.
If you repair anything that an insurance co. will not you assume All responsibility as far as liability goes. If you repair, chop, modify in any way the rops and you or a passenger gets hurt or killed You are the one who will be sued.
That being said, Good Luck and Have Fun.
All true. But It dosnt matter at this point. Its already a salvaged machine and modified/altered every which way of Sunday

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Theres 7Mile in town but that’s where all the kids go and turns into a s***show. There’s a lot of good places around but most are in Idaho. Bunko rd out by Silverwood would be good place to start. There’s some ok offshoots.
How soon will you be rolling?
do you need control arm for your machine? Might have a few things floating around

HeadedOut

HeadedOut

Nov 19, 2022
Spokane Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Theres 7Mile in town but that’s where all the kids go and turns into a s***show. There’s a lot of good places around but most are in Idaho. Bunko rd out by Silverwood would be good place to start. There’s some ok offshoots.
How soon will you be rolling?
do you need control arm for your machine? Might have a few things floating around
I’m out here north of CDA doing a T-Mobile cell tower upgrade today. I can see a bunch of trails and stuff around me. Not too sure what’s around Silverwood but I did buy a 1981 GTI from a guy who lives down the street from the park.

I finished the night I posted the story. The arms aren’t toasted but I will be buying some upgrades control arms at some point. I’ll get through the VIN inspection and then go for some bigger parts/upgrades later. Only thing holding me back right now is my 2001 F350. I just pulled the turbo for an upgrade and a bunch of HPOP and other maintenance stuff. I got the exhaust back pressure delete turbo pedestal and some up pipes that need installed. The upgrade for the HPOP is going to run me $900 alone.

I would say the wife would want to start going out when spring comes around. I’ll ride it whenever I get a chance!

HeadedOut

HeadedOut

Nov 19, 2022
Spokane Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
All true. But It dosnt matter at this point. Its already a salvaged machine and modified/altered every which way of Sunday
That’s what I was thinking. Plus my cousin does the DOL street legal stickers for UTV’s and he already looked at it. I asked him about fixing the roll cage and he said “why? I put stickers on quads all the time and they don’t have a roll cage. That’s for insurance more than anything.” With the registration I have to do I think it’ll be a salvage or rebuilt title. I’ll get the liability or whatever I can but I’m not treating this thing like it’s new off the lot anyway!

HeadedOut

HeadedOut

Nov 19, 2022
Spokane Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Those are some pretty nice beads for your first time welding.
👍🏻
Thanks! My dad was hanging over my shoulder critiquing everything I was doing. I think the 3rd pass on the patch scrap pieces and he went quiet. I asked “how’s that?” to no answer. Took my lid off and he was walking toward the house, “it’s better than I would do! Weld it up, I’m gonna play with the grandkid.”

I only wish I could have got the back side of the frame as well. But the front diff is so close I can’t get the welding tip in there. Maybe in the future if I have to pull the front end apart I’ll get it welded up.

HeadedOut

HeadedOut

Nov 19, 2022
Spokane Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
And, BTW, Chop that cage. I did mine and would never go back to the standard height machine. They look better and they can get into tighter places.
I’ve seen a few other cage mods. Only crappy part, I’m 6’2” and my head is already at the cage height. If I’ve got a helmet on, I’ll be ducked down or hunched down to keep my head off the roof. Wife doesn’t have that problem, but when we’re all together it’ll be really annoying.

What happened with your 1000-5?

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I’ve seen a few other cage mods. Only crappy part, I’m 6’2” and my head is already at the cage height. If I’ve got a helmet on, I’ll be ducked down or hunched down to keep my head off the roof. Wife doesn’t have that problem, but when we’re all together it’ll be really annoying.

I chopped mine 4-1/2" and I'm 6'2" and have no issues with that

mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Submerged and hydro locked, poor maintenance, collided with rocks, stumps, trees, general abuse and driver error.

My wife and I are both 5'10" or 11", we have plenty of head room. We do not use helmets, that could be a deal breaker. The chop worked for me, but might not be for you. All about personal taste and usability.

Here is my build thread: P1000 - My PIONEER 1000-5 Adventure.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I’m out here north of CDA doing a T-Mobile cell tower upgrade today. I can see a bunch of trails and stuff around me. Not too sure what’s around Silverwood but I did buy a 1981 GTI from a guy who lives down the street from the park.

I finished the night I posted the story. The arms aren’t toasted but I will be buying some upgrades control arms at some point. I’ll get through the VIN inspection and then go for some bigger parts/upgrades later. Only thing holding me back right now is my 2001 F350. I just pulled the turbo for an upgrade and a bunch of HPOP and other maintenance stuff. I got the exhaust back pressure delete turbo pedestal and some up pipes that need installed. The upgrade for the HPOP is going to run me $900 alone.

I would say the wife would want to start going out when spring comes around. I’ll ride it whenever I get a chance!
Mechanical diesel, nice. Everything I own is but Dodge. Well a couple friends and I heading into Montana from Kellogg next Friday, stop at the Montana bar for food/drinks you’re welcome to come. Take out the access cover under your dash on floorboard for heat, Idaho is very lenient on plates..

HeadedOut

HeadedOut

Nov 19, 2022
Spokane Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@CumminsPusher I would love to but we have a bunch of traveling to do before I am off FMLA. Had our first kid in April and immediately went to 6-10’s. Finally finished the new school south of Gonzaga and I’m taking 12 weeks off for some bonding time with my little dude and the lady. Plus we’re headed out for Thanksgiving and Xmas. I will take you up on the offer, but it’ll just be later 🤙🏼

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
“Don’t join COPART!” Says my loving wife. “You don’t need another project!” …her follow up. Well thankfully for me, she’s not my project buying supervisor so I bought it anyway!
View attachment 363683
Did the “buy it now” on Copart for this 2016 1000-5 with only 4,000 miles sight unseen for $6,700. We had been talking about a boat, or a UTV for her and the kid and dogs while I’m on my enduro cruising some trails. It popped up one night so we decided to get it in hopes the damage wasn’t too bad. The listing said “runs and drives” and I’m certain I escaped death from falling off the ramps getting onto a very tall trailer. The only thing holding the tire on was a weak lower arm and the axle.
View attachment 363684
You can see the top of the ball joint that was sheared off. And the upper arm ripped the cv boot when it let go.
View attachment 363685
Once I got to the yard to actually load this and get it back I noticed the front left control arm was bent back into a crushed frame. The upper ball joint had sheared off and the brake lines for the front and rear driver side were pinched in 2. Someone got gnarly with this but it wasn’t so bad it couldn’t be saved.
View attachment 363686
View attachment 363688
View attachment 363689
I used a tie down strap and some chain to wench the front control arm knuckle out. Once I got it pulled back to the normal position, I made a plate that fit over the damaged area and cupped the frame and control arm together for strength. Ran a flame over the frame to push the crunched part up a little more flat to mate with the rear of the plate and welded it up. I had to buy a mig welder from HDepot. Never welded before so I ran a few passes over the patch metal spares to dial the welder in. I don’t think it turned out bad! A couple spots were spatter crap between the big gaps but it’s still solid.
View attachment 363690
View attachment 363691
View attachment 363692

Once I got this finished and went to put the axle back in, I found out the dang thing was bent and the bearings were dimpled! I’m all my excitement getting it welded back up I didn’t think about inspecting the other parts. Took another week to get a new axle. In the mean time I disassembled the bad axle and I’m keeping the bearings and races to forge a knife or axe to keep in the sxs.
View attachment 363693
Anyhow, I finally finished it all up tonight and ripped around the yard! I was worried the trans and diff/linkage may have been beat up with how bad the rig was smashed in the front left. But, it shifts through all gears and between 4/2/turf just fine! I had the battery off for 3 weeks while I’ve dealt with parts and time to fix this. As soon as I plugged the battery in and turned the key, fired right up! I’m highly impressed with this rig! Just gotta name it!

Now, the question is, which one of you little dirtbags wrecked nana and pop pop’s pioneer?! Lol
Welcome from NW Arkansas!

HeadedOut

HeadedOut

Nov 19, 2022
Spokane Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Submerged and hydro locked, poor maintenance, collided with rocks, stumps, trees, general abuse and driver error.

My wife and I are both 5'10" or 11", we have plenty of head room. We do not use helmets, that could be a deal breaker. The chop worked for me, but might not be for you. All about personal taste and usability.

Here is my build thread: P1000 - My PIONEER 1000-5 Adventure.
If I run outside and look, how would I know if the clutch cover is updated?

Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Here is the clutch update thread.
Clutch update done or not

Have a good day

HeadedOut

HeadedOut

Nov 19, 2022
Spokane Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here is the clutch update thread.
View attachment 363879
Have a good day
First of all, nice “search slap.” Lol I even said earlier I know how to use the search. I saw that @mlynch001 mentioned it in his build thread and immediately asked him instead of looking.

Second, thanks for the thread share. I’ll take a look as soon as I can get the bed to pop up!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!