13249E5E 69D5 4B63 8746 611BEA28494F

HeadedOut

HeadedOut

Nov 19, 2022
Spokane Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Neighbors yard?
Yes and no? Told the girl at our 1yr dating “you pick, house or ring?” Luckily she chose house. So we moved her from her apartment back to her mom and dads (green house in photo) and then I walked her over to an abandoned house next door. I bought the abandoned lot next to her moms out of a foreclosure for $100k. Came with a shop, mother-in-law garage, and house on .34 of an acre! Her mom quick claimed us the deed to her place so now we own .59 acres on the same block. Saving up for a 4family dwelling to run and leave it in my sons name.

so yeah, “her” lawn, but I have to take care of it when it grows back. Lol it’s under the apple tree where not much grows anyway! 😆

HeadedOut

HeadedOut

Nov 19, 2022
Spokane Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For anyone doing COPART or a "title in contention/lost title" here is what I went through in Washington State. No idea if anyone will be buying from an insurance auction, or have a lost title vehicle come up, but here is what I had to do for both situations.

Step 1.
For COPART you'll get paperwork from them after you buy. They've done this for a while so they have their stuff setup with all the paperwork you need for the inspection.
For TIC/Lost title, my VW Bus for example, I had to get a simple bill of sale from the guy who I got it from.

Step 2.
Head to the Department Of Licensing. Tell them you've got an insurance auction purchase, or need a lost title and they will fill out a form called Washington State Patrol Inspection Request. Make sure you have the VIN for whatever you're wanting to title. The COPART papers have it on there, and the VW Bus had its VIN still intact. For Washington, you HAVE to have that paperwork from the DOL first before making an appointment.

Step 3.
Each state is pretty easy to find the VIN Inspection process. Seems like I ran through 10 or so states and each came right up in DuckDuckGo. For us, there is a list of repairs or parts you MUST have before doing the inspection too. Luckily for me the only things I had to buy were control arm and axle parts which were not on the list. https://www.wsp.wa.gov/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/rebuilt_salvage_vehicle.pdf
For the VW, its not a salvage, just lost title. They need the same parts for the bus, motor/trans/doors/wheels/etc and then it will be a normal title. Hopefully nobody from the 70's will come say the bus was stolen! They have 3 years for anyone to come forward and provide proof that this vehicle was theirs, and was never sold, to retake possession of the "title in contention."

Step 4.
Make the appointment. It took the Washington State Patrol VIN Inspectors about 8 minutes to do the inspection. The appointments are 30 minute blocks and we spent more time visiting about riding SXS's than anything else.
For my VW, I ended up losing the inspection papers when I moved to our new place. I first had the bus inspected in 2015 and never turned the paperwork in. At the time, it was my fault, because I thought that you had to WAIT 3 years before turning the paperwork in so someone could possibly claim the bus. NOT correct. As soon as you get the paperwork, you have 60 days to get the title from any licensing place to claim the vehicle. Ill have to take the bus back out to my station to get it reinspected.

The inspectors said that some vehicle issues can be overlooked in comparison to the newer stuff like COPART. For example, my VW was parked in 1984 and never driven again. The engine was removed to make a dune buggy and was abandoned. Because the 1976 VW Bus engines are hard to come by, and the vehicle is considered a "collectors vehicle" in Washington, I didn't have to have an engine with the bus when I first took it to inspection. I can't just toss a V8 in it and call it good! I would highly recommend calling your local inspector and asking. They told me to ask if I came across something like that again and usually, if its an antique or a hard to come by part that is necessary for inspection, they can let it fly.
2057BA58 1A02 4C2A BEC6 F24252C09C40

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
For anyone doing COPART or a "title in contention/lost title" here is what I went through in Washington State. No idea if anyone will be buying from an insurance auction, or have a lost title vehicle come up, but here is what I had to do for both situations.

Step 1.
For COPART you'll get paperwork from them after you buy. They've done this for a while so they have their stuff setup with all the paperwork you need for the inspection.
For TIC/Lost title, my VW Bus for example, I had to get a simple bill of sale from the guy who I got it from.

Step 2.
Head to the Department Of Licensing. Tell them you've got an insurance auction purchase, or need a lost title and they will fill out a form called Washington State Patrol Inspection Request. Make sure you have the VIN for whatever you're wanting to title. The COPART papers have it on there, and the VW Bus had its VIN still intact. For Washington, you HAVE to have that paperwork from the DOL first before making an appointment.

Step 3.
Each state is pretty easy to find the VIN Inspection process. Seems like I ran through 10 or so states and each came right up in DuckDuckGo. For us, there is a list of repairs or parts you MUST have before doing the inspection too. Luckily for me the only things I had to buy were control arm and axle parts which were not on the list. https://www.wsp.wa.gov/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/rebuilt_salvage_vehicle.pdf
For the VW, its not a salvage, just lost title. They need the same parts for the bus, motor/trans/doors/wheels/etc and then it will be a normal title. Hopefully nobody from the 70's will come say the bus was stolen! They have 3 years for anyone to come forward and provide proof that this vehicle was theirs, and was never sold, to retake possession of the "title in contention."

Step 4.
Make the appointment. It took the Washington State Patrol VIN Inspectors about 8 minutes to do the inspection. The appointments are 30 minute blocks and we spent more time visiting about riding SXS's than anything else.
For my VW, I ended up losing the inspection papers when I moved to our new place. I first had the bus inspected in 2015 and never turned the paperwork in. At the time, it was my fault, because I thought that you had to WAIT 3 years before turning the paperwork in so someone could possibly claim the bus. NOT correct. As soon as you get the paperwork, you have 60 days to get the title from any licensing place to claim the vehicle. Ill have to take the bus back out to my station to get it reinspected.

The inspectors said that some vehicle issues can be overlooked in comparison to the newer stuff like COPART. For example, my VW was parked in 1984 and never driven again. The engine was removed to make a dune buggy and was abandoned. Because the 1976 VW Bus engines are hard to come by, and the vehicle is considered a "collectors vehicle" in Washington, I didn't have to have an engine with the bus when I first took it to inspection. I can't just toss a V8 in it and call it good! I would highly recommend calling your local inspector and asking. They told me to ask if I came across something like that again and usually, if its an antique or a hard to come by part that is necessary for inspection, they can let it fly.
View attachment 365791
You need a new barber! HA!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Its winter. Nobody sees me but the dogs in the shop and friends at work with hardhats lol
Same, Same! HA! Every time I go to my barber he say's it's been a while hasn't it? Yep when I can't see out of the side view mirrors, I go due to my Boz O Clown hair doo.

HeadedOut

HeadedOut

Nov 19, 2022
Spokane Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Swapped the new talon rims out for the old patched set. They’re absolutely better looking and the Maxxis tires have nearly zero wear. Put the new shade cover on in lieu of a hard top for the time being. We already like it and for $80 it’s not a bad deal.
BFC1B6BD AD6A 4079 992F D79BFF3FED31

F321F3A3 4A5A 46D4 919E 7425827451DC

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!