P500 16 vs 17 gearing

SChilla

SChilla

Mar 27, 2017
Soldotna, Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
so I saw somewhere about the 17 getting gear improvements. And a lot of guys were concerned about the difference and if it would be too high geared. So the 17s have been out a while, what is the final verdict on the different gear for the 17? Is it drastic? Is it barely noticeable? Side by side real world comparison if u have one.... thanks

Reactions: Curtis
NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
Never drove a 16 but I think my 17 gearing is nice. From what I understand the 16 trans was L,1,2,3,4 and the 17 is 1,2,3,4,5. I still have the stock tires on my machine and would probably only go to 25" or 26" I find that my first gear is actually usable. I can still crawl over the steep rough stuff in second gear.

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It's definitely a noticeable difference from them switching from L to 1. You're not hitting the rev limiter right away. Still low enough to crawl/pull something if need be. Other then that I don't think anyone is gonna notice a big difference in the rest of the gears.

I do wish there was another gear for travel. The machine screams when going anything above 35 and it just feels like there should be another gear. Same thing with the older ones but they handle it just fine. Trying not to run it to run it as hard as I did the 15 but hey it's a Honda ;)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!