P700 17' 700 no start situation.

wrhii

wrhii

Lifetime Member
Feb 22, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One of the ranch's 700s caught fire after an extended hard run between pastures. Thatch was burning between the engine and the fuel tank on top of the wiring harness. Cowboy said buggy was running while he was spreading the fire around to get it out.. he said when he was done it had quit running. Fire had melted the insulation off of about 23 wires allowing them to get together. Most looked to be the smaller 18-20 ga. wires. I spliced and repaired the harness. Following that when I tried to start the machine, I had no spark and no injector pulse. Checked everything again and had discussion with our SXS Club Honda Tech. Replaced ECU and still no start..Replaced the stator/pickup and still no start.. Finally, after thinking the resistance might have been to high in the repair wire I used, I replaced the entire harness. Same thing, No spark and no injector pulse. Is there anything inside these systems that will cause this. One of the sensors maybe got a little voltage or something and telling the ecu to shut down. BTW, the dash functions as it should and shows no codes. @HondaTech may see this and chime in but at this point $1k+ into this thing and then have to take to the dealer will make me puke. Maybe ,for different reasons, somebody has run into this before..
Thanks
Billy

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
There is no magic switch (Ford ranger with the G load switch in the glove box anyone?) to make it not run.
In the manual it should have a flow chart for no spark type issues, maybe some one with access to one will pipe up.

@Neohio

It sounds like somthing is fried, need to figure out what.

Reactions: wrhii
wrhii

wrhii

Lifetime Member
Feb 22, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There is no magic switch (Ford ranger with the G load switch in the glove box anyone?) to make it not run.
In the manual it should have a flow chart for no spark type issues, maybe some one with access to one will pipe up.

@Neohio

It sounds like somthing is fried, need to figure out what.
Yep. Im outta ideas. I replaced the 3 most obvious parts that would cause this.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm with @lee. Start with no spark diag and it will probably lead you to the problem. A PDF manual was posted here recently.

Does the pump prime?

Key on, one side of coil should have batt voltage. Other side should flash a test light that is connected to batt positive. If those are missing, start going back through the wiring. I think there is a relay in there as well (you really need the service manual for this).

wrhii

wrhii

Lifetime Member
Feb 22, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm with @lee. Start with no spark diag and it will probably lead you to the problem. A PDF manual was posted here recently.

Does the pump prime?

Key on, one side of coil should have batt voltage. Other side should flash a test light that is connected to batt positive. If those are missing, start going back through the wiring. I think there is a relay in there as well (you really need the service manual for this).
Yes there is fuel pressure at the injector. All relays and fuses come with the new harness, pretty cool set up. I do know I have batt voltage to the coil. Just no trigger. I keep coming back to the fact that there is no fire AND no injector pulse. They both get orders from the ecm so something is missing or intercepting the signal. Im lost on this

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yes there is fuel pressure at the injector. All relays and fuses come with the new harness, pretty cool set up. I do know I have batt voltage to the coil. Just no trigger. I keep coming back to the fact that there is no fire AND no injector pulse. They both get orders from the ecm so something is missing or intercepting the signal. Im lost on this
Hmmm...
Is the gear display working ok?

wrhii

wrhii

Lifetime Member
Feb 22, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dealer called today, and after 2 1/2 days of diagnostics, found the problem. The throttle cable had melted a little and stuck WOT. Apparently this situation will shut down the ignition programming. No fuel and no spark. I have no idea how he finally found it, but it runs 😁 🤷‍♂️🙃😂. Now, the new recall has it held hostage.
@HondaTech . FYI for all interested.

H

HondaTech

Dealer called today, and after 2 1/2 days of diagnostics, found the problem. The throttle cable had melted a little and stuck WOT. Apparently this situation will shut down the ignition programming. No fuel and no spark. I have no idea how he finally found it, but it runs 😁 🤷‍♂️🙃😂. Now, the new recall has it held hostage.
@HondaTech . FYI for all interested.

Is this the machine we discussed before? I'm glad you got it figured out, I probably wouldn't have thought to look there either.

But yes, if the throttle is wide open the machine cuts fuel to help clear out a flooded engine.

wrhii

wrhii

Lifetime Member
Feb 22, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is this the machine we discussed before? I'm glad you got it figured out, I probably wouldn't have thought to look there either.

But yes, if the throttle is wide open the machine cuts fuel to help clear out a flooded engine.
Thats the one, it whipped me bad. Finally had to take it in to the dealer. Came close to whipping them. They went to the internet and searched for liked symptoms out in the cyber world. They even found our conversation concerning this machine. A very small area on the T cable was slightly melted and caused the cable to stick. The hardest part was having to look at it every day, knowing it beat me.:mad: H Tech, I would have never suspected much less found it.😢

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thats the one, it whipped me bad. Finally had to take it in to the dealer. Came close to whipping them. They went to the internet and searched for liked symptoms out in the cyber world. They even found our conversation concerning this machine. A very small area on the T cable was slightly melted and caused the cable to stick. The hardest part was having to look at it every day, knowing it beat me.:mad: H Tech, I would have never suspected much less found it.😢
What caused the melting?

advertisement
wrhii

wrhii

Lifetime Member
Feb 22, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What caused the melting?
Grass thatch build up around the engine. Has happened several times to the 700s running around the pastures. It wasn't this big flaming thing, just smoldering grass thatch, between the engine and fuel tank, on top of the wiring harness. Many times over the last 4 months Mr Smitty, I wished it had been a Polaris. 🙃

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!