H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Still runs like new. I cleaned and reoiled my Uni pre filter at 10,000 miles. I just replaced it at 19,104 miles with the Spectre automotive air filter available at most auto parts stores for a bit over $30.00. I won’t be cleaning this filter and should get at least 5,000 miles or more before I replace it. My plastic intake tube was clean so I didn’t check the main air filter. I don’t like disturbing the air filter O-rings and I’m very careful to get the O-rings installed properly. I always check the air filter O-rings on a new Talon and all the fluids. This filter comes with high quality shims so it fits 3, 3.5, and 4 inch tubes.

One of the guys got 30 miles on his new Talon and got a load squealing noise. He let it cool then returned home. The dealer didn’t check the sub trans oil and it was empty, not low but empty. The dealer told him it should be ok. 60 miles without oil and most everything inside the case will be scored and blued. Most dealers have rebuilt a sub trans on a Talon or Pioneer 1000 so I told him to get it rebuilt and ride it close to home until they have all the parts as some may be back ordered.

In 2012 Polaris had a few RZR 900’s that got to the dealers without engine oil. They said just add oil and see if its ok. They have to drive them up into the delivery truck and then to the shop all the time running on assembly lube. My dealer did the right thing and installed a new engine on the one he got.

20210402 153728 resized
20210402 153812 resized
20210402 153820 resized
20210402 154008 resized
20210402 155021 resized
20210402 155047 resized

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Yes you do know. It was one of the Ride Now dealers. They did acknowledge it on a work order so he should have no problem getting it fixed. The customer should get a copy of the pre delivery sign off sheet.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
One of the guys got 30 miles on his new Talon and got a load squealing noise. He let it cool then returned home. The dealer didn’t check the sub trans oil and it was empty, not low but empty.
After all this time and hundreds of posts and reports about low and empty Sub-Transmissions and this is still going on???

What are these dealers doing letting machines go out without checking a couple dipsticks and why hasn't Honda stepped in to educate the dealers on proper PDI's.

After 2 years of ownership, I love my Talon but I am VERY disappointed in Honda and losing faith in them by the day :(

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
After all this time and hundreds of posts and reports about low and empty Sub-Transmissions and this is still going on???

What are these dealers doing letting machines go out without checking a couple dipsticks and why hasn't Honda stepped in to educate the dealers on proper PDI's.

After 2 years of ownership, I love my Talon but I am VERY disappointed in Honda and losing faith in them by the day :(
Me too, both of my Talons were delivered with the sub trans 10 oz. low (1/3 of capacity) from a huge dealer in SE Denver. :confused:

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Still runs like new. I cleaned and reoiled my Uni pre filter at 10,000 miles. I just replaced it at 19,104 miles with the Spectre automotive air filter available at most auto parts stores for a bit over $30.00. I won’t be cleaning this filter and should get at least 5,000 miles or more before I replace it. My plastic intake tube was clean so I didn’t check the main air filter. I don’t like disturbing the air filter O-rings and I’m very careful to get the O-rings installed properly. I always check the air filter O-rings on a new Talon and all the fluids. This filter comes with high quality shims so it fits 3, 3.5, and 4 inch tubes.

One of the guys got 30 miles on his new Talon and got a load squealing noise. He let it cool then returned home. The dealer didn’t check the sub trans oil and it was empty, not low but empty. The dealer told him it should be ok. 60 miles without oil and most everything inside the case will be scored and blued. Most dealers have rebuilt a sub trans on a Talon or Pioneer 1000 so I told him to get it rebuilt and ride it close to home until they have all the parts as some may be back ordered.

In 2012 Polaris had a few RZR 900’s that got to the dealers without engine oil. They said just add oil and see if its ok. They have to drive them up into the delivery truck and then to the shop all the time running on assembly lube. My dealer did the right thing and installed a new engine on the one he got.

View attachment 264586View attachment 264587View attachment 264588View attachment 264589View attachment 264590View attachment 264591
WAIT ! You have two Talons , both over a year old and you only have19k on this one !? Are you slowing down ?

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I looked my new one over as good as i know how when i got it home, all oil levels were good, two clips that hold the air box cover on were unfastened( not adjacent), five plastic push rivets and one of the skid plate bolts with the big washers were missing. The muffler and pipes turned very blue on the first 100 mile ride, have started to turn gold now. Hope that doesn't indicate something i cannot check is awry. Hope honda isn't trying to match Polaris quality control.

advertisement
D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R

View attachment 264586View attachment 264587View attachment 264588View attachment 264589View attachment 264590View attachment 264591
19000 sounds good, i thought i might catch you someday but someone reset my odometer. Less than 500 now, got a ways to go.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
How can anyone blame "HONDA" for the poor work ethic, shoddy workmanship, and lack of quality control in a Honda dealership?

Turning out units without oil, missing or loose fasteners, and bad work is a common problem in all service work done in the United States now.

1HasBeen

Oct 20, 2019
Wickenburg, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand
How can anyone blame "HONDA" for the poor work ethic, shoddy workmanship, and lack of quality control in a Honda dealership?

Turning out units without oil, missing or loose fasteners, and bad work is a common problem in all service work done in the United States now.
Maybe they actually believe Honda's B.S. about being like the Maytag Man?;)

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I don't know anything about the "Maytag Man" but I believe the Honda Talon and Pioneer are generations ahead and better than of the other brands with primitive and trouble-prone belt and pulley drive systems.

My wife has owned two Honda suvs - a CR/V and a Pilot that were trouble-free.

I've owned four Honda motorcycles. A Honda CB-450 back in 1973, a 2008 Honda ST1300, a 201o and 2014 Goldwing that were trouble-free.

Honda, Toyota, and Mazda cars have been rated as among the best made and longest lasting cars sold in the US for many years.

I guess I'm a fan of Honda products. Not perfect but among the best.

Last edited:
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I don't know anything about the "Maytag Man" but I believe the Honda Talon and Pioneer are generations ahead and better than of the other brands with primitive and trouble-prone belt and pulley drive systems.

My wife has owned two Honda suvs - a CR/V and a Pilot that were trouble-free.

I've owned four Honda motorcycles. A Honda CB-450 back in 1973, a 2006 Honda ST1300, a 201o and 2014 Goldwing that were trouble-free.

Honda, Toyota, and Mazda cars have been rated as among the best made and longest lasting cars sold in the US for many years.

I guess I'm a fan of Honda products. Not perfect but among the best.
While you are not alone on your Honda ownership experience, you are not comparing apples to apples. How the machine is designed vs. how it leaves the factory and serviced by the dealer is what is of concern in my opinion.

Honda Cars and Honda Motorcycles are absolutely no comparison to today's Honda Powersports Division. They may wear the same badge and share some engineering but that is where it stops.

Honda cars, motorcycles and powersports may be engineered similarly but that is where it ends. A Honda Car dealer is under strict supervision from Mother Honda and Honda autos undergo rigorous inspections/testing before leaving the factory. Powersports on the other hand, not so much as evidenced by hundreds (maybe thousands) of reports of loose/missing items, loose or completely undone wire harness connectors, low or empty oil reservoirs, improper air box and gasket installations, etc. One here and there is one thing but these repeat quality issues are starting to get old.

Basically, the quality is there in the design but the quality control is missing. Without quality control, quality means nothing. It all points to HSC. That plant is where the Talons are assembled and there are issues there that Honda is not correcting. A 2021 Talon just built and delivered with no oil in the sub-trans, this is unacceptable at this point. Honda has been aware of this problem for almost 2 years. This is what is disappointing to me.

Don't get me wrong, Honda makes a great product. They just need to start delivering what they engineer or they will gain a bad reputation (if they haven't already).

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Man you guys can write! I think i just read a whole Novel! Hahaha
Let me contribute lmao

Ok, unless you work in the plant and know there so called “Quality control” you dont know whats really going down, just speculation. Now, with my experience dealing with alot of this younger generation of people today in the workforce (not all but most) and living in a state known for Auto manufacturing with friends that still work in them, the quality process is there. Its alot of the younger help not giving a chit about the job there doing! Just there to get a check and go! I had that same issue with a young tech yesterday and pissed me off and i had to mop it up! Very disturbing trend.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
While you are not alone on your Honda ownership experience, you are not comparing apples to apples. How the machine is designed vs. how it leaves the factory and serviced by the dealer is what is of concern in my opinion.

Honda Cars and Honda Motorcycles are absolutely no comparison to today's Honda Powersports Division. They may wear the same badge and share some engineering but that is where it stops.

Honda cars, motorcycles and powersports may be engineered similarly but that is where it ends. A Honda Car dealer is under strict supervision from Mother Honda and Honda autos undergo rigorous inspections/testing before leaving the factory. Powersports on the other hand, not so much as evidenced by hundreds (maybe thousands) of reports of loose/missing items, loose or completely undone wire harness connectors, low or empty oil reservoirs, improper air box and gasket installations, etc. One here and there is one thing but these repeat quality issues are starting to get old.

Basically, the quality is there in the design but the quality control is missing. Without quality control, quality means nothing. It all points to HSC. That plant is where the Talons are assembled and there are issues there that Honda is not correcting. A 2021 Talon just built and delivered with no oil in the sub-trans, this is unacceptable at this point. Honda has been aware of this problem for almost 2 years. This is what is disappointing to me.

Don't get me wrong, Honda makes a great product. They just need to start delivering what they engineer or they will gain a bad reputation (if they haven't already).
I know very little about the quality of workmanship in the Talon and Pioneer assembly plants. I don't doubt that some of the things you said are true but those conditions tend to exist in any assembly line mas manufacturing process. It has existed in new products as long as I've been paying attention to cars, trucks, motorcycles, etc. Much of that, if it exists, is supposed to be discovered and corrected during the pre-delivery inspections that dealers are required to perform.

But in all cases, it's precisely as Remington described above. It's the American work force.

Ask any small business owner about his challenges in finding, hiring, training, and then retaining good employees.

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
When in the shop and a talon comes in from shipment and needs to be set up the guy who does the set up is most always the most inexperienced. He is the newest employee and starts out doing set ups to get acquainted with all the models. Add that to the fact that the more he sets up in a day the more money he (or she) makes at the end of the week. There for steps will be or could be missed by accident or on purpose, who knows it depends on the shop and the integrity of the person working on it. Years ago I worked in a Kawasaki dealership and I started out doing set ups on models that need to be brought out on the showroom floor. I was advised to skip this and skip that by other mechanics but I did not skip things,,, that was back in the days when Kawasaki's were mostly all 2 stroke machines.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!