19,000 Mile Report

M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
How can anyone blame "HONDA" for the poor work ethic, shoddy workmanship, and lack of quality control in a Honda dealership?

Turning out units without oil, missing or loose fasteners, and bad work is a common problem in all service work done in the United States now.

I blame Honda for not filling the transmissions properly from the factory, and I blame the dealer for not checking it. Mostly Honda though. That's ridiculous they can screw something that important up being a major automaker. Hell, Ford tells dealers not to check the oil level in anything on PDI, as there's a 0% chance it's incorrect. If a domestic like Ford which doesn't have great QC can get that right, Honda bloody well should be able to.

Other than the suspension, I love my Talon. Again though, I bought it for reliability (I kept saying "it's a Honda") and so far my previous Polaris machines have been had way less issues in way more miles. It really is a let down. I will probably try Can-Am next, just to see. I really expected the Honda to have less issues than the Polaris, not way more...

Reactions: Mudder and Fischer
IDIOT

IDIOT

Nov 30, 2018
Kingman, Az.
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I gotta say, Other than having to redesign the air intake system my Talon R has been bullit proof. On the other hand my new 21 can am is not so much and Very difficult to service.
IMG 6194

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I gotta say, Other than having to redesign the air intake system my Talon R has been bullit proof. On the other hand my new 21 can am is not so much and Very difficult to service.View attachment 265013
Other than the factory mistake of assembling the air intake in a way that cost me an engine, mine was bullet proof to. Just one small detail of quality control i guess

Reactions: Mudder and toddvdh
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Other than the factory mistake of assembling the air intake in a way that cost me an engine, mine was bullet proof to. Just one small detail of quality control i guess
What's crazy though is your engine drank dust for 15,000 before it starting having problems.....I'd like to see another brand do that. A polaris can't hardly make that far with clean air!! 🤣

Spankynip

Spankynip

Lifetime Member
Jan 21, 2021
Pa
Ownership

1. Talon X
Maybe it's just me. I would have to ask, who takes their machine out for a rip and doesn't check the oil and tires beforehand? Even when I first bought my machine I did a walk around with the dealer and found out where and how to check all the fluid levels. Am I missing something?

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Maybe it's just me. I would have to ask, who takes their machine out for a rip and doesn't check the oil and tires beforehand? Even when I first bought my machine I did a walk around with the dealer and found out where and how to check all the fluid levels. Am I missing something?
Your absolutely correct! Even though others should be doing thefe job and should be checked. You should also do your do Diligence and check over the basics before your drive off that lot! The salesman right there with you so any issues should be taken care of now! I do that even with a new truck. Too much money at stake. Take care of it now! Dont waist your time b****ing later.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
How can anyone blame "HONDA" for the poor work ethic, shoddy workmanship, and lack of quality control in a Honda dealership?
Well, those are “authorized” Honda dealers. At the least Honda shares blame....

Maybe they ought to just begin shipping units out complete and ready to go as they do their automobiles.....instead of in a box/crate....

Reactions: Remington
T

TheHammerhead

Dec 1, 2018
Peoria
Ownership

1. Talon R
While you are not alone on your Honda ownership experience, you are not comparing apples to apples. How the machine is designed vs. how it leaves the factory and serviced by the dealer is what is of concern in my opinion.

Honda Cars and Honda Motorcycles are absolutely no comparison to today's Honda Powersports Division. They may wear the same badge and share some engineering but that is where it stops.

Honda cars, motorcycles and powersports may be engineered similarly but that is where it ends. A Honda Car dealer is under strict supervision from Mother Honda and Honda autos undergo rigorous inspections/testing before leaving the factory. Powersports on the other hand, not so much as evidenced by hundreds (maybe thousands) of reports of loose/missing items, loose or completely undone wire harness connectors, low or empty oil reservoirs, improper air box and gasket installations, etc. One here and there is one thing but these repeat quality issues are starting to get old.

Basically, the quality is there in the design but the quality control is missing. Without quality control, quality means nothing. It all points to HSC. That plant is where the Talons are assembled and there are issues there that Honda is not correcting. A 2021 Talon just built and delivered with no oil in the sub-trans, this is unacceptable at this point. Honda has been aware of this problem for almost 2 years. This is what is disappointing to me.

Don't get me wrong, Honda makes a great product. They just need to start delivering what they engineer or they will gain a bad reputation (if they haven't already).
That’s why you should by directly from a Honda shop not a multi brand dealer.

Spankynip

Spankynip

Lifetime Member
Jan 21, 2021
Pa
Ownership

1. Talon X
Well, those are “authorized” Honda dealers. At the least Honda shares blame....

Maybe they ought to just begin shipping units out complete and ready to go as they do their automobiles.....instead of in a box/crate....
You should also check to see that they have certified Honda mechanics working there. Some Honda dealers do not.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
You should also check to see that they have certified Honda mechanics working there. Some Honda dealers do not.
Yeah, again, Honda should be on top of that....
Authorized Honda dealerships should not be allowed to hire “mechanics” that have not been properly trained/certified IMO.....

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!