P1000 1st Service

Chelsea_Boy

Chelsea_Boy

Supporting Member
Jan 28, 2024
Paw Paw Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have 72miles and 17.4 hrs on my 23 1000-5. In a couple of weeks we are going on our 1st ride that will put 70-80 miles and 6-8 hrs on the rig.
I am planning to do the 1st service (100 mile / 20hr) myself and have already purchased everything I need. Do I do the service before the ride (80ish miles / 18-19 hrs) or wait til after the ride where I will be 150 - 160 miles and 26-27 hrs ?
Im leaning to do it before the ride and just waiting for the sevice wrench to show and resetting rather that go that far over ... What do you guys think ?

Last edited:
JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I have 72miles and 17.4 hrs on my 23 1000-5. In a couple of weeks we are going on our 1st ride that will put 70-80 miles and 6-8 hrs on the rig.
I am planning to do the 1st service (100 mile / 20hr) myself and have already purchased everything I need. Do I do the service before the ride (80ish miles / 18-19 hrs) or wait til after the ride where I will be 150 - 160 miles and 26-27 hrs ?
Im leaning to do it before the ride and just waiting for the sevice wrench to show and resetting rather that go that far over ... What do you guys think ?
Run it and change it afterwards, no harm. Even then, you'll notice how clean the oil will be.

My 2 cents...

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
don’t matter - next one is at 1200 miles - owners choice - neither choice is wrong

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Work smarter not harder. You can do it before if you like, but being where u are at, Id just wait till your done with that ride when u got things all cleaned up and inspecting everything from that first ride. Therefore your doing it all at once not all over the place. You can go alot longer than they recommend on that. I think i was well over 200 miles on my 16’ when I did mine and the oil was very good. Over 5k miles and no issues there.

As for the idiot wrench, its like our filter/service reminders on our thermostats. Customers tell me they only change filters or schedule routine service when it pops up🤣
*SPOILER ALERT* its just a timer. It doesn't know your filter is dirty or not , It doesn't know your house. Its there to get your atten mainly for folks that do nothing. Same as your rig, Just check the oil on the dip stick, see what it looks like and u be the judge. You know how you ran it and what your intervals should be.
But then again, what do I know Im just a Generator/HVAC tech.🤷🏻‍♂️

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Work smarter not harder. You can do it before if you like, but being where u are at, Id just wait till your done with that ride when u got things all cleaned up and inspecting everything from that first ride. Therefore your doing it all at once not all over the place. You can go alot longer than they recommend on that. I think i was well over 200 miles on my 16’ when I did mine and the oil was very good. Over 5k miles and no issues there.

As for the idiot wrench, its like our filter/service reminders on our thermostats. Customers tell me they only change filters or schedule routine service when it pops up🤣
*SPOILER ALERT* its just a timer. It doesn't know your filter is dirty or not , It doesn't know your house. Its there to get your atten mainly for folks that do nothing. Same as your rig, Just check the oil on the dip stick, see what it looks like and u be the judge. You know how you ran it and what your intervals should be.
But then again, what do I know Im just a Generator/HVAC tech.🤷🏻‍♂️
I dump my portable generator oil every 150 hours - 2 weekends - nuts - looks like new and nothing on magnetic dipstick - I recycle it into garden tractors, etc.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I dump my portable generator oil every 150 hours - 2 weekends - nuts - looks like new and nothing on magnetic dipstick - I recycle it into garden tractors, etc.
Thats funny. I tell some buddies these people that get there standby gens pm’s done yearly and they just ran exercise for the year roughly 12hr if they wait the whole year, I could do the exact same as you.I fill a 5gal jug roughly each week.
I do save some of the spark plugs for my Zero turn they are the same. They have Hardly nothing on them like they just came out of the box.🤣
Do I give those folks $hit for doing the PM yearly regardless? Nope, cuz 90% of them would forget if they didn't.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!