20 Pioneer 1000 5 No power and almost dies after dead battery

R

ryanwahlert

Nov 17, 2020
Anita, IA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Recently my 20 1000-5 had a dead battery, charged the battery and it started and would almost die in gear and seems to have no power. I suspected fouled plugs, replaced them and still the same issue. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: TripleB and TxDoc
R

ryanwahlert

Nov 17, 2020
Anita, IA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have an aftermarket heater wired to the battery with a toggle switch which my son forgot to shut off.

Reactions: ChadD
mj1angier

mj1angier

Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2020
NC
I would check battery voltage. Make sure battery is good.

This
If it was pulled down to far it might be damaged. Also you said heater left on- is it possible that battery froze when dead?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mudder and ChadD
J

jjc1000-5

Dec 30, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Test battery voltage. My battery died after leaving the key on a couple weeks ago. I charged it and had the charge complete light on the charger but it only charged the battery just above 6 volts. Had to take battery out and into house since weather was in the 20's the battery was too cold to charge all the way. Until I could get the full charge it was acting funny like you described.

R

ryanwahlert

Nov 17, 2020
Anita, IA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I charged it and tested the battery and it reads over 13 volts so I'm not sure

J

JAL

Nov 22, 2020
Medford, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I charged it and tested the battery and it reads over 13 volts so I'm not sure
Borrow a car battery load tester. Basically it is a resistance circuit that puts the battery on load for ten seconds and then measures the voltage. It is calibrated in Cranking Amps so that you can see how many cranking amps you have and then compare that to the rating on the battery. Takes the guesswork out of battery replacement.

Also for many modern _cars_ consider supplying voltage to the car when changing out a battery unless you like reprogramming car computers! Don't ask me why I know this. Cannot speak to the Honda 1000-5.

advertisement
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
Recently my 20 1000-5 had a dead battery, charged the battery and it started and would almost die in gear and seems to have no power. I suspected fouled plugs, replaced them and still the same issue. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
did you figure it out? was it the battery causing the issue?

• Haha
Reactions: Remington
Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
did you figure it out? was it the battery causing the issue?
Old thread, and the person you replied to, has not been on since Feb2021.
Probably not going to get an answer.
Wish more people would FINISH a thread they start, it would help many more.
Have a good day

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Wish more people would FINISH a thread they start, it would help many more.
You can say that again.
Would also help some folks not get there DK in the dirt when they keep responding to them just to find out the OP has been MIA on the forum for a few yrs or more.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!