P1000 2017 LE Review

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
OK here's my thoughts
I ran hard yesterday, 4 full grow adults and riding rough trails at about 15 to 20 mph. I needed the shocks on the firm position. When I ran the same trails with 2 people I needed the middle position. So the adjustments deffinetly do make changes. Also these observations are on the factory Bighorns. I will be installing new Rip Saws on all four corners this week. I will revisit these adjustments next week on the same trails.
I tried all the different modes a little. I'm not sure about Sport mode. Seams to me it reves the motor excessive ly before shifting. Auto mode seams to shift alot. Manual mode is something to get used to. 1 plus in Manuel mode it automatically down shifts when you slowdown. Then you only need to upshift. I'm not used to all the shifting.the six speed does.
I don't like having to stop and go from Hi to Low and 2 and 4wd. Also i think it's stuck in 2 WD lock, may be an adjustment. It will go in and out of 2wd and 4wd but not into turf mode.
Mine won't shift out of 2 WD lock until after a few miles of high speed driving. Then when it does, it lets go with a huge "bang" and a shudder throughout the whole machine. I've learned to avoid situations where I may need 2WD lock or 4WD lock so it suits my needs fine. There really aren't many places where you need 4WD. These machines can go through a surprising amount of muck in turf mode so I wouldn't be too concerned about not being able to use 4WD. It's just the nature of the beast.

Last edited:
J

JTW

Mine won't shift out of 2 WD lock until after a few miles of high speed driving. Then when it does, it lets go with a huge "bang" and a shudder throughout the whole machine. I've learned to avoid situations where I may need 2WD lock or 4WD lock so it suits my needs fine. There really aren't many places where you need 4WD. These machines can go through a surprising amount of muck in turf mode so I wouldn't be too concerned about not being able to use 4WD. It's just the nature of the beast.
I think yours is just an adjustment issue..

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I think yours is just an adjustment issue..
Could be. I only experimented with using it once or twice and my machine said "DON'T EVER TRY THAT AGAIN!!!" So I just said heck with it. Don't really need it. I may try adjusting it but I'm afraid it breaks itself (it's that bad) and I'll be out a couple grand and a couple weeks without a machine. I use this machine to make a living and for all its drawbacks, it works for me.

Reactions: JTW

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Search the forum for the cable adjustment. Finicky but easy.
Thanks. I may give it a shot. Will Honda void my warranty if my 4WD system goes boom? That's what I'm scared of. If that's the case, I can live with turf mode. I'd like to get what was promised by Honda but my real world experience tells me "shut up and be happy that it runs". I don't really want to have any part of this 4WD system because I've read that even in factory spec working order, they are iffy at best. (Noisy to the point of thinking "how did this front diff not grenade itself!!!"). ARRGGHHH!!! I can't do it. Honda is gonna put the screws to me. Until I need 4WD, I'm just gonna go turf. Works for me. Good luck sir.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I don't really want to have any part of this 4WD system because I've read that even in factory spec working order, they are iffy at best.

I'm starting to think you got the wrong Honda.
Maybe a nice CR-V would be more your style.
Take the kids to soccer practice real good.

If the damn thing doesn't work (and it's still under warranty) take it back to Honda and tell them to make it right.
That's what a warranty is.

J

JTW

Thanks. I may give it a shot. Will Honda void my warranty if my 4WD system goes boom? That's what I'm scared of. If that's the case, I can live with turf mode. I'd like to get what was promised by Honda but my real world experience tells me "shut up and be happy that it runs". I don't really want to have any part of this 4WD system because I've read that even in factory spec working order, they are iffy at best. (Noisy to the point of thinking "how did this front diff not grenade itself!!!"). ARRGGHHH!!! I can't do it. Honda is gonna put the screws to me. Until I need 4WD, I'm just gonna go turf. Works for me. Good luck sir.
Void the warranty? That's what it's for.. I'm sure the service guys would rather adjust cables now vs put in a diff.

IMG 4955

IMG 4956

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Just take it back to Honda and let them adjust it. Test it before you leave and make sure it works correctly. Usually takes a small tweak from the book to get it right. Normally the 4wd works right regardless just the dash light is not right. 4wd works awesome. Just takes some adjustment to get it perfect. Cables also stretch during use and might need more adjustments later on. Get a manual. Easy to adjust.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Yes i agree with the above thoughts. I read my book after that thread. I now see the thing shift correctly . It seem to just take it a couple seconds for it to acually change modes. Mine does not change with any noises. I would either take back to dealer (under warranty) or adjust yourself if not.
There are PLENTY of perople here to walk you through the task.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks guys. I'm gonna get a service manual for my rig. Should be able to get 'er fixed up. I usually don't like dealership service. They put a minimum wage flunkie on the job and lots of times it comes back worse than when it went in! Could have done without your smartass comment though lee.

Reactions: JTW
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thanks guys. I'm gonna get a service manual for my rig. Should be able to get 'er fixed up. I usually don't like dealership service. They put a minimum wage flunkie on the job and lots of times it comes back worse than when it went in! Could have done without your smartass comment though lee.
We will all learn together, after you post up pics and a step by step i will be able to do mine!!

Reactions: 0860silverado

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!