Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Just some thoughts after several months. Using the manual shift more than AT, but really like the auto downshifts in MT when slowing down, so I only have to shift up unless I want to select a lower gear on demand. After 200 miles and synthetic oil in differentials, AT shifts still a little harsh on slow acceleration, but smooth on fast acceleration. Will go to synthetic engine oil next change. Like the repositioned side body bars. Have not changed the front shock settings. Question...Does the 2016 or earlier do the auto downshift when slowing down? If so, I would have been happy with a 2016 and saved some bucks. Best adds ons for peace of mind are the Stongmade front bumper/winch and Ricochet rock sliders/floor board protectors. Best comfort add ons are the windshield and rear panel. IMO.

IMG 3375

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Just some thoughts after several months. Using the manual shift more than AT, but really like the auto downshifts in MT when slowing down, so I only have to shift up unless I want to select a lower gear on demand. After 200 miles and synthetic oil in differentials, AT shifts still a little harsh on slow acceleration, but smooth on fast acceleration. Will go to synthetic engine oil next change. Like the repositioned side body bars. Have not changed the front shock settings. Question...Does the 2016 or earlier do the auto downshift when slowing down? If so, I would have been happy with a 2016 and saved some bucks. Best adds ons for peace of mind are the Stongmade front bumper/winch and Ricochet rock sliders/floor board protectors. Best comfort add ons are the windshield and rear panel. IMO.

View attachment 29043
No auto downshift in the early models.

rlutech

rlutech

Jan 18, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Mudder, what would you say you like most about your P500, as well as dislike the most?

Fitzgerald

Fitzgerald

Nov 10, 2016
Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
I bought a 17 because of the auto option. Now having owning and rode, I should have bought a used one and saved the money. It likes to up shift going up hills a lot, and for some reason the auto shift so much harder. I love the Manuel mode.

rlutech

rlutech

Jan 18, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I bought a 17 because of the auto option. Now having owning and rode, I should have bought a used one and saved the money. It likes to up shift going up hills a lot, and for some reason the auto shift so much harder. I love the Manuel mode.
Do you mean in "auto shift" mode, that the transmission shifts hard?

Fitzgerald

Fitzgerald

Nov 10, 2016
Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
Yes, in auto mode it shifts harder. I think it's smoothing out(unless I'm getting use to it). In Manuel it shift very smooth. I use the auto when I'm running down the road, but any trail riding is Manuel mode.

rlutech

rlutech

Jan 18, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yes, in auto mode it shifts harder. I think it's smoothing out(unless I'm getting use to it). In Manuel it shift very smooth. I use the auto when I'm running down the road, but any trail riding is Manuel mode.
That's how I used auto shift on my Rincon. It was fine for roads and rail beds. Any kind of technical or sportier riding, and the switch went to manual.

Reactions: JTW
Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
The '17 has a much better first and reverse gear ratio, at least with stock size tires. And the new shocks/springs ride noticeably better.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
When I was shopping for mine there weren't any 2016s so that was not an option. I do like the auto, but in the snow it shifted way too much. I kept it in manual. It is nice to have the choice. I haven't seen the need for floor board plates... yet. I'm loving that the rig is truck bed transportable. And this is the first machine I've had that momma will actually sit in. That's a major deal.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Mudder, what would you say you like most about your P500, as well as dislike the most?
I do mostly slow wooded trail riding and like the auto downshifts while still in Manual Trans mode and the paddle shifting the most, rarely use true AT mode. Dislike the stock plastic floorboards with no protection. On the wooded trails sticks would bang up under your feet and break the plastic plugs, fixed now with the Ricochet rock sliders. Understand they tried to keep the price down, and adding accessories is half the fun. Wife and I still have separate ATVs, but SxS is a totally new joy. Reminds me of my old FJ40.

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I like the auto but its not what I was hoping for like the 1000. Its nice for just riding around, but any technical stuff I always switch to manual. I really like the fact that it downshifts automatically when in manual so you don't have to worry about that. Just did my first oil change and I think the auto is getting a little smoother each time. Shifts like a dream in manual in which there is no jerking at all. Still getting use to it. Kinda wishing I would have kept my 15 but I wanted a new one so bad so I had to go out and buy one lol. Still love the machine tho. One thing is with the 17 we kinda have the best of both worlds. Mine is in manual most of the time but auto is there for when I don't feel like shifting. To each their own and still a GREAT machine!

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!