BOX1

2020 1000X4 LV Clutch issue

U

Uncle_Gunky

Jan 24, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon x4
So I bought a use 2020 Talon 1000X4 LV late last year, and finally got to take if for a real ride. First ride was great and no issues. covered various terrain, sand winding trails, to rocky hills, to smooth dirt roads, as well as some slow very rocky hills. No issues at all. Later that night we went for a quick night ride. There are about 21 shallow river crossing. I have been on the trail lots of times in other machines so I wanted to see the difference with the Talon. Over all this is an easy trail, and the water crossings were not deep at all, the deepest was maybe 3/4 of the tire in depth. there is a big sand hill after the last crossing. I tried to take the straight shot to the top rather than just going around just to see how the Talon would do. the sand was soo churned up there was no chance I could make it so I backed down to the bypass spot and then went to the top. Still no issues. on the way back just as we were less than a 1/4 mile from the hotel, the engine died when I pulled up to the stop sign. and I noticed the Clutch temperature indicator light lit. we towed the Talon back to the hotel and started checking fluid levels, engine and subtrans both looked good and did not appear to have any water in them. Then after it had sat for a while I started it up and it didn't have the warning light and drove fine. The next day, we went on a longer ride, but was mostly just long gravel road, with some slower rocky trails. Nothing hilly or hard/technical at all. Part way in the trip it started shifting weird, like I was riding the clutch when shifting (slowly letting the clutch out. I have had some folks say it is a battery issue, but it seems like it wouldn't be a battery issue if it clears up when the machine cools down.
What should I be looking into? Oh the machine has just over 2900 miles on it now.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
It not a bad idea to doublecheck battery connections and frame grounds, the one under the drivers seat has been mentioned a few times to need tightening. Besides that I'd try to do a clutch relearn procedure.

Reactions: Blownzuki
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I read a few posts a week or two ago on the subject. I don't recall if it was in the Talon section of this site or another Talon site. A knowledgeable member was replacing the clutches in his Talon. He was doing the work himself and said it was relatively easy. He didn't describe his skill or experience level.

The DCT is actually two small mechanical gear trains. Essentially two mini-transmissions. One holds gears 1-3-5 and the other has gears 2-4-6. Each has a computer-controlled clutch.

If the previous owner of your Talon had a habit of stalling your buggy against a rock, log, or other object as he attempted to climb over it the 1-3 clutch might have a lot of wear. By the word "stalling" I'm describing what happens when heavy throttle is used but the Talon is unable to move. Heavy wear and heating occurs. It's like revving the motor and slipping the clutch in a manual transmission a vehicle.

I hope that's not the case with your Talon but it could possibly be. I wish you good luck.

M

MDFMac

Aug 23, 2020
upstate ny
Ownership

1. Talon X
sounds like what i had going on at one point 1 3 5 clutch prob bad. warm it up and try a clutch relearn if it fails then you will most likely need a new clutch. i abused the hell out of my clutch and it lasted about 1500 miles. the 2 4 6 clutch was fine when i was in there tho

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!