P700 2020 pioneer 700-2 dual battery set up

Ckitting

Ckitting

Jan 30, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
Well I am hoping someone can straighten out my thought pattern here. This would be what I would foresee as a second battery setup. It would allow me to put everything under the seat on the 700 and only have the ignition activated fuse panel for attaching accessories located in the front. That way the front wouldn't be so full of wires and be so much cleaner. I already have my wench installed and feel like I can find a good ground under the front hood for fuse panel.

View attachment 257226
I am waiting for a reply back from Stinger as we speak but a guy down the street from me has a stinger in the same configuration that I show and he also told me it is an isolator but it is indeed a relay isolator just as Stinger describes it in their naming of it. Also as described in earlier threads the relay isolator appears to be a better device to use in a dual battery situation. I am waiting for the reply from Stinger to see if it actually does as in the description of a relay isolator and will automatically use the power from the second battery to add power to the main battery if it does not have enough power to start the engine. I will have to also ask if it will try and charge both batteries at once. That is a good question. I know it will isolate batteries but haven't found how they charge.
I can with 99% certainty say... the stinger relay is just a relay. Once the relay sees 12v, its closing and the batteries are paralleled until that 12v reference is gone. I’m assuming what stinger means by “isolator” is that you can isolate the two batteries from each other by a switch. If you don’t mind manually switching, then ya it’s fine. I just know how I am... in a situation where you’re stuck or trying to get somebody else out, the last thing I want to do is be worried about switching between batteries. It’s not wrong either way, it’s all just how you want it to be set up.

Reactions: NewHere2
osobad

osobad

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
If you use keyed power to activate the stinger the batteries are only isolated with the ignition off. With the ignition on it basically becomes two batteries in parallel. If you use a manual switch you would have to remember to activate it to charge your second battery

R

Rigit

Nov 10, 2020
Nla
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ok. Thanks everyone. I appreciate it. I think the tru isolator is less expensive way to go anyway. If the Stinger was a true relay isolator maybe then it may be considered. I am sure it will take days to hear back from Stinger anyway. I have sent an email to them and asked the questions posted here. Now that I have an idea of what needs to be done I don't really think I need to hear from them anyway. With all the great people here I feel confident in what I need to do. It will be with the tru isolator. Thanks everyone for sticking to this thread so diligently. Every single bit of advice on this site has been spot on and I feel the same with this. I will keep everyone posted and hope I do all this advice proud when finished with the project.

NewHere2

NewHere2

Village Idiot In Training
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2020
High Plains of SD
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
My 700 is setup to winch off either end.

IMG 1778
IMG 1873

I mounted the auxiliary battery under the driver's seat. The battery isolator and my winch contactor are mounted under the passenger side of the seat.

IMG 2623

The auxiliary battery is mounted under the driver's seat. Notice the 100 Amp circuit breaker.

IMG 1870

The fuse block I used was from Honda. Mounted it out under the hood on the passenger side. It gives a clean, factory look.

IMG 1874

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
My 700 is setup to winch off either end.

View attachment 257789View attachment 257790

I mounted the auxiliary battery under the driver's seat. The battery isolator and my winch contactor are mounted under the passenger side of the seat.

View attachment 257793

The auxiliary battery is mounted under the driver's seat. Notice the 100 Amp circuit breaker.

View attachment 257798

The fuse block I used was from Honda. Mounted it out under the hood on the passenger side. It gives a clean, factory look.

View attachment 257799
Very nice, clean install. 😎

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!