P500 2021 Pioneer 500?

M

Mastertinner

Jul 22, 2020
wisconsin
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
When i was looking at p500’s and I asked the salesman for info on the 2021 model, he said they might get a half days notice on the new models before the general public. so I just bought a 2020 and figured with the savings I could always put it toward suspension or something. I could see the 520cc make it into the p500 but there is not much of a power increase there. A front locker would be a welcome addition.

Reactions: Isaiah and futzin
S

Silentx

Feb 26, 2018
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m in the market for a 500 but would love to see what the 2021 has to offer. Anyone have any more news on this? Especially if someone is working as a dealer?
Same here! Dealer just keeps telling me "Significant Changes" Let's hope power steering, more suspension travel and possibly a bit wider say 52" or 54" for stability would be nice!

Reactions: Isaiah
D

Duckhunt

Is the 520cc a noticeable difference than the 475cc on the quads? Low end? High end? Everywhere?

Reactions: Isaiah
S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
Yup, it's 50" for a reason. Some sorta deluxe version with add ons that aren't for everyone sucks. Power steering and radials would be a nice 'deluxe'.....

Reactions: 500oneer and JACKAL
M

Mastertinner

Jul 22, 2020
wisconsin
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Same here! Dealer just keeps telling me "Significant Changes" Let's hope power steering, more suspension travel.
I don't think suspension travel will change with the current suspension and driveline geometry. I was hoping the walker evans shocks I'm thinking about getting would have provided a bit more travel, but they don't😔. You look At polaris and they have as much or more suspension travel as they do ground clearance. With my current tire setup , I have 10"+ of ground clearance and only 5.9" of travel.
My race quad (to old to race anymore) is a modified trx 250r, and one of the best mods was to send in the rear shock and have it completely rebuilt, which one of the benefits was more travel. So I'm guessing honda doesn't have long enough axles to allow more travel. The cv joints would be at to much angle. And I don't see honda spending significant money on suspension geometry, and differential changes on a budget sxs just to gain an inch or two of travel.
But I could definitely see power steering as an option.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Hi, do you know what is the best shocks for pioneer 500 2020, soft shocks for soft ride!
Thanks
No question Elka Stage 3s are the ticket and made in Quebec too. Do they make a difference.... short answer yup!

Combined with Radials (Kenda Bearclaw HTRs in 27x11x12s on all corners with 5-2 rims, is what I have), significant difference, easily 1-2 gears quicker... When the wife notices right away AND drives even faster... headlong into puddles, ruts, rocks...good god...

Best example I can think of....when you ride gravel roads, quick trails and come across unexpected ruts, cross ditches and you hammer the brakes and tense up for the impact.... no tensing up now, (and often no brakes...), just relax soak it up and throttle down. I’ve taken the anti-sway bar off and it floats controlled pillowy soft over obstacles. Never adjusted the compression settings either and rarely bottom out. I smile large and typically laugh every time I ride it, because of the ride and handling. I call it Dozer..(as in bull dozer), capable, practical and so much fun. Elka stage 3s are pricey for sure and for me well worth the admission fee. I’m sure stage 1s or 2s would be great too, very pleased with the build quality.

If you plan to keep it for a while highly recommend Elkas and radials.
Cheers stay safe.
j
C9669485 A3F2 446E B195 E70D8BC582BD

Last edited:
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
DCT is fluid drive continuously variable tranny right? Had that on my Rubicon 500 (I think), could run continuously variable or preset “shifts” that was a great machine bought new in 2000 and ran till stollen in 2014. As I recall I logged 11,000 kms on that machine in brutal conditions and terrain. Changed one spark plug (just cause) and a couple maintenance things. If similar tranny was in P500, with a 520, power steering and selective locker front end.... yeesh... thinking I’d have to maybe buy a second machine for the Mrs... so she’d quit trying to mash mine..😂🤣

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
DCT is fluid drive continuously variable tranny right? Had that on my Rubicon 500 (I think), could run continuously variable or preset “shifts” that was a great machine bought new in 2000 and ran till stollen in 2014. As I recall I logged 11,000 kms on that machine in brutal conditions and terrain. Changed one spark plug (just cause) and a couple maintenance things. If similar tranny was in P500, with a 520, power steering and selective locker front end.... yeesh... thinking I’d have to maybe buy a second machine for the Mrs... so she’d quit trying to mash mine..😂🤣
No. The DCT is what's in the talon/pioneer 1000 and recent Honda ATVs. It simply shifts through gears using alternating clutchs (hence, dual clutch transmission).

What you are describing sounds like the old Hondamatic that debuted in the Rubicon, and was also used in ranchers. It was a hydraulic CVT, but could shift through fixed positions, thus emulating a manual. It was an awesome tranny, but seems like Honda felt there were better choices.

Reactions: Isaiah and 906UP
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
No. The DCT is what's in the talon/pioneer 1000 and recent Honda ATVs. It simply shifts through gears using alternating clutchs (hence, dual clutch transmission).

What you are describing sounds like the old Hondamatic that debuted in the Rubicon, and was also used in ranchers. It was a hydraulic CVT, but could shift through fixed positions, thus emulating a manual. It was an awesome tranny, but seems like Honda felt there were better choices.

Of course Dual Clutch Tranny.... geeez... that would be wicked on a P500 too. Ya the Ruby 2000 series with fluid drive was nice for sure, probably more expensive to build compared to DCT and maybe not as robust for heavier rigs.

Thinking DCT on the P5 would be paddle shift and auto function too? I actually prefer to shift. Current tranny (least on my P5) is a little clunky/finicky until you get it adjusted then it snicks into gear well, for the most part.

Continue to be so pleased with the Dozer, I don’t even keep up or look at new models of SxS’s...
cheers stay safe.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
The 2021 500 should have the 520 engine, DCT with the Low Range sub trans, and a bit more wheel travel with better shocks. I really enjoyed my 500, we have several tough 50 inch trails. A front locker would be great but I don't expect that will happen. We should know next month.

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was at honda dealer Saturday and I think they accidentally put one out. I didn't pay alot of attention but it was orange, and I think it did say 520 but all the rest looked the same. I have never seen a orange 500 is what caught my eye. I don't think orange was ever a color on the 500 im headed into town tomorrow, ill see if there again and try to get a pic

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I was at honda dealer Saturday and I think they accidentally put one out. I didn't pay alot of attention but it was orange, and I think it did say 520 but all the rest looked the same. I have never seen a orange 500 is what caught my eye. I don't think orange was ever a color on the 500 im headed into town tomorrow, ill see if there again and try to get a pic
Would definitely like to see pictures if at all possible.

J80

J80

Lifetime Member
Dec 29, 2018
WNC
I’m getting ready to buy one.. I’m gonna see if they changed anything up on the 2021 to make it better if not a 2020 model is in my near future

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
The quad has had the low range for a few years and a front locker. I think the quad will run 56 mph and around 30 in low range. I had the first DCT Rancher several years ago. I'm hoping Honda will have more then one model with this engine. The DCT quad has a centrifugal clutch for take off. Honda really did a good job with this engine package. Almost makes me want to buy another quad.

Dct engine transmission

Raghorn

Raghorn

Aug 26, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Hey guys, first post here. I have the itch for a pioneer 500 pretty bad. I can't tell you how much time I have poured into reading on this forum and watching videos on youtube. I have seen the P500s in person, but haven't ridden one yet (next step).

That said, before I go looking for a used model or go test drive a new 2020, I have been waiting on the 2021s first. I want to see what changes are coming this year.

That said, I am also looking to get a "bargain" too. Whether that is a well cared for used model or a sale on a new 2020/2021. That is why I am really anxiously waiting for the new information to drop. Does Honda do much for yearly sales/rebates, etc.? I know right now there is a $500 factory to dealer cash back on new 2020s.

Planning on using it mainly for trail riding and hunting, with the very occasional work around the house. Located in SE Idaho.

Reactions: 500oneer
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey guys, first post here. I have the itch for a pioneer 500 pretty bad. I can't tell you how much time I have poured into reading on this forum and watching videos on youtube. I have seen the P500s in person, but haven't ridden one yet (next step).

That said, before I go looking for a used model or go test drive a new 2020, I have been waiting on the 2021s first. I want to see what changes are coming this year.

That said, I am also looking to get a "bargain" too. Whether that is a well cared for used model or a sale on a new 2020/2021. That is why I am really anxiously waiting for the new information to drop. Does Honda do much for yearly sales/rebates, etc.? I know right now there is a $500 factory to dealer cash back on new 2020s.

Planning on using it mainly for trail riding and hunting, with the very occasional work around the house. Located in SE Idaho.
Welcome to the forum.
Many here will say that the purchase price is the cheap part.

Power steering
Locker
Tires/Wheels
Shocks
Skid plate
We haven't found the end of the list to date.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!