P1000 22 P1000 Swamp MPG

R

rudyeng

Oct 27, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hey guys I'm getting really low mileage when riding in the swamp. My typical ride is about 3 hours in and 3 hours out. I Cover about 15 miles each way. When I run the numbers I'm getting about 4.8 mpg. I run full lock 4wd in low gear the entire time. The tires are the 30" cryptids (actually 29").

My speed ranges from 4-8 mph depending on the water level. The 22 P1000 high gear is much stronger and I can actually run it in high but not sure if the new upgrades can handle soft terrain at that speed. I would like to increase my range without adding extra fuel containers.

I understand you guys are getting much better numbers. Any suggestions on how to run the buggy more efficiently ?

Thanks !

Rudy

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You’re going to be losing a lot of MPG to simple drag. Running through air is a lot lot less work than running through a pool. And running through 2” of water is a lot easier than running through 2’ of water. Just nature of the beast. Add less grip in the equation with some mud and things quickly get worse due to wheel spin (Actual miles traveled vs indicated miles traveled).

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wonder if gear reduction would help you out.

Running around in low range is going to increase your RPMs, but high range sounds like it's a bit high for you.

Maybe gear reduction may allow you to run in high range but hit middle ground on the RPMs. I don't really know your operating parameters, but it's a suggestion.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I wonder if gear reduction would help you out.

Running around in low range is going to increase your RPMs, but high range sounds like it's a bit high for you.

Maybe gear reduction would allow you to run in high range but hit middle ground on the RPMs. I don't really know your operating parameters, but it's a suggestion.
Now your gonna make him spend a-lot of money thats gonna make him say, geee I should have stuck with the Milage hit 🤣 FJB

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Better than telling him to stay out of the water in Florida. 😂
He wants better mileage and sure doesn't want to spend money right 🤷‍♂️ 😂 I'm sure there is some high ground trails somewhere

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Hey guys I'm getting really low mileage when riding in the swamp. My typical ride is about 3 hours in and 3 hours out. I Cover about 15 miles each way. When I run the numbers I'm getting about 4.8 mpg. I run full lock 4wd in low gear the entire time. The tires are the 30" cryptids (actually 29").

My speed ranges from 4-8 mph depending on the water level. The 22 P1000 high gear is much stronger and I can actually run it in high but not sure if the new upgrades can handle soft terrain at that speed. I would like to increase my range without adding extra fuel containers.

I understand you guys are getting much better numbers. Any suggestions on how to run the buggy more efficiently ?

Thanks !

Rudy
Rudy I'm not too familiar with your riding areas but when we ride swampy areas if not in low I run high, but either sport mode or manual and keep it in 1st gear. Although probably not as long distance as you do but, usually try to stay out of 4lock just 4WD seems to get me by most times unless it's really mucky bottom. If it's just deep water I've done 2WD just fine. But like others mentioned, combination of low and 4lock will kill your mpgs for sure

advertisement
JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Jen Elio

Thank you for that information ! I'm trying to extend my range without hauling additional fuel. I will try that next time.
Are you getting close to using a full tank just by the 6 hrs you're riding though? If so then you might need to look into a little more ground clearance to eliminate some drag, maybe?
Output image16647421044372

👆 this was kinda soft sandy bottom but I've ran it in 4WD this first time "just in case" then in 2WD multiple times and hooked and moved along just fine. Your cryptids should have no issues at all with traction, way better then my BH 2.0 knock offs.
As far as the fuel range, I've never rode swamp for an extended period of time but we have rode the TN mountains quite a lot and in some occasions (snow) a lot of 4lock. That does eat up fuel quick but still managed to get around 90/100 miles a tank on a good 10+ hr day

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
🤔......define "high ground"
Hahaha I know, Im playing a dumb ass. Move north? 🤣 🥳

All I can say is thank god they fixed the under hood intake being in that deep of water. But Id high snorkel the fuc out of that rig If the OP hasn't done so yet? Deff out of the hood.

The milage issue sounds like when us northerners put on tracks. Just like being in the water like that, same effect, not a alot you can do for major improvement without some expensive mods

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Something I've wondered about with you water-crossing guys: I assume your fan probably isn't going to kick on when your motor is getting a bath, but it seems like I'd want an override switch to cut it off and make sure it's not spinning under water. Is this what you guys do?

@JenElio

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Something I've wondered about with you water-crossing guys: I assume your fan probably isn't going to kick on when your motor is getting a bath, but it seems like I'd want an override switch to cut it off and make sure it's not spinning under water. Is this what you guys do?

@JenElio
Not to mention the full salt bath

R

rudyeng

Oct 27, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I try to remember to turn off the fan during deep water crossings but it's waterproof. I'm sure that's why I blew a fuse last time out. we run in fresh water i.e. Florida Everglades. When the water is a little deeper I use my surface drive.
20140821 183053 resized 1

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I try to remember to turn off the fan during deep water crossings but it's waterproof. I'm sure that's why I blew a fuse last time out. we run in fresh water i.e. Florida Everglades. When the water is a little deeper I use my surface drive.
You know, I don't think it ever came up in that thread (only partly remembering) that your fan may have been churning under water...

But as a guy who had his stock fan break up without water crossings, I'd like to send you a caution:

See my thread "fan fail"

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!