Status
Not open for further replies.
Zeppelindad

Zeppelindad

Apr 14, 2020
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Talon X
I saw the reviews ripping on the display and thought it couldn't be that bad but it really is. Its too small and no color. How can you drive in manual mode when you can't see the rpm's? For what you pay for the machine, this should be a world class display. I really miss my CanAm Commander display where it was much larger, user configurable (RPM's or MPH as the main display), items in color, display in front of you, etc. I have to squint to read it and it's in the middle of the dash. Looking away while driving is not a good idea. Bad design. I may figure out how to add some real gauges that I can actually see.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I do agree the display is substandard but I’ve never been concerned with RPM, just something you feel. Won’t let you overrev anyways. Sounds too loud shift, lugging shift. Shift differently depending on needs anyways. I’ve never looked at rpms when shifting a truck, same thing

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yes, its location sucks.

I built this for mine and mounted to the steering column so it moves up/down when you tilt the wheel. Not a perfect solution but made it much easier to read when on the move...

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Yes, its location sucks.

I built this for mine and mounted to the steering column so it moves up/down when you tilt the wheel. Not a perfect solution but made it much easier to read when on the move...

View attachment 208273
Looks good. That’s where it should’ve been in the first place

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yes, its location sucks.

View attachment 208273
Like CP, I shift by feel/sound (when I'm not in auto which is very good for my riding). Once upon a time, I'd focus on things I didn't like, to the point of learning to HATE them. But over time I've learned that accomplishes nothing and now accept "it is what it is". #oleguy

Paul - do you have any photos of how you mounted the gauge assembly on the steering pod? I know about stripping back the wiring harness to get the necessary wire length but not sure on the mounting hardware - just a couple of screws/bolts through the bottom of the gauge assembly, if I decide to move it in the future?

Took the Talon for a ride in the rocks (baseball to basketball sized) and was again pleasantly surprised at how well this vehicle works for me as a dirt bike replacement. I never had the riding skills to ride loose rocks so this has opened up all of the thousands of miles of jeep roads here and I'm really excited about it.

IMG 3997 XL

IMG 3964 XL

Last edited:
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Paul - do you have any photos of how you mounted the gauge assembly on the steering pod? I know about stripping back the wiring harness to get the necessary wire length but not sure on the mounting hardware - just a couple of screws/bolts through the bottom of the gauge assembly, if I decide to move it in the future.
I engineered and 3D print the mount so that the back of the display is covered and the wires are hidden. It bolts to the bolt that holds the paddle shifter trim on. It was an engineering marvel, took me like 5 tries to get it right...

20200111 112253

20200111 112302

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Like CP, I shift by feel/sound (when I'm not in auto which is very good for my riding). Once upon a time, I'd focus on things I didn't like, to the point of learning to HATE them. But over time I've learned that accomplishes nothing and now accept "it is what it is". #oleguy

Paul - do you have any photos of how you mounted the gauge assembly on the steering pod? I know about stripping back the wiring harness to get the necessary wire length but not sure on the mounting hardware - just a couple of screws/bolts through the bottom of the gauge assembly, if I decide to move it in the future?

Took the Talon for a ride in the rocks (baseball to basketball) sized rocks and was again pleasantly surprised at how well this vehicle works for me as a dirt bike replacement. I never had the riding skills to ride loose rocks so this has opened up all of the thousands of miles of jeep roads here and I'm really excited about it.

View attachment 208278

View attachment 208279
You definitely don’t need to shift Talon as much as Pioneer. It is VERY good at acknowledging where it needs to be ahead of time.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I engineered and 3D print the mount so that the back of the display is covered and the wires are hidden. It bolts to the bolt that holds the paddle shifter trim on. It was an engineering marvel, took me like 5 tries to get it right...

View attachment 208294

View attachment 208293

You need to produce those. They would sell. I really like that.

Last edited:
Radar

Radar

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 10, 2020
California
Ownership

1. Talon X4

View attachment 208294

View attachment 208293
Looks awesome. If you are going to sell them? Please let Me know. Peter

H

HondaTech

Other brands wow you with fancy displays and electronics, but won't make it back home.

Ford use to be the same way with the super duty, fancy interior and infotainment stuff but the engine wasn't going to make it.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Other brands wow you with fancy displays and electronics, but won't make it back home.

Ford use to be the same way with the super duty, fancy interior and infotainment stuff but the engine wasn't going to make it.
Because of their reliability reputation, I never considered a Poo Poo when shopping, it was either Yamaha or Honda. But when I sat in a Poo, I was wowed by its big screen, color info center - instant envy occurred. :oops:

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Looks awesome. If you are going to sell them? Please let Me know. Peter

This offering was limited to the first 100 "Likes" and 100 Likes accomplished. Any likes after @Harveydee will be ignored.

I thought about it at first but wanted to test the durability.

Now that I have about 6 months and 1500 miles on it without any problems, I may consider selling them. The others available on the market are bulky and don't move with the tilt wheel like mine (that is the main reason I made my own). The wiring harness requires taking apart and a couple ground wires extended and I still need to create a better switch plate and one for a unit without the Rugged Radio but I I'm thinking...

$75 for the relocation pod.
$25 for a blank or the 6 place switch plate to cover the old hole (includes optional Talon logo)
$50 For the Live Valve face plate (included optional suspension switch relocation)
$100 for a custom switch plate.

You will need to wait your turn. Like this post only if interested at those prices If not interested, don't hit the like button. These kits are custom made one at a time so when it is your turn, I WILL CONTACT YOU!

This is the only way to get on the list so ABSOLUTELY DO NOT PM ME about these relocation kits, I will not answer any inquires about them (unless I contacted you first).

This offering was limited to the first 100 "Likes" and 100 Likes accomplished. Any likes after @Harveydee will be ignored.

Last edited:
H

HondaTech

Because of their reliability reputation, I never considered a Poo Poo when shopping, it was either Yamaha or Honda. But when I sat in a Poo, I was wowed by its big screen, color info center - instant envy occurred. :oops:

Don't get me wrong the Pro XP with included audio, cameras and displays are impressive to look at. But i want to ride my machine not wrench on it.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Don't get me wrong the Pro XP with included audio, cameras and displays are impressive to look at. But i want to ride my machine not wrench on it.
Same here. I'm usually solo and hope to spend many thousands of miles in the desert backcountry - reliability is my first priority.

Radar

Radar

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 10, 2020
California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I would like to purchase one from you, if you are going to sell them. Very impressive. Peter

Reactions: Biteme
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I thought about it at first but wanted to test the durability.

Now that I have about 6 months and 1500 miles on it without any problems, I may consider selling them. The others available on the market are bulky and don't move with the tilt wheel like mine (that is the main reason I made my own). The wiring harness requires taking apart and a couple ground wires extended and I still need to create a better switch plate and one for a unit without the Rugged Radio but I I'm thinking...

$75 for the relocation pod.
$25 (plus $50 refundable core charge) for an exchange wire harness (if you don't feel comfortable doing your own).
$25 for the 6 place switch plate to cover the old hole.
$50 for a custom switch plate.

Like this post only if interested at those prices and I will use that as a count and see what I can do depending on interest. If not interested, don't hit the like button so that the count is accurate.
I don't have a Talon, but if I did I would have hit the 'like' button and buy one. Don't depend solely on the number of likes you get here, most Talon owners will never see it. I say go for it, you got the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!