Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I thought about it at first but wanted to test the durability.

Now that I have about 6 months and 1500 miles on it without any problems, I may consider selling them. The others available on the market are bulky and don't move with the tilt wheel like mine (that is the main reason I made my own). The wiring harness requires taking apart and a couple ground wires extended and I still need to create a better switch plate and one for a unit without the Rugged Radio but I I'm thinking...

$75 for the relocation pod.
$25 (plus $50 refundable core charge) for an exchange wire harness (if you don't feel comfortable doing your own).
$25 for the 6 place switch plate to cover the old hole.
$50 for a custom switch plate.

Like this post only if interested at those prices and I will use that as a count and see what I can do depending on interest. If not interested, don't hit the like button so that the count is accurate.
How many pledges do you need to fire up production?

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
How many pledges do you need to fire up production?
There is enough interest.

The Display Mount design is complete. I have material and can start printing them today. They take almost a day each to print, I will start printing today and work out the problem below.

I have one exchange wire harness available at this time.

It is the Switch Panel that is a little bit of a hold up. I don't like how it mounts and it only fits with the Rugged Radio installed. I have not had a chance to engineer a unit for a stock dash as I don't have one. A ridding buddy can bring his over, I just haven't had time.

Also have issues with the finish when 3D printed. Although it looks good in my machine, it took several tries to get the finish right. It takes 3 print jobs to get one usable unit and It is not what I consider a marketable piece right now. I am working on converting it to solid ABS that will be CNC machined but still running into mounting problems because the bottom is difficult to mount and I still need to figure out the stock mounts.

I imagine it will be at least 2 weeks (maybe up to 4) before the first units are ready to ship.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

The Display Mount design is complete. I have material and can start printing them today. They take almost a day each to print, I will start printing today and work out the problem below.

It is the Switch Panel that is a little bit of a hold up. I don't like how it mounts and it only fits with the Rugged Radio installed. I have not had a chance to engineer a unit for a stock dash as I don't have one. A ridding buddy can bring his over, I just haven't had time.

Also have issues with the finish when 3D printed. Although it looks good in my machine, it took several tries to get the finish right. It takes 3 print jobs to get one usable unit and It is not what I consider a marketable piece right now. I am working on converting it to solid ABS that will be CNC machined but still running into mounting problems because the bottom is difficult to mount and I still need to figure out the stock mounts.

I imagine it will be at least 2 weeks (maybe up to 4) before the first units are ready to ship.
No rush whatsoever from my seat. I’m just glad we have someone here making a plug and play unit....

I’m happy to see you work out the bugs, include user friendly instructions and deliver something we’ll be happy with. So thanks for the effort...👍👍

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
No rush whatsoever from my seat. I’m just glad we have someone here making a plug and play unit....

I’m happy to see you work out the bugs, include user friendly instructions and deliver something we’ll be happy with. So thanks for the effort...👍👍
Who said anything about instructions :cool:

TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X

I'd be interested in a simple blank plate just to fill the space vacated by the cluster. I already have switches mounted in the center cubby. Guessing there would be more that have the same considering the popularity of the XTC, Honda and such switch plates.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'd be interested in a simple blank plate just to fill the space vacated by the cluster. I already have switches mounted in the center cubby. Guessing there would be more that have the same considering the popularity of the XTC, Honda and such switch plates.
#metoo 👍

The Carling switches are waaaaaaaay too complicated for this ole dude 🤔 - I'm more a toggle switch kinda guy. :cool:

TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
#metoo 👍

The Carling switches are waaaaaaaay too complicated for this ole dude 🤔 - I'm more a toggle switch kinda guy. :cool:

I have the Carling style switches in mine but don't need to add any more. Blank plate that said TALON would be perfect for the leftover hole.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

I would definitely want the 6 position switch plate blank for the space where the gauge cluster is removed from...

Reactions: Biteme
TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
Obviously we need choices for the left over hole. ;)

I wouldn't be opposed to making my own plate if it comes to that. Already have all the switches I can stand. :)

49695572388 220e2e355a b
49695572388 220e2e355a b

Zeppelindad

Zeppelindad

Apr 14, 2020
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Talon X
Maybe moving that display is the answer. Don't get me wrong, I like the machine. I had my CanAm Commander for over 5000 miles and we ride yearlong here in Wisconsin. That was my third CanAm and they are tough, powerful, and reliable. I can only remember 3 times in the past 16 years they've left me stranded. I ride them hard. I switched partly to get away from the belt drive and because maintenance on Commander was difficult. changing oil and greasing was an afterthought (unlike on the Talon.) I'd be willing to move the display and see if that helps.
Maybe I don't have enough time in the manual mode but it seemed to really rev high and quick and it always sounded like it was revving too high. From what I read, it won't auto shift you up in manual mode but it will downshift. So, you can over-rev it. If you can't see the redline, how do you know if you're getting close via the sound?
The auto works good and it seems to have learned how I like to ride. I get it. But sometimes I want a little more control and feel with the manual mode. If I am burying it in the corner and revving it up to get some slide, I don't want to look away from the front of machine and squint at the RPM indicator. Where do race car drivers have their tachs? mounted on steering wheel so they can see them.

Reactions: Biteme
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Maybe moving that display is the answer. Don't get me wrong, I like the machine. I had my CanAm Commander for over 5000 miles and we ride yearlong here in Wisconsin. That was my third CanAm and they are tough, powerful, and reliable. I can only remember 3 times in the past 16 years they've left me stranded. I ride them hard. I switched partly to get away from the belt drive and because maintenance on Commander was difficult. changing oil and greasing was an afterthought (unlike on the Talon.) I'd be willing to move the display and see if that helps.
Maybe I don't have enough time in the manual mode but it seemed to really rev high and quick and it always sounded like it was revving too high. From what I read, it won't auto shift you up in manual mode but it will downshift. So, you can over-rev it. If you can't see the redline, how do you know if you're getting close via the sound?
The auto works good and it seems to have learned how I like to ride. I get it. But sometimes I want a little more control and feel with the manual mode. If I am burying it in the corner and revving it up to get some slide, I don't want to look away from the front of machine and squint at the RPM indicator. Where do race car drivers have their tachs? mounted on steering wheel so they can see them.
Honestly, moving the display helps a lot with Speed, Gear and (somewhat) the Temp but the Tach has much to be desired. It moves so fast in the lower gears, it is almost useless.

Thankfully, you can't over rev it. You will hit the rev limiter and the ECU will restrict the engine to 8600 RPM. And you CANNOT downshift if it causes an over rev condition or upshift if it causes a lugging condition, the ECU won't let you, even in Manual mode.

I mostly use auto and manually override it with the paddles when I need a different gear. That is the real beauty of the Talon's paddle system, you can override the auto at any time without putting it into manual mode.

At first, I hit the limiter often, now I only hit it once in a while. You will learn the sound and feel with some seat time and learn to shift accordingly when in manual.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Thankfully, you can't over rev it. You will hit the rev limiter and the ECU will restrict the engine to 8600 RPM. And you CANNOT downshift if it causes an over rev condition or upshift if it causes a lugging condition, the ECU won't let you, even in Manual mode.
Yep, and it’s an indispensable feature IMO......👍

Zeppelindad

Zeppelindad

Apr 14, 2020
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Talon X
Honestly, moving the display helps a lot with Speed, Gear and (somewhat) the Temp but the Tach has much to be desired. It moves so fast in the lower gears, it is almost useless.

I mostly use auto and manually override it with the paddles when I need a different gear. That is the real beauty of the Talon's paddle system, you can override the auto at any time without putting it into manual mode.

At first, I hit the limiter often, now I only hit it once in a while. You will learn the sound and feel with some seat time and learn to shift accordingly when in manual.
Thanks ! Good to know
Yep, and it’s an indispensable feature IMO......👍

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I saw the reviews ripping on the display and thought it couldn't be that bad but it really is. Its too small and no color. How can you drive in manual mode when you can't see the rpm's? For what you pay for the machine, this should be a world class display. I really miss my CanAm Commander display where it was much larger, user configurable (RPM's or MPH as the main display), items in color, display in front of you, etc. I have to squint to read it and it's in the middle of the dash. Looking away while driving is not a good idea. Bad design. I may figure out how to add some real gauges that I can actually see.

When to Manually shift any Machine is a feel!! I rarely even look at my display.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Thanks ! Good to know
When I first got mine I had a love/hate relationship with the Auto mode, but now as it's learned my driving style & I've learned it's shift points I find I use Auto much more and just overide it when needed, now I only use Manual mode occasionally.

Reactions: Biteme and CID
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Count me in when you come up with a production package. Great design.
You need to "Like" this post to be put in line or I will forget.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I would buy one myself! That is some nice work!
You need to “like” Paul’s post. We need to see how much interest there is....👍

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!