First 100 miles

R

Reneb3

Oct 14, 2017
Cross sc
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R
i bought the R because I wanted the suspension. We have a Pioneer and love the engine and transmission but hate the ride on rough trails. We had trouble keeping up sometimes because it would beat us to death. But it works well around the house and was reliable. So what did I expect to improve with the talon, the ride, better seating position, no more steaming butt every time it hit water, and maybe more power and easy to clean. What did I worry about, the locked rear, I4wd, width, and turning radius. So with that said how did it go. Two different outings, one on sand and clay and one three day weekend with a lot of rain and mud. Let’s start with my worries, turns out it does well on the trail, only had to three point a few turns as did most of our group. The extra width made for tight spots in the woods bur was fine. The locked rear is hell on my wet yard and rap driveway but on the trail was fine as was the i4wd. Most of the time I just left it on and never noticed any issues it just worked. I was constantly fiddling with the 4wd lever on the pioneer, the talon not so much. If you lock the front on the pioneer it was hard to turn. I think the i4wd is a good compromise, handled well and no fiddling. So none of my worries were real issues. The ride is top notch. I could keep up with no issues. Power was ample and the seats are awesome. Never once did it steam my butt like the pioneer. It would just glide over woops. Never once did we hit some rut and say things you shouldn’t. Even handles well in our tight south east trails. Fun would be an understatement. So what showed up that I didn’t expect? Mud, this thing is a mud magnet. It slings it everywhere, the roof had 10 pounds alone. No way you could tell it was a talon... mud coats everything. It pelts mud on your legs, arms and on the back of you head. I bet there was 100 pounds of mud on the thing. I used a kids beach shovel to keep most at bay. The windshield was the limiting component on rides. You had to stop often to dig it off and see. I did find if I went slower after a mud hole it would not toss it so high and helped. Then blast back up to the group which is fun and easy. My friend has an x and his was not quite as bad at collecting. Those vents on the side behind the doors pack with mud quickly and completely. The whole thing does clean easier than the pioneer. Overall a pleasure and meet my expectations. I will have to find a solution to the mud issue.

C

carlsonjmc

Lifetime Member
Aug 27, 2016
PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
My first 100 miles on the Talon X surpassed my expectations. I was supper skeptical of the I4 wheel drive and ended up falling in love with it, it doesn’t feel or drive like your in 4 wheel drive until you burp the throttle and the front end goes in the direction you have the front wheels. It was muddy and tight trails, I ran in I4wd all the time as to not mess the trails up. My Pioneer is a ‘16 deluxe (non I4) and wouldn’t have made the corners in 4wd due to pushing the front tires though the slimy corners so I had to run turf mode to compensate. The Talon in I4 with a light and quick blip of the throttle you would turn sharper than my Pioneer. The Suspension is awesome on the X, the thing is super quick in tight trails, the machine goes in the direction you point the wheels with no hesitation. For me it is the ultimate trail machine for my driving style. Great Job Honda!

R

Reneb3

Oct 14, 2017
Cross sc
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R
Mine is no where near the Pioneers turning radius but it was more than adequate. I agree with the pioneers locked front it was hard to turn so I was constantly locking and unlocking the front if I needed it. The i4WD worked well and I never had to mess with it. The two times I had to winch, locked front vs. i4WD would have made no difference. Sure is fun to drive and much better on my old back.

Reactions: carlsonjmc
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!