DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
How do you guys feel about dropping $16k+ on a machine and then having to turn around and drop $900 to keep it from overheating?
I understand some things are hard to get right...but the cooling system? From Honda?

aauman88

aauman88

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How do you guys feel about dropping $16k+ on a machine and then having to turn around and drop $900 to keep it from overheating?
I understand some things are hard to get right...but the cooling system? From Honda?

To me it’s no different than adding arched arms, bigger wheels/tires or any other mod we do. It worked fine stock but I’m a mudder. If I would have taken it apart and cleaned radiator after each mud ride I would be fine, or keep it in less than 10” of water like Honda suggests. Just me though 🤷🏻‍♂️ Im glad to pay it knowing I don’t have to worry about the bars anymore

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
To me it’s no different than adding arched arms, bigger wheels/tires or any other mod we do. It worked fine stock but I’m a mudder. If I would have taken it apart and cleaned radiator after each mud ride I would be fine, or keep it in less than 10” of water like Honda suggests. Just me though 🤷🏻‍♂️ Im glad to pay it knowing I don’t have to worry about the bars anymore
Right...and taking things to extremes outside the "design intent" of the machine...I find that perfectly acceptable. It's the guys who did nothing but drive up mountains in CO and overheated that worry me. Can they all have air in them? I kinda doubt it. It just seems like the 1000 has a marginal cooling system, and that's a big deal to a guy living in AZ who keeps wanting one.

aauman88

aauman88

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Right...and taking things to extremes outside the "design intent" of the machine...I find that perfectly acceptable. It's the guys who did nothing but drive up mountains in CO and overheated that worry me. Can they all have air in them? I kinda doubt it. It just seems like the 1000 has a marginal cooling system, and that's a big deal to a guy living in AZ who keeps wanting one.
Yep I agree with that. Stock setup shouldn’t have to change it. And honestly mine was fine when I could keep the mud from caking in it

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yep I agree with that. Stock setup shouldn’t have to change it. And honestly mine was fine when I could keep the mud from caking in it
That's good to hear. Maybe they do all have air in them...LOL!

Reactions: Biteme
Redmoon

Redmoon

Feb 21, 2019
Prescott Az.
Ownership

1. 1000-5

That’s exactly what I think.

Reactions: Biteme and DG Rider
Herbie

Herbie

Jul 26, 2019
Richmond, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Seems that higher altitudes cause a lot of the Pioneers to overheat.
I ended up adding a 2nd radiator fan on the front of radiator to help push the air thru. Seems to fix problem. And, a lot cheaper than the better radiator setup.

advertisement
TR1

TR1

Lifetime Member
Jan 21, 2016
Hot Springs, AR
Ownership

1. 500
Mine has only overheated once while crawling at Windrock. Had the re flash done the next week and no trouble since. I do try to keep the radiator washed out due to all the dust riding at the offroad parks here.
This is the first I have heard about "re-flash". Could someone explain please. My P5 overheats also.

Redmoon

Redmoon

Feb 21, 2019
Prescott Az.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I ended up adding a 2nd radiator fan on the front of radiator to help push the air thru. Seems to fix problem. And, a lot cheaper than the better radiator setup.
We were riding at about 9k feet when I got three bars last week

Redmoon

Redmoon

Feb 21, 2019
Prescott Az.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We were riding at about 9k feet when I got three bars last week
I would be very interested in the second radidiator fan did you go with a stock fan. How you mounted it. Are you running a second battery because of it? Etc. Pics if possible. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Biteme and Isaiah
Herbie

Herbie

Jul 26, 2019
Richmond, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am running a 2nd battery for all my accessories. The fan was purchased from Amazon (See photos). It has 4 zip ties that pass thru radiator coil fins, with a foam backing between fan and radiator. Very secure.

E561A12C DFB9 45B4 B1B3 48B625FCBCD1 42729032 DB27 4DFE B157 1224A6FFF7BD 51DD1DC8 F290 496D 966B 61C914D0B646

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have had mine over heat twice, when the fan didn't kick on and both times were going pretty slow. I also bought the fan override switch off the forum store, but thought I would get the computer flash done and see if it fixes the problem. Since then I have not had any overheating issues and haven't got around to installing the switch. I used to watch it like a hawk but after the flash I just glance down everyonce in a while. Hope that's all it takes.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is the first I have heard about "re-flash". Could someone explain please. My P5 overheats also.
Honda was having some problems with the machine overheating when the fan wasn't coming on correctly. There is a computer reflash performed by the dealer that seemed to fix the problem, or at least fixed my issue. I believe it was for the 2017 and 2019 but don't quote me on that. According to other members of the forum, it also seemed to improve the shifting of the machine.

Here's a link to a different thread talking about it.

Reactions: TripleB
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Wasn't there some members here who developed a larger radiator for the Pioneer? Did that solve the over heating problem?

Yea but if I were you I'd start with the fan override. Are you in high or low when you're going 5mph?

2018GMC

2018GMC

Nov 26, 2018
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Star Island in Prescott Valley. It’s the closest Honda dealer

my 2017 deluxe 1000-5 has never seen 3 bars.Was on a long 3 - 8 mph climb on-some rough azz 2 track climb out of verde river back to camp. We were all sweating but machine stayed at 2 bars.

Mine was originally purchased at ride now and freeze point of antifreeze was barely at 30 degrees. I flushed it myself and saw some aluminum shavings come out of system. Refilled with Prestige Honda blue And drove on ramps, got up to temp and topped off.

I took mine in for clutch update to star island in Prescott. They did ok, was 3/4 qt low on oil.
I didn’t know about fan glitch? Guessing mine hasn’t been done since I didn’t ask about it.

Jamesa

Jamesa

Aug 10, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Last summer I purchased a used 2016 1000-5 and had the same issues. Boiling over constantly and fan not working. After looking at it the fan was junk and I replaced that. Then took it out on a long ride a few weeks later and hit a couple times 3 bars, granted I was up like 10k elevation. I then burped the system used a professional air evacuation system for cooling systems and thought that would work. Took my machine on another ride and nope it still boils over. Last resort was try another radiator cap and wouldn’t you know it that was a fix. Have had no boiling in over 8 months and have ridden it pretty hard.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!