Ownership

1. 1000-5
History: 2019 P5 LE
Never! Mudded. Never in water deeper than 6" while crossing creek
Radiator is clean and debris free
Fan Always seems to come on
Boiled over last September Riding slowly while scoping Elk
Dealer drained coolant and pumped in all new. Burped system
1200 miles on machine. riding a few days ago going slowly 4-6 mph for an extended period of time approx. 40 min. up rocky trail.
Running Bilge fan all during this climb to reduce heat in engine compartment
Hit 3 bars on the temp gauge WTF! No boil over. Maybe because as soon as I saw 3 bars I shut it down
Riding at this speed is 20% +/- of the time

Question: is this normal under these riding conditions?

My confidence is pretty low in this machines reliability right now. I don't want a machine that requires me to ride above 15 mph so it stays cool enough to not boil over or over heat

Any suggestions that have a proven history to fix this problem would be appreciated

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
1200 miles on machine. riding a few days ago going slowly 4-6 mph for an extended period of time approx. 40 min. up rocky trail.
Hit 3 bars on the temp gauge WTF! No boil over. Maybe because as soon as I saw 3 bars I shut it down

My confidence is pretty low in this machines reliability right now. I don't want a machine that requires me to ride above 15 mph so it stays cool enough to not boil over or over heat

Any suggestions that have a proven history to fix this problem would be appreciated
Did you have the fan flash update done?

Redmoon

Redmoon

Feb 21, 2019
Prescott Az.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dealer here says it was done according to their computer. They will get another chance on Monday.
This will get figured out or it will get sold. Either way I won’t ride a machine that I can’t trust.
On the other hand if you guys tell me that the Pioneer is a machine that cannot be lugged around then I will give some thought to modifying my riding style.

thanks

Isaiah

Isaiah

Dec 30, 2019
Altamont TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I have a 2018. I ride in a lot of technical terrain going about 4-5 mph and no problems for 2.5 years. And I'm running 30s if that even matters

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Dealer here says it was done according to their computer. They will get another chance on Monday.
This will get figured out or it will get sold. Either way I won’t ride a machine that I can’t trust.
On the other hand if you guys tell me that the Pioneer is a machine that cannot be lugged around then I will give some thought to modifying my riding style.

thanks
I lug around at least 20% of the time. I've got 4600 miles on my machine in 2 years. I boiled over 1 time because The fan wasn't kicking on due to the fan glitch. I still haven't had the reflash but I watch the temp gauge like a hawk. If it hits 3 bars I know something is wrong. I boiled over another time due to radiator being full of mud and I was drinking and not paying attention to the temp gauge until I seen the red light. Totally my fault. 1 other time mine was running 3 bars on a long slow hill climb and the 2 pioneers behind me were just a 2 bars. I knew something was wrong. Even though my radiator looked clean, we stopped at a creek and washed it out. It looked like chocolate milk coming out of the back side. Again that was my fault due to me not washing my machine from the Saturday before. Thats my experience in Tennessee with it so far.

Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Mine has only overheated once while crawling at Windrock. Had the re flash done the next week and no trouble since. I do try to keep the radiator washed out due to all the dust riding at the offroad parks here.

R

rickoshea

mine boiled over this last winter while i was running really hard,max rpm's with the tracks on,in deep snow.one and only time it's ever boiled,and i ran it hard almost every day.go figure 🤷‍♂️

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I overheated several times. In early March I winched it waaaaay up in a tree and burped it real well, later had the fan update done at dealer. I have not had any problem since then, and hoping I don't. Leaving next week for a 3 day ride at Tackett Creek, TN., that will be the test to confirm if fixed.

Last edited:
B

BBLASER

Nov 11, 2018
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What dealer are you taking your machine to here in Az. I have heard that Apache Honda is the best.

Reactions: Biteme and Isaiah
advertisement
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
My LE boiled a couple times in Colorado last year. We had a couple 2 or 3 machines of all different models and years. I drove up on a VERY STEEP incline and added water. No more problems after that.
One of our group was having trouble with the radiator fan, his never got over 3 bars. So I suspect it may be an air bubble in the system.
Also I would suggest the manual fan override that's available through the forum store. Leave the fan running while on those slow runs.

Redmoon

Redmoon

Feb 21, 2019
Prescott Az.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My LE boiled a couple times in Colorado last year. We had a couple 2 or 3 machines of all different models and years. I drove up on a VERY STEEP incline and added water. No more problems after that.
One of our group was having trouble with the radiator fan, his never got over 3 bars. So I suspect it may be an air bubble in the system.
Also I would suggest the manual fan override that's available through the forum store. Leave the fan running while on those slow runs.

Thanks Tramguage1

Redmoon

Redmoon

Feb 21, 2019
Prescott Az.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wasn't there some members here who developed a larger radiator for the Pioneer? Did that solve the over heating problem?

Reactions: Biteme
aauman88

aauman88

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes this fixes all temp related issues

A9EC1F04 89DD 4586 B26A 06F8CB4E28B0 12F3D560 6841 4B5B 8BCD AC59835AE0E9 E70502B2 BCEF 4F9B 941F D526B734F73F 63EAAA34 9580 4F8D 8959 B337710C3CE9 827F0D2D A815 422E 8FB6 90E99B28B28A

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!