P1000 3500 vs 4500lb winch

JMynes

JMynes

Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2021
Augusta, Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
#1 rule for using a snatch block (pulley)--- if the snatch block (pulley) is not moving you gain no mechanical advantage only a change of direction.
Sorry, but I disagree.
Snatch block attached to a tree. Run winch cable through snatch block and back to buggy. Your pull force is doubled, snatch block is not moving.

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
Sorry, but I disagree.
Snatch block attached to a tree. Run winch cable through snatch block and back to buggy. Your pull force is doubled, snatch block is not moving.
out of curiosity I was reading an article on winching on the web by fire rescue ? and it said the same as bdrescue. now I'm going to have to check it out more.

• Wow
Reactions: CID
sheamus

sheamus

Supporting Member
Oct 8, 2021
Bridgewater, NS
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. 1000-5
I can lend you my 1st year static physics book if you want. I have no idea why I have kept it for 20 years.

But yeah the snatch block definitely doubles your pulling power. The power the winch can exert on rope is an ivnverse function of the ropes distance from the center of the spool, which is why they have different ratings when rope is fully out vs in.

So the extra benefit of a snatch block is that you are spooling out more rope, thus getting closer to the winch peak pulling force.

05Willys

05Willys

Apr 21, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A snatch block works on the same principle as a block and tackle. The more your line is doubled BACK TO THE LOAD, the more pulling force you have. If you go from your winch to a snatch block on a tree and then to another tree, you only changed direction. You have to return the cable to the load. P.S. no college edjimicashun here, just a life of making work easier on myself. 😉

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!