4-Wheeler/ATV - Do You Still Ride or Use Now You Have Pioneer 1000

M

MTLuckyDan

Jun 18, 2018
US
So it's my first year owning a SxS & have kept my Rubicon for spare in case of breakdown plowing. Also, I can haul Rubicon in pickup bed rather than trailer as an option. Yesterday was the first time I've even started it in months & had to pump gas through carburetor to start. Looking for opinions from people who have both SxS & ATV - should it stay or should it go. If my Labs could talk - I'm sure the ATV would already be gone....

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Reactions: DrMike and TimG
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So it's my first year owning a SxS & have kept my Rubicon for spare in case of breakdown plowing. Also, I can haul Rubicon in pickup bed rather than trailer as an option. Yesterday was the first time I've even started it in months & had to pump gas through carburetor to start. Looking for opinions from people who have both SxS & ATV - should it stay or should it go. If my Labs could talk - I'm sure the ATV would already be gone....

Keep it. I sold one and bought a sxs regretted it, went back and bought another atv. Atv is a different type of riding.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
IMG 6290
IMG 6292
IMG 6295

I also bought a extra one for friends to ride when they come over.

D

dilligaff82

Jan 24, 2017
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I held onto mine, but like you I hardly ever use it anymore. Last time I used it was to drag the kids around the yard in their sled after some fresh snow. Other than that I don’t remember the last time I actually used it other than just firing it up and moving it around. I guess I just hold onto it because it doesn’t owe me anything and doesn’t take up too much space. Might end up trading it for a Jeep or some other kind of toy. Who knows.

Hondoman

Hondoman

Fundamentals are the crutch for the talentless.
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Held on to mine for a year after buying the 700. It sat unused. Sold it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Same here. Kept my foreman for a year after buying my 1000. Never touched it so I sold it to a coworker. Hated to see it go, but he needed a good atv.

TimG

TimG

OLD SKOOL
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 11, 2018
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R LV

I have the 2 Honda atv's and the sxs. I will usually just hop on an atv here around the house, if I get near the sxs I have to load my two labs up. I'm sure my labs would like to see my atvs go. :) They are both fun to drive !

CPope

CPope

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Pulaski TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Still have 2 420 Ranchers to run back and forth from the shop, plus my grand daughter loves to ride the four wheeler.

Reactions: sharp and TimG
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I really liked my TRX450R but I don't really miss it. I definitely enjoy trail riding with my boys more than ripping by myself. My Scrambler 500 was a really fun machine, all stock and just comfy to ride. I see them for sale once and a while and say to myself, "I could have one of those again"

advertisement
Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Sold my old 350 Rancher soon after I bought the Pioneer. I never really regretted or missed it. My wife still has her 2016 420 Rancher but I rarely ever ride it.

Reactions: TimG and sharp
Firemedic530

Firemedic530

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
West Jefferson, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I still have 2 Ranchers and plan on keeping them. I use mine to plow snow and spray weed killer. It's still fun if a group wants to ride quads. I think it follows the same principle as my dirt bike. Bikes are more fun with bikes, quads with quads and sxs with sxs. Someone has to compromise when you mix them with a group, in my experience.

BVerhulst

BVerhulst

Jul 3, 2018
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I sold my Honda Foreman to help pay for the Pioneer. I wish I had kept it, for a few reasons. One, as pointed out by others, riding an ATV is very different from driving a SxS - much more fun, in my opinion. Second, despite the narrow plow width, the ATV was actually better for plowing my driveways, which I would describe as "detail work", and not so much huge swaths or long distances. Last but not least, ATV's can go on 50" trails. There are benefits to both, they don't do the same job, and I absolutely needed the SxS for family safety, but I miss the ATV. That said, it would probably be collecting dust, costing me more money (insurance, at the very least), and maybe not get used much. Oh, and I probably couldn't have afforded the Pioneer if I didn't sell the Foreman, so would I even be having this internal debate?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
We grew up dirt bikes and tried moving to quads but just couldn’t get into it. They just didn’t follow the same paths. Still have a Polaris quad but the extreme hate for that one keeps it grounded.
Took to Sxs really quickly because of the amount of fun and family you could have in a safe rig, and learned to just make trails where no one had gone so it became fun. Family still ride our bikes a bit and although I sold my bike (regret)for a second Sxs I look forward to having another. There’s nothing like a bike but getting older I’ve had to push myself to back way off. I’ll ride more during the day on bike and save nighttime for Sxs, but will still put more mores on Sxs even if/when get another bike.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
We kept the Foreman and the Poo Poo Sportsman for a few years afterwards. Kept them for people to ride at the cabin. Only thing was that they just sat there and knowbody road them. I didn’t use them much either. So to make me feel better about selling them I took the money I got for them and bought a P5 and so far it’s gotten more use in one season than the quads did in 3 years.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use my Foreman quite a bit around house. Especially in warm months to spray weeds around fences. Pioneer is for play only. The foreman handles all the chores.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I kept two 400EX's and added the P500. The kiddo will likely be on the stock 400EX this summer so it will pay off having kept them. I still love to jump on them and ride wheelies across the field anyway. Definitely two different ways to get out and ride so I'm happy to have options.

Houston313

Houston313

Sep 20, 2018
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I still have my rancher that I use for plowing my driveway when it snows, but we haven’t had to much around here so it kind of just sits there.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!