Talon 4wd or 2wd

J

JimmyTalon

Apr 13, 2019
SE Minnesota
Ownership

1. Talon R
No matter what I'm driving, I use 2wd as long as possible. I figure it's easier on all driveline components. Also steers easier and more effectively. Now if I can tread more lightly in 4wd, like the trail is soft and fragile, I'll then use 4wd. Also, if backing uphill, 4wd is mandatory. Steep climbs are another great use for 4wd.
Last weekend two buddies and I rode. All three in polaris rzrs . I didn't use 4wd at all except for backing uphill when turning around on a blocked trail. One buddy said he tried 4wd for a while and didn't like the steering. Other buddy ran 4wd all the while . He thought he needed more traction to tame his turbo, even though he was the slowest guy. Or maybe he was slowest cause he couldn't steer as well in the tight woods trails, in 4wd.
With the talon R, it's even more essential to stay in 2wd, cause if I lost any maneuverability I'd crash it into a tree. These private trails are within two inches to both sides of the R, in many places.
P.S. I don't ride mud. We try to respect the trails and keep from wrecking them, so we don't go when it's real wet. Plenty of other stuff to do.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I can’t speak for a Talon cuz I don’t own one YET ;)lol. But in my P1K5 I do exactly what @Tramguage1 just said. It’s quite the same in most machines on the trail. Most of it is also a preference for you. You have to feel comfortable and confident when your riding. Happy trails sir.

P

Paul419

Lifetime Member
Apr 12, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X

3. Talon R LV
I 4WD is what sets the Talon apart from all other machines you can run it in I 4WD all the time and never know it is turned on unless it is needed. The only parts that will be worn by leaving it on all the time will be the brake pads all the other parts of the drive train are turning no matter if you are in 2WD or I 4WD. The only time I 4WD will affect the steering is when it is needed to make the machine turn better. It has been track tested many times by Honda and proven that lap times are faster in I 4WD due to it assisting with the way the machine corners.

C

Christepher

Oct 10, 2018
PE Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
I notice a slight drivetrain vibration (not bad just different) when in 4wd... you can tell when all systems are working.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I’m in Pioneer not Talon so little different deal but 4wd all the time in the trails. Even dirt or gravel road. I like the way it pulls around and to me it seems like it’s easier on the system if everything shares the load, definitely easier on the rear tires. Also use engine braking heavy and I don’t like that to only come only from the back.
Only in 2wd on pavement or screwing around getting it to spin. In the past I bent up more tie rods in 2wd then 4wd because the tire pushed into something rather then pulled through. Even on an easy trail it seems to break less.

P

Paul419

Lifetime Member
Apr 12, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X

3. Talon R LV
I notice a slight drivetrain vibration (not bad just different) when in 4wd... you can tell when all systems are working.
If you notice a vibration you need to get your machine looked at because the only thing that changes is the brake system when you change to I 4WD. If you have a tire starting to slip you will feel the brakes apply. Talon is not like other machines the front drive line is driven all the time, The Talon has three wheel turning all the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Razorback
Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I 4WD is what sets the Talon apart from all other machines you can run it in I 4WD all the time and never know it is turned on unless it is needed. The only parts that will be worn by leaving it on all the time will be the brake pads all the other parts of the drive train are turning no matter if you are in 2WD or I 4WD. The only time I 4WD will affect the steering is when it is needed to make the machine turn better. It has been track tested many times by Honda and proven that lap times are faster in I 4WD due to it assisting with the way the machine corners.

I agree. I typically run in 2wd unless at an obstacle. With the Talon though, I have forgotten to turn off many times and it will go unnoticed, usually until I get to another obstacle and notice I never took it out.

C

Christepher

Oct 10, 2018
PE Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
If you notice a vibration you need to get your machine looked at because the only thing that changes is the brake system when you change to I 4WD. If you have a tire starting to slip you will feel the brakes apply. Talon is not like other machines the front drive line is driven all the time, The Talon has three wheel turning all the time.
I guess Vibration may not be the right word.. more of drivetrain engaging feeling.. knowing that the transaxle is driving the front wheels as well as the rear..just a slightly different feel.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!