Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
🤔...........what are u running in your Honda, a diesel?
0ABF4084 0AB6 4ECF 816D FF39BDD519B3

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yep. I even bought a canister with quart lines on it to be more precise in my measurement (can be difficult working from a 2.5 gallon jug.)

I put in 6.1 qt back in, and I'm maybe just barely touching the bottom of the dipstick after running it, letting it rest, and not screwing in the dipstick.

I have to add another 1/2 quart to get into the fill range.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I hate that dipstick, btw. It's got a range of empty to overfull in an impossibly small range, and if you don't insert it perfectly straight, it'll bump on something almost all the way down and give you a low reading.

S

SaltwaterSlick

Jul 20, 2022
Southeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I hate that dipstick, btw. It's got a range of empty to overfull in an impossibly small range, and if you don't insert it perfectly straight, it'll bump on something almost all the way down and give you a low reading.
I agree Dave... You'd think that Honda would just design the dang dipstick to measure the oil level in its natural closed (screwed down) position... Just too many variables involved when sticking it in but Not threading it. Ever since I got mine, I've been going to take my pocket knife and put my own notches on the dipstick to measure the oil level with the cap completely closed... haven't done it yet... Got an oil change coming up... Think I'll break down and do it this time! 👍 ;)

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honda's procedure for checking the oil is a big pain. I had a 2015 700 and we went camping one day. I decided to check the oil before our daily ride. I started the machine, let it run for a few minutes then pulled it to a leveler spot. I turned it off and waited the recommend time and found that it was way low. I put some oil I had on hand in it and went for our ride that day. When we made it back home I checked it again without moving it and it was way over full. I'm pretty OCD so I even had a little procedure to let it run for 3 min and then off for exactly 3 mintues. Even this way it was hit or miss where it would read. I finally decided when I changed the oil to run a little over the recommended amount and unless I saw a leak, I would forget about it. I have done the same with my 1000. My first few oil changes it would take about 6.25 qt to read correctly. So each oil change I use 6 qts and 1/4 of my extra bottle and forget about it. In 6500 miles I haven't noticed any ill effects. A friend of mine buys the oil change kits off Amazon that comes with the filters and 8 qts of oil. He thought it all went in the engine and thankfully enough he called me to ask before he started it. I ended up drain the extra almost 2 qts of oil from it and told him the extra was for the subtransmission. So for us the 6.25 is the magic number.

J

john790

Jan 13, 2020
Clinton ohio 44216
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Heres my 2 cents worth.Half a qt in 6 qt system how low is it really.This all started with the rincon hard to ck.First oil change 6.25 qts start ck for leaks none found let it sit overnite pull dipstick and mark level with cut off wheel.Then ck in te morning before you start.I would never ck my oil on the trail unless i had a major oil leak.If you use 6 qts on a wekend you need a motor anyhow.

advertisement
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I agree Dave... You'd think that Honda would just design the dang dipstick to measure the oil level in its natural closed (screwed down) position... Just too many variables involved when sticking it in but Not threading it. Ever since I got mine, I've been going to take my pocket knife and put my own notches on the dipstick to measure the oil level with the cap completely closed... haven't done it yet... Got an oil change coming up... Think I'll break down and do it this time! 👍 ;)
This^

I did this to my Pioneer on the 2nd or 3rd oil change. Get it where it needs to be doing the stupid balancing act and 2 minute warm-up/cool down procedure. Once you've got it right, let it cool down and then check it with it screwed all the way in and scribe your mark on the dip-stick. I still need to do it on the Talon....

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Honda's procedure for checking the oil is a big pain. I had a 2015 700 and we went camping one day. I decided to check the oil before our daily ride. I started the machine, let it run for a few minutes then pulled it to a leveler spot. I turned it off and waited the recommend time and found that it was way low. I put some oil I had on hand in it and went for our ride that day. When we made it back home I checked it again without moving it and it was way over full. I'm pretty OCD so I even had a little procedure to let it run for 3 min and then off for exactly 3 mintues. Even this way it was hit or miss where it would read. I finally decided when I changed the oil to run a little over the recommended amount and unless I saw a leak, I would forget about it. I have done the same with my 1000. My first few oil changes it would take about 6.25 qt to read correctly. So each oil change I use 6 qts and 1/4 of my extra bottle and forget about it. In 6500 miles I haven't noticed any ill effects. A friend of mine buys the oil change kits off Amazon that comes with the filters and 8 qts of oil. He thought it all went in the engine and thankfully enough he called me to ask before he started it. I ended up drain the extra almost 2 qts of oil from it and told him the extra was for the subtransmission. So for us the 6.25 is the magic number.
I went through that crap on some 4 wheelers I had. I've added and drained some oil until I said f*** it. It's just nuts for honda to think that procedure is gonna be anywhere near accurate.

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yep. I even bought a canister with quart lines on it to be more precise in my measurement (can be difficult working from a 2.5 gallon jug.)

I put in 6.1 qt back in, and I'm maybe just barely touching the bottom of the dipstick after running it, letting it rest, and not screwing in the dipstick.

I have to add another 1/2 quart to get into the fill range.
I knew I couldn't be the only one with this problem.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
The only thing dumber than Hondas oil check procedure, and lack of spin on filters, is the oil check procedure on my bike (sold it years ago). On a Harley V-Rod, you have to check the oil when it is HOT. Seriously, how does that make sense?

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!