Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I didn't take it that way at all, and I was actually going to tag you when the topic was posted because I knew you'd have good input on this.

But...you have to admit, you guys push a machine hard. Think about all those shiny RZR'S and such you've gone out with that wouldn't follow you? I guess I'm saying that the way most people use a SxS...that is, not even tapping into the true capabilities, the 700 is just fine.
But then again, outside of price and the fact that it tends to have less issues, it's hard to justify choosing the 700 over the 1000. I just don't want to tell the OP to pass on the machine he seems to want when it might be all he ever needs.
I’ll never say the 700 isn’t solid! Brought that up many times, cheaper to run and a little easier to maintain if they are driven hard. Overall longevity I do think would go to the 1000 though because it’s just not working hard at the same tasks. If you rode them the same I think 1000 does good but it begs to be seriously beaten lol. The 700 NEVER failed us but we were a little easier on it too, didn’t attempt the same stuff. If we still had it I’d assume it would still be alive. Wish we had been able to keep it at the time.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You guys are making me have 2nd thoughts about picking up another 700.
Funny thing is...there are 2 times when this happens: Reading threads like this...and cruising those smooth dirt roads.
Reality is...out on actual trails, I am quite content with the 700. It takes someone telling how bad it is to make me wonder if it was a mistake.
I know what the 700 does well, and what it doesn't do so well. I could have bought the 1000, but I didn't want to risk the issues that many have had, not it mention the price. And EVERYTHING for the 1000 seems to cost more. And it's a way bigger machine, despite what they numbers say.

But the weird thing is, even though I bought another 700, for the type of trails the OP is doing, I'd say get the 1000, even though I wouldn't make that choice for me. How weird is that?
DG, I can tell you without a doubt that if I only used it for hunting and riding here in Missouri I’d still have my 700-4. It was a great machine.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That is fair. I still think the 700-4 deluxe is what I'll get due to the price, unless there is some very compelling reasons not to. Who knows, maybe I'll be one of those that upgrades a few years down the road.
I upgraded to a 1000 within 11 months of buying my 700-4. I wanted more power in the rocky trails. I still like the 700 and don’t envy you having to choose.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I’ll never say the 700 isn’t solid! Brought that up many times, cheaper to run and a little easier to maintain if they are driven hard. Overall longevity I do think would go to the 1000 though because it’s just not working hard at the same tasks. If you rode them the same I think 1000 does good but it begs to be seriously beaten lol. The 700 NEVER failed us but we were a little easier on it too, didn’t attempt the same stuff. If we still had it I’d assume it would still be alive. Wish we had been able to keep it at the time.
Yeah...the gearing and the plain bearing engine can probably be expected to rack up pretty serious miles.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Can you link this (in)famous video? Sounds like it will help me with my incline concern. I am going to dig thru Youtube and the sort to see if I can find more stuff to help my search, too.

My plan is to keep saving my pennies till Spring and make a purchase then, unless some killer deal pops up before.

Side note, if I can find a used 1000-5 that is competitively priced to a new 700-4 D, is there any years or models to avoid or be cautious about?

Thanks again everyone. This is really helpful.
@Raghorn I'll go find that video later (gotta get to work). I changed the description years ago to be a little less critical of the 700 after it took me nearly 9000 miles without issue. Wish I could go in and change the video a bit too. Youtube "Honda pioneer failure" and if you find it. Note that video does a terrible job of conveying the steepness of what I'm climbing.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
@DG Rider just to clarify......wasn't your video/complaint with a 2014 700 that ended up having most of the altitude issues addressed by 2015? It's been awhile.

Reactions: Isaiah and wrhii
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
@DG Rider just to clarify......wasn't your video/complaint with a 2014 700 that ended up having most of the altitude issues addressed by 2015? It's been awhile.
Yes, mine was a 2014. I think @CumminsPusher also had a 2014. Here's the thing though...people keep saying the O2 sensor models cure the altitude problems. I've seen zero evidence of this. In fact, most of the complaints in recent times (obviously) have come from newer models. Whether or not it helped, I don't know, but obviously didn't take care of the issue completely. I will note that the cam specs change slightly in 2015 as well, but I think the O2 sensor and this were both aimed at emissions more than anything.

The thing I expected to get asked more is how does my new 2020 model run compared to the old 14? If I'm being honest, it does seem a bit more snappy, and what I've done with it thus far, it seems to have done with relative ease. But...over two years passed between my 700 ownership, and I'm riding around four or five thousand feet lower than I was with the other one, not to mention I'm in a two-seater which is a couple o hundred pounds lighter...so given all that, it should seem snappier.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Yes, mine was a 2014. I think @CumminsPusher also had a 2014. Here's the thing though...people keep saying the O2 sensor models cure the altitude problems. I've seen zero evidence of this. In fact, most of the complaints in recent times (obviously) have come from newer models. Whether or not it helped, I don't know, but obviously didn't take care of the issue completely. I will note that the cam specs change slightly in 2015 as well, but I think the O2 sensor and this were both aimed at emissions more than anything.

The thing I expected to get asked more is how does my new 2020 model run compared to the old 14? If I'm being honest, it does seem a bit more snappy, and what I've done with it thus far, it seems to have done relative ease. But...over two years past between my 700 ownership, and I'm riding around four or five thousand feet lower than I was with the other one, not to mention I'm in a two-seater which is a couple hundred pounds lighter...so given all that, it should seem snappier.
Mine was a late year 14 but considered 15

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've spent time on all pioneers my brother had a 700 when I bought my 1000-5 . It took all but 2 rides for him to trade it in on a 1000-5. there's not a hill around that I second guess if I got enough power. If u got the balls to start rowing gears up a hill, the 1000 will climb it . The 700 never stops but your in first gear Pawling your way up. I'm not talking sh** on the 700 its just the way it is. But 700 is way cheaper to operate per oil changes etc etc.

Reactions: Isaiah and TripleB
Raghorn

Raghorn

Aug 26, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I've spent time on all pioneers my brother had a 700 when I bought my 1000-5 . It took all but 2 rides for him to trade it in on a 1000-5. there's not a hill around that I second guess if I got enough power. If u got the balls to start rowing gears up a hill, the 1000 will climb it . The 700 never stops but your in first gear Pawling your way up. I'm not talking sh** on the 700 its just the way it is. But 700 is way cheaper to operate per oil changes etc etc.
That is good to know.

It is often hard to judge because everyone's riding styles, locations, uses, and preferences are so different. With my family riding with me, I tend to drive like grandma is sitting in the seat next to me wearing her Sunday best with gallon of fruit punch on her lap. By myself it is a bit more opened up and trilling, but that said, there are a ton of videos online of people going hard on some nasty trails that I probably would never do.

I'm guessing I'd use it way more mild than most on the forum, as you guys are all hardcore sending it! Haha. I'll see if I can find pictures of the trails and terrain that I normally ride to help.

Reactions: Isaiah and Farmer
Raghorn

Raghorn

Aug 26, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Trying to find some stuff on my channels with the 700 doing good things...

Sickening video shakes..

All of these were at least 4500' or more.
Awesome! Exactly what I was looking for. That first video seems to be similar to the trails I ride.

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here's simple specs, p500 26 hp at 1,000 pds with a 5 speed , the 700-4 36hp at 1,409 pds with a 3 speed, the p 1000-5 1,709 pds at 72hp with six speed. If u can swing it the 1000 is a better buy.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!