DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I had no problems going everywhere the others went but the 700 is definitely at its limits at elevation. Last year in Taylor Park on a steep section of side trail I needed a couple of try's to get up, can't stop and start again on steep portions at altitude.
My machine only had me, five gallons of gas and a toolbox in it but it does have taller tires and a more restrictive exhaust (Silent Rider)
That Silent rider...that'd have to go for high els. I messed around with a exhaust tip that @Farmer made for me on my original, and there was a small but noticeable difference in power. I think the 700 is very sensitive to exhaust flow.

Raghorn

Raghorn

Aug 26, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I had no problems going everywhere the others went but the 700 is definitely at its limits at elevation. Last year in Taylor Park on a steep section of side trail I needed a couple of try's to get up, can't stop and start again on steep portions at altitude.
My machine only had me, five gallons of gas and a toolbox in it but it does have taller tires and a more restrictive exhaust (Silent Rider)
Thanks for the input.

I live at about 4500' but most of my riding would be in the 6000-8500' range with the occasional trail upwards of 10000'.

It does have me concerned a bit if I use it hunting and we need to have two grown men plus a bull elk in the back how it will handle.

Reactions: Isaiah and Mudwing
Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for the input.

I live at about 4500' but most of my riding would be in the 6000-8500' range with the occasional trail upwards of 10000'.

It does have me concerned a bit if I use it hunting and we need to have two grown men plus a bull elk in the back how it will handle.
I haven't used my pk1 in any extreme elevations but I've got an uncle with the 700-4 and even with small ohio hills I felt like I was flogging it to get up creek banks and such. As for the power of the pk1 I've pulled several other machines out of the woods in wv and dragged a loaded 700-4 a bit at tackett. So far its pulled anything I've hooked to or can fit in the bed. including our 18.5ft bayliner that was about 3800lbs on the trailer. I've had 4 small block chevy engines in the bed and also had no complaints on power. Low range is worth the extra investment for sure.

mygreenbronco

mygreenbronco

Feb 3, 2021
Centralia, WA
Ownership

1. 700-2
OK I am going to have to get my GoPro out and film some trips. I have a 2021 700M2D, with 2 guys @ 180 each and 100 lbs of gear in the back my 700 rips in Colorado. I ride at elevations 7,500 to 10,000. Last weekend at Rampart Range with 2 feet of snow it climbed hills all day. NO it was not as fast as the RZR 1000 XP that was with us but the RZR cost twice as much and has 3 X the hp. The 700 ran up every hill we pointed it at and ran the snow covered trails at 30 mph no problem.

Heading out again this week if it gets above 0 degrees here. Will post some vids of hill climbs in the snow.

The 700 is a great SXS for 2 guys with stock tires, but when people are putting 28 tires and 4 guys at 200+lbs and asking a 36hp machine to do what the 100hp guys do, you probalally should have just spent the money and bought a 100hp ride.

Raghorn

Raghorn

Aug 26, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
OK I am going to have to get my GoPro out and film some trips. I have a 2021 700M2D, with 2 guys @ 180 each and 100 lbs of gear in the back my 700 rips in Colorado. I ride at elevations 7,500 to 10,000. Last weekend at Rampart Range with 2 feet of snow it climbed hills all day. NO it was not as fast as the RZR 1000 XP that was with us but the RZR cost twice as much and has 3 X the hp. The 700 ran up every hill we pointed it at and ran the snow covered trails at 30 mph no problem.

Heading out again this week if it gets above 0 degrees here. Will post some vids of hill climbs in the snow.

The 700 is a great SXS for 2 guys with stock tires, but when people are putting 28 tires and 4 guys at 200+lbs and asking a 36hp machine to do what the 100hp guys do, you probalally should have just spent the money and bought a 100hp ride.
Awesome, thank you! That would be great. Does it feel like it's running away from you on the downhill without a low gear?

As an update, I found a sweet 2017 P500 at a good price and couldn't pass up. Used it this past hunting season and it is a little goat! Very excited to have it. However, it is likely the temporary solution as we would like all of us to ride together. Still on the fence between the 700-4 deluxe and the 1000-5 base/deluxe. I am leaning towards the 1000-5, based on feedback, but again, I'm not a very crazy driver (meaning I've never used the winch on my machine), so perhaps the 700-4 would be just fine.

Part of the equation for me is transporting the machine while pulling the camper, but that is another subject... Going to have to do 2 trips, take 2 trucks, or get a toy hauler.

HawkDriver

HawkDriver

Mar 31, 2017
Sierra Vista, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had a 2017 700-4, put over 1900 miles on it. Was mainly used for hunting, we dont do a bunch of just riding. The 700 was a reliable machine, never had a problem with it mechanically. When I bought it, I did not think I needed the 1000. Four years of rough country hunting taught me otherwise, I traded up to a 1000-5 in Dec. The 700 really needs more gears in the tranny. Above 25 mph, it does tend to get loud due to the higher RPM's. Being able to put 3 in and still have the bed is another reason for the 1000. We live at 4600' and elk hunt above 7000', deer hunting is at our elevation or higher. In my opinion, the 700 would be an awesome machine at a lower elevation and not as rough and rocky terrain.

Reactions: Mudwing and TripleB
Raghorn

Raghorn

Aug 26, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I had a 2017 700-4, put over 1900 miles on it. Was mainly used for hunting, we dont do a bunch of just riding. The 700 was a reliable machine, never had a problem with it mechanically. When I bought it, I did not think I needed the 1000. Four years of rough country hunting taught me otherwise, I traded up to a 1000-5 in Dec. The 700 really needs more gears in the tranny. Above 25 mph, it does tend to get loud due to the higher RPM's. Being able to put 3 in and still have the bed is another reason for the 1000. We live at 4600' and elk hunt above 7000', deer hunting is at our elevation or higher. In my opinion, the 700 would be an awesome machine at a lower elevation and not as rough and rocky terrain.
Great feedback, thank you! We definitely do a mix of trail riding/exploring and hunting. I think I want the 700-4 to fit what I am looking for so bad, but am realizing that I should save up and get a 1000-5.

The long stretches of dirt roads would be annoying at the lower 700-4 speed/sound. And only having the three gears without a low would be a bit sketchy on those few steep trails coming down, I think.

Like you, I think I could get by on the 700-4 for my style, but the 1000-5 would be more enjoyable.

Thanks for the input.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Great feedback, thank you! We definitely do a mix of trail riding/exploring and hunting. I think I want the 700-4 to fit what I am looking for so bad, but am realizing that I should save up and get a 1000-5.

The long stretches of dirt roads would be annoying at the lower 700-4 speed/sound. And only having the three gears without a low would be a bit sketchy on those few steep trails coming down, I think.

Like you, I think I could get by on the 700-4 for my style, but the 1000-5 would be more enjoyable.

Thanks for the input.
Last summer was my first year in a SxS - my Talon is quite similar to the P1000 in its driveline. As a recently retired off road motorcycle rider, I'm tuned in to surface sensitivity (or I fall down :oops: ), including downhill braking. The Talon's deceleration braking is magic, I rarely use my brakes and expect the brake pads to last 'forever'.

The 700's 3 speed and no low range would be a deal breaker for me and watching DG Rider's videos showed the 700 to be maxed out in what I consider 'easy' off roading. I'd do what it takes to get the P1000, it will open doors for you IMO.

Raghorn

Raghorn

Aug 26, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Last summer was my first year in a SxS - my Talon is quite similar to the P1000 in its driveline. As a recently retired off road motorcycle rider, I'm tuned in to surface sensitivity (or I fall down :oops: ), including downhill braking. The Talon's deceleration braking is magic, I rarely use my brakes and expect the brake pads to last 'forever'.

The 700's 3 speed and no low range would be a deal breaker for me and watching DG Rider's videos showed the 700 to be maxed out in what I consider 'easy' off roading. I'd do what it takes to get the P1000, it will open doors for you IMO.
Thanks CID. Yeah, I agree. I think if you're going to spend that kind of money, might as well be on something that you're not really compromising on. Unless I get a smoking deal on a 700-4, I'll save my pennies for a 1000-5. And I have the fun little P500 to keep me company while we save up for it.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
...and watching DG Rider's videos showed the 700 to be maxed out in what I consider 'easy' off roading.
To be fair to the 700, video does a horrible job of conveying the steepness (esp through a GoPro with fisheye effect).

Reactions: Raghorn and CID
mygreenbronco

mygreenbronco

Feb 3, 2021
Centralia, WA
Ownership

1. 700-2

Got out yesterday to Rampart in CO. This is at about 9,000 feet.
Fast forward to the end for the exit. The slope of trail it is about 12% uphill with the exit being twice as steep about 20%.

Riding with 2 guys at 180lbs and 100lbs of gear, stock with stock tires. I did not have it at full throttle till the very end.

I don't understand the power at elevations complaints of the 700.

Last edited:
Raghorn

Raghorn

Aug 26, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

Got out yesterday to Rampart in CO. This is at about 9,000 feet.
Fast forward to the end for the exit. The slope of trail it is about 12% uphill with the exit being twice as steep about 20%.

Riding with 2 guys at 180lbs and 100lbs of gear, stock with stock tires. I did not have it at full throttle till the very end.

I don't understand the power at elevations complaints of the 700.
Nice ride! Looks like a good trip and very similar to my riding style and country.

This isn't making my decision any easier... Haha! Gahhh....

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!