P700 700-4 Deluxe inclines/mountains or 1000-5 base

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've been diehard honda my whole life except for a teryx I bought in 2011. had to sell due to, i guess life lol. but this time I refused to buy anything but honda. the 700-4 is what I went after but my wife shut that sh** down. She knew I'd be back up there trying to trade it off in 6 months glad I spent the extra$ because I would if been back trying to trading it off. Turf mode and a low range are worth extra$ period.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That is good to know.

It is often hard to judge because everyone's riding styles, locations, uses, and preferences are so different. With my family riding with me, I tend to drive like grandma is sitting in the seat next to me wearing her Sunday best with gallon of fruit punch on her lap. By myself it is a bit more opened up and trilling, but that said, there are a ton of videos online of people going hard on some nasty trails that I probably would never do.

I'm guessing I'd use it way more mild than most on the forum, as you guys are all hardcore sending it! Haha. I'll see if I can find pictures of the trails and terrain that I normally ride to help.
I didn't get a chance to read through all the comments but just wanted to give you my take. I live in southern Idaho too and compare my style of driving to be similar as you describe. I had a 2015 700-4 and really enjoyed the machine. I really only had 2 problems with it. I never had a problem with it making it up anything I wanted, heck I even hauled a whole cow elk in the back with 3 very cramped large adults in the front up a super steep snow cover hill, but I was always nervous trying to make it back down a hill/mountain. The machine would hold 1st gear and try to keep a reasonable speed but many times it was over 10-12 which was a little more then I would like to go. I was constantly on the brakes and would usually apply the hand brake to help with the speed. I have a steep hill just outside of town that I always wanted to go look from and I'm sure it would have made it up fine, I just dreaded to come back down. My second complaint was the locked rear differential. We live in a small town and use are machine alot in town. The pavement just tore up the tires and made me fill like you were going to break something while turning. In 2018 we upgraded to the 1000-5 and have been so much happier. The extra gearing and high/low subtrans has been exactly what I wanted. I don't have any trouble going up or DOWN the hill I was talking about and the turf mode is great in our little town. A friend of mine picked one up 6 months before I did and he's pushing 4500 miles. He's finally starting to look for new tires and he drives it everyday around town. The extra gearing allows for a much quieter ride. The 700 shifts into 3rd about 18mph so anything over that has the engine reved pretty high. It will do 45 but it is screaming. I usually take my 1000 down the highway at 40 at it is barely hitting 4000 rpm. It is just a much more enjoyable ride. If I wanted to do this with the 700 I would limit it to 30 because I didn't like the high engine rpm. If you are questioning the difference, I would definetly take a serious look at the 1000. Where in SE Idaho are you? I live in Richfield which North of Twin Falls. Hope you can find what you want.

Raghorn

Raghorn

Aug 26, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I didn't get a chance to read through all the comments but just wanted to give you my take. I live in southern Idaho too and compare my style of driving to be similar as you describe. I had a 2015 700-4 and really enjoyed the machine. I really only had 2 problems with it. I never had a problem with it making it up anything I wanted, heck I even hauled a whole cow elk in the back with 3 very cramped large adults in the front up a super steep snow cover hill, but I was always nervous trying to make it back down a hill/mountain. The machine would hold 1st gear and try to keep a reasonable speed but many times it was over 10-12 which was a little more then I would like to go. I was constantly on the brakes and would usually apply the hand brake to help with the speed. I have a steep hill just outside of town that I always wanted to go look from and I'm sure it would have made it up fine, I just dreaded to come back down. My second complaint was the locked rear differential. We live in a small town and use are machine alot in town. The pavement just tore up the tires and made me fill like you were going to break something while turning. In 2018 we upgraded to the 1000-5 and have been so much happier. The extra gearing and high/low subtrans has been exactly what I wanted. I don't have any trouble going up or DOWN the hill I was talking about and the turf mode is great in our little town. A friend of mine picked one up 6 months before I did and he's pushing 4500 miles. He's finally starting to look for new tires and he drives it everyday around town. The extra gearing allows for a much quieter ride. The 700 shifts into 3rd about 18mph so anything over that has the engine reved pretty high. It will do 45 but it is screaming. I usually take my 1000 down the highway at 40 at it is barely hitting 4000 rpm. It is just a much more enjoyable ride. If I wanted to do this with the 700 I would limit it to 30 because I didn't like the high engine rpm. If you are questioning the difference, I would definetly take a serious look at the 1000. Where in SE Idaho are you? I live in Richfield which North of Twin Falls. Hope you can find what you want.

Thanks Bigshoe and Tjoreo. Great comments.

I am from Blackfoot, just in-between Idaho Falls and Pocatello. You bring up a great point about coming back down in a controlled manner. Without that low range, it would probably feel like it wants to run away from you. Now that is some serious food for thought as that might be a deal breaker, especially toting the family around.

Also, like you guys mentioned, comfortable cruising at 30 compared to 45+ can make a pretty big difference if driving on long stretches of dirt road to get to the next canyon or trail.

Maybe I can luck out and find a used 1000-5 that is competitively priced to a new 700-4. That might be the best way for me to go.

Reactions: tjoreo and bigshoe
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just trying to give you my experince between the 2. We really loved the 700 and it was a game changer being able to take my whole family instead of using 2 atvs to get around. I loved it plowing snow and it was just more capable then my atvs. The advantage of the 700 is it is a little narrower but we usually travel down roads that plenty wide for either the 700 or 1000. Alot of the roads around here are turning into 50" tracks with width restriction pass through gates, that the 700 wouldn't be able to get through anyways. I just believe the 1000 is a much better machine all around and haven't looked back. I sold my 700 to a cousin and we went up to Featherville this weekend with them and road to the Trinity Lakes. Comparing the machines sitting side by side, I am still glad for the upgrade. One other advantage I really like in the 1000 is the reloaction of the air inlet. I had heard horror stories of farmers dusting the motor on the 700 with it's mid mount air intake. I regularly changed my air filter on the 700 in the 200-250 mile range and it really needed it. I had 3 filters. 1 in the bike, 1 in the process of cleaning and 1 ready to go. I checked my air filter on my 1000 the other day and it looks brand new, even with 2500 miles. I believe someone talked about the cost of service and it can be more on the 1000, but they only recommend changing the oil on it every 1200 miles vs 600 on the 700. I still do mine every 600 miles, because I figured oil is cheap insurance, but it really comes out clean, so I might rethink my service interval. Hope you can find something and enjoy the Idaho fall season. Enjoy and keep us posted.

Last edited:
Raghorn

Raghorn

Aug 26, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Just trying to give you my experince between the 2. We really loved the 700 and it was a game changer being able to take my whole family instead of using 2 atvs to get around. I loved it plowing snow and it was just more capable then my atvs. The advantage of the 700 is it is a little narrower but we usually travel down roads that plenty wide for either the 700 or 1000. Alot of the roads around here are turning into 50" tracks with width restriction pass through gates, that the 700 wouldn't be able to get through anyways. I just believe the 1000 is a much better machine all around and haven't looked back. I sold my 700 to a cousin and we went up to Featherville this weekend with them and road to the Trinity Lakes. Comparing the machines sitting side by side, I am still glad for the upgrade. One other advantage I really like in the 1000 is the reloaction of the air inlet. I had heard horror stories of farmers dusting the motor on the 700 with it's mid mount air intake. I regularly changed my air filter on the 700 in the 200-250 mile range. I had 3 filters. 1 in the bike, 1 in the process of cleaning and 1 ready to go. I checked my air filter on my 1000 the other day and it looks brand new, even with 2500 miles. I believe someone talked about the cost of service and it can be more on the 1000, but they only recommend changing the oil on it every 1200 miles vs 600 on the 700. I still do mine every 600 miles, because I figured oil is cheap insurance, but it really comes out clean, so I might rethink my service interval. Hope you can find something and enjoy the Idaho fall season. Enjoy and keep us posted.
Thank you for the great local insight!

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
You guys touched on a big one for me.....One of the top 3 reasons I'd switch to a 1000 is turf mode.

I'd say after reading the comments here it sounds like the the 700 is a flatlander use around the farm type rig. Tough as nails but has it's shortfalls. The 1000 sounds way better suited for inclines, long stretches and altitude. Just not quite as tough as the 700. Don't bash me though 1000 owners......it's still sounds pretty dang Honda tough.

Does anyone know the difference in leg room?

@DG Rider thanks for clearing that year vs altitude thing up for me.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You guys touched on a big one for me.....One of the top 3 reasons I'd switch to a 1000 is turf mode.

I'd say after reading the comments here it sounds like the the 700 is a flatlander use around the farm type rig. Tough as nails but has it's shortfalls. The 1000 sounds way better suited for inclines, long stretches and altitude. Just not quite as tough as the 700. Don't bash me though 1000 owners......it's still sounds pretty dang Honda tough.

Does anyone know the difference in leg room?

@DG Rider thanks for clearing that year vs altitude thing up for me.
There is noticeable increase in leg room, because the seat sits taller and the extra width gives more room on the sides. It is a little cramped with 3 people up front but when it 's just 2 you have alot of room. The biggest notice is belly room behind the steering wheel. The friend that I ride with was set on a 700 until he tried to drive mine. He is a little heavier set and just had trouble sliding in and behind the steering wheel. He tried a 1000 in the show room and said that's the one for me. Mine was a 2015 and so the newer ones are actually harder to enter because of the bigger safety bar by your hip. Just my 2 cents.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
There is noticeable increase in leg room, because the seat sits taller and the extra width gives more room on the sides. It is a little cramped with 3 people up front but when it 's just 2 you have alot of room. The biggest notice is belly room behind the steering wheel. The friend that I ride with was set on a 700 until he tried to drive mine. He is a little heavier set and just had trouble sliding in and behind the steering wheel. He tried a 1000 in the show room and said that's the one for me. Mine was a 2015 and so the newer ones are actually harder to enter because of the bigger safety bar by your hip. Just my 2 cents.
I thought the new safety bar would be a pain, but I actually don't even notice it. The 700 is tight on knee room, though. I'm 6'1" and about 270, and I fit fine...but much bigger than that, and it'd be an issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raghorn and tjoreo
Doug_Jones

Doug_Jones

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2018
Sapulpa, Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I took my 700-4 to Taylor Park in Colorado and came home and traded up to the 1000-5. The 700 just couldn’t handle the steep trails. It would be ok if it had low range on the transmission and if lightly loaded.

Raghorn

Raghorn

Aug 26, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I took my 700-4 to Taylor Park in Colorado and came home and traded up to the 1000-5. The 700 just couldn’t handle the steep trails. It would be ok if it had low range on the transmission and if lightly loaded.
Thanks for the feedback. That is good to know.

Reactions: Smitty335
A

Azeagleye

Jul 4, 2018
AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
So far in the hills of AZ, Bryce canyon, and other places the 700-4 has done fine. It does have a top speed of 40 plus a couple so if you need to ride some distance while traffic is buzzing by at 60 it can be a little intimidating. 700 has surprised me with what it can do and we'll be taking it to Moab the end of Oct. We've done Moab in jeeps so this will be a good test. We are also looking at a new Talon but I'm probably going to keep the 700 up at our rv in the mountains.

Raghorn

Raghorn

Aug 26, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
So far in the hills of AZ, Bryce canyon, and other places the 700-4 has done fine. It does have a top speed of 40 plus a couple so if you need to ride some distance while traffic is buzzing by at 60 it can be a little intimidating. 700 has surprised me with what it can do and we'll be taking it to Moab the end of Oct. We've done Moab in jeeps so this will be a good test. We are also looking at a new Talon but I'm probably going to keep the 700 up at our rv in the mountains.
Thank you for the info. I bet Moab will be a blast. That is on the list of places to ride once I get a ride ... Haha.

Reactions: Mudwing
W

wataboy

Dec 22, 2016
SoGA
Ownership

1. 700-4
I just corresponded with a guy who had a 700 in his group during a CO trip. Here's the transcript:

Me - "I just finished watching your Colorado trip on YouTube. Awesome footage. Thanks for documenting the trip.
I noticed there was a honda pioneer 700 in your group. I have the same unit and was wondering if you could tell me how it performed out there. The guys on the forum don’t speak highly of it at such high elevation. I’m trying to plan a trip out next year and am deciding if I should bother taking it or just take my 4 wheeler instead."

Him - "We had a lot of problems getting the Honda around. Near the lower elevations it did alright nothing special. During the super high elevation stuff like 13,000 feet it would literally have issues making it up a small hill. What I didn't put in the video was the multiple times everyone had to get out of that Honda to cut weight and then our buddy having to give it all to make a hill that was even that steep. The biggest flaw with the Honda Pioneer 700 isn't that the engine is to small to keep up with the other units out there. Its Honda shot themselves in the foot and didn't but in a low gear setting into it.It only has a high range. We had a 750 Kawasaki Teryx 4 with us. It made it everywhere just fine but it has a low gear. So to answer your question, sure it will make it around. I wouldn't have your honda loaded down with people or weight if your planning on going high in the elevation though. PS Our friend that use to have that unit now has the new Honda tallon 4 seater and its bad ass"

Raghorn

Raghorn

Aug 26, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I just corresponded with a guy who had a 700 in his group during a CO trip. Here's the transcript:

Me - "I just finished watching your Colorado trip on YouTube. Awesome footage. Thanks for documenting the trip.
I noticed there was a honda pioneer 700 in your group. I have the same unit and was wondering if you could tell me how it performed out there. The guys on the forum don’t speak highly of it at such high elevation. I’m trying to plan a trip out next year and am deciding if I should bother taking it or just take my 4 wheeler instead."

Him - "We had a lot of problems getting the Honda around. Near the lower elevations it did alright nothing special. During the super high elevation stuff like 13,000 feet it would literally have issues making it up a small hill. What I didn't put in the video was the multiple times everyone had to get out of that Honda to cut weight and then our buddy having to give it all to make a hill that was even that steep. The biggest flaw with the Honda Pioneer 700 isn't that the engine is to small to keep up with the other units out there. Its Honda shot themselves in the foot and didn't but in a low gear setting into it.It only has a high range. We had a 750 Kawasaki Teryx 4 with us. It made it everywhere just fine but it has a low gear. So to answer your question, sure it will make it around. I wouldn't have your honda loaded down with people or weight if your planning on going high in the elevation though. PS Our friend that use to have that unit now has the new Honda tallon 4 seater and its bad ass"
Wow, thank you for sharing that. I am assuming the 700-4 will do probably 90-95% of what I need it to, but that 5-10% is what has me worried. I mean, why pay all that money for something that can't do all it needs to?

Raghorn

Raghorn

Aug 26, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Then I think the answer is obvious.
Perhaps I am in denial...

I still like how reliable the 700s are. The 1000s make me a little nervous with what seems to be a higher amount of problems.

And that big price difference. For some reason $14k doesn't sound so bad compared to $18k...

I've seen a lot of used 1000s come up for sale compared to used 700s, which makes me wonder. Perhaps more 1000s are sold and that is why.

As of right now (which could change just as quick), I think I will look for a used 1000-5 that is competitively priced to new 700-4s. Or, if a used 700-4 deluxe pops up for a good price, I might do that with the option to trade up if I find it not capable.

Either way, it'll be a big improvement from my little old '97 Honda Recon 250.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Perhaps I am in denial...

I still like how reliable the 700s are. The 1000s make me a little nervous with what seems to be a higher amount of problems.

And that big price difference. For some reason $14k doesn't sound so bad compared to $18k...

I've seen a lot of used 1000s come up for sale compared to used 700s, which makes me wonder. Perhaps more 1000s are sold and that is why.

As of right now (which could change just as quick), I think I will look for a used 1000-5 that is competitively priced to new 700-4s. Or, if a used 700-4 deluxe pops up for a good price, I might do that with the option to trade up if I find it not capable.

Either way, it'll be a big improvement from my little old '97 Honda Recon 250.
Yes...the 1000 sells much better. I saw maybe 2-3 700's over the course of the next year after I bought mine. I started seeing 1000's almost immediately.

Right now isn't a good time to buy. Short supply. You'll get better deals if you can wait.

BTW, I talk about why I decided to go back with the 700 here...

ByronM

ByronM

Lifetime Member
Aug 9, 2016
St Charles, Il
Ownership

1. 700-4
I had no problems going everywhere the others went but the 700 is definitely at its limits at elevation. Last year in Taylor Park on a steep section of side trail I needed a couple of try's to get up, can't stop and start again on steep portions at altitude.
My machine only had me, five gallons of gas and a toolbox in it but it does have taller tires and a more restrictive exhaust (Silent Rider)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!