9mm fans!!

J

JTW

Funny stuff. I've only recently become a fan of the 9 and always, and still do own 45's. With today's ammo quality I would carry either with confidence.
I don't disagree.. just Josh'n ya!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That's a funny video. There's been test after test done on the whole caliber thing and one thing shows, any round will kill you. Tests have shown nine has much more accuracy and reacquire time is drastically better also the 9 has more available rounds to do as you wish. The military gave up the large round long ago in place of quantity and accuracy. Well and the 1911 wasn't the most dependable frane. Biggest problem with 9 is you need to use stopper rds rather then target so you don't shot the guy standing behind the guy you shot lol
I do have a .40 and a .357 barrel that slide right into both wife's and mine and can use the same magazine even so it's a 1 minute swap. The .357s is the most fun with 18 rds and a fluted 5in barrel it's a bastard in the woods! I carry 9 usually very confidently but any round can kill you and one thing for certain there will always be debates on caliber

Last edited:
pmward

pmward

Jul 28, 2016
Galena, Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's a funny video. There's been test after test done on the whole caliber thing and one thing shows, any round will kill you. Tests have shown nine has much more accuracy and reacquire time is drastically better also the 9 has more available rounds to do as you wish. The military gave up the large round long ago in place of quantity and accuracy. Well and the 1911 wasn't the most dependable frane. Biggest problem with 9 is you need to use stopper rds rather then target so you don't shot the guy standing behind the guy you shot lol
I do have a .40 and a .357 barrel that slide right into both wife's and mine and can use the same magazine even so it's a 1 minute swap. The .357s is the most fun with 18 rds and a fluted 5in barrel it's a bastard in the woods! I carry 9 usually very confidently but any round can kill you and one thing for certain there will always be debates on caliber
I actually have a 1911 chambered in 9mm. Used to think any caliber was OK as long as the first number was a 4 and the second was preferably a 5. Not a 40 small and weak.

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Wrong on the 9 being more accurate... The 45 is every bit as good. The 9 is quicker usually because of the lighter recoil. Faster back on target. Make no mistake the 45 is an awesome round.. It's just the 9 has pretty much caught up to it as far as being a man stopper... None of them are really that good. lol. Head shots will always be better.. As someone says.."Be calm and shoot them in the face"

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Wrong on the 9 being more accurate... The 45 is every bit as good. The 9 is quicker usually because of the lighter recoil. Faster back on target. Make no mistake the 45 is an awesome round.. It's just the 9 has pretty much caught up to it as far as being a man stopper... None of them are really that good. lol. Head shots will always be better.. As someone says.."Be calm and shoot them in the face"
I'm not wrong on 9mm being more accurate. It has shown in competitive shooting military and police competitions to Have slight edge. Even recent FBI study has shown more accurate by both experienced and non experienced shooters. For competition the 1911 and 92 chambered in 9 are still some of the more widely modified guns for competition. 9 and 38s being more common for the top notches in open competition especially at 50yards.

Reactions: Ragnar406 and sharp
advertisement
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Ragnar406 since you are a competition shooter want to clarify...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know know better to get into this argument - I shoot steel and paper. I do believe that the better choice is the one you shoot the best (accuracy and speed) in a gun that allows you to hold the most and carry the most.

I have a friend who is a retired head of cardiac - he gives talks and attends talks at Quanitico and he speaks to the face that with modern day premium defensive ammo it is almost impossible to tell the caliber by the wound cavity alone in gunshot victims.

Click here to read all you want on defensive ammo

But I shoot steel and paper-

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
To get back to the vs. thing...everything I've seen in the last few years shows ballistics as very little difference in "knock down " power between the common rounds as 9mm is so common it's gotten better with a huge amount of choices. The idea bigger is better is a thing of the past. Less recoil,fast cycling, more accuracy and round count are far more important then size.
I prefer to carry the same round through the same gun as I enjoy during target practice and having fun. I'll admit I'm not the best long range shooter but familiarity has its advantages especially in a panic situation.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
when you guys talk about accuracy - I think that is dependent on the quality of the Cartridge and the Barrel. I think the follow up shot or time to get back on target due to preceived recoil is a function of the weight of the gun and the tuning of that gun for the load it is shooting. For my competition pistols I spend a lot of time tuning my gun to the round - the simplest way is adjusting recoil Springs.
The weight of the gun can make a big difference to there is little muzzle flip on a CZ due to the weight of the gun and lighter weight of the slide. Guns with a higher bore axis also effect the flip - a Glock shoots flatter to me then a XD or a SIG since the slide is lower to the axis of your grip.

Reactions: sharp and nbomar
J

JTW

when you guys talk about accuracy - I think that is dependent on the quality of the Cartridge and the Barrel. I think the follow up shot or time to get back on target due to preceived recoil is a function of the weight of the gun and the tuning of that gun for the load it is shooting. For my competition pistols I spend a lot of time tuning my gun to the round - the simplest way is adjusting recoil Springs.
The weight of the gun can make a big difference to there is little muzzle flip on a CZ due to the weight of the gun and lighter weight of the slide. Guns with a higher bore axis also effect the flip - a Glock shoots flatter to me then a XD or a SIG since the slide is lower to the axis of your grip.
There it is... it's the use of the term accurate that muddies the water.

One issue I have with the whole they've improved the 9mm ammunition argument is.. i we all would agree that 20 years ago. 45 was superior to the 9mm.. however if we say that 9mm ammunition has improved and now it's just as good as a 45 in terms of damage and "stopping power"... what about the 45? Did no one bother to improve 45 ammunition over the last 20 years? If the 9 got better wouldn't it also mean the 45 did as well?

Reactions: Sizzler
S

Sizzler

Mar 23, 2017
Dorchester WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I own a firearm and archery store. My Kimber will put 45 caliber holes in paper touching at 20 yards. So will my 9mm in a kanik. The accuracy of a round is mostly myth. It's the accuracy of the firearm and the shooter matched with the proper ammo. Get one bad in the mix and it affects the whole works. Plus at self defense distances which is typically less than 15 ft what does an inch vs 2 inch group matter. Most people can't wring all the accuracy out of a hipoint!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
There it is... it's the use of the term accurate that muddies the water.

One issue I have with the whole they've improved the 9mm ammunition argument is.. i we all would agree that 20 years ago. 45 was superior to the 9mm.. however if we say that 9mm ammunition has improved and now it's just as good as a 45 in terms of damage and "stopping power"... what about the 45? Did no one bother to improve 45 ammunition over the last 20 years? If the 9 got better wouldn't it also mean the 45 did as well?

Not really because 9mm is a worldwide ammo. Not positive the numbers but I'd bet there's been 100 times the amount of 9 made. It's designed for military first then civilian. They haven't used .45 for military for 30 years and that was only US.
When that many rounds are made companies will spend massive amounts of money to get something out there. Supply and demand.
Look at the aftermarket world for Honda and Polaris. You can get whatever you want for Polaris yet Honda your making it. And the numbers of new Polaris sales compared to Honda doesn't come close to the worldwide sales of 9mm over .45.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: sharp and Jshell3
advertisement