Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Ya know... if you wrap that period pad around your wrist.. you might be man enough to handle a .45!
So by that statement if I'd walk around town with a .50 you'd be wearing the pad right? Except in actuality I'd be the idiot that might get a round off before I got pummeled with half a dozen.45. I buy a gun for protection not bragging rights.

Last edited:
J

JTW

So by that statement if I'd walk around town with a .50 you'd be wearing a pad right? Except in actuality I'd be the idiot that might get a round off before I got pummeled with half a dozen.45. I buy a gun for protection not bragging rights.
No.. the lady pad is for you limp wristing gurly 9mm guys. You're gunna need a back brace and tissues if you're shooting the 50. I buy a gun because it's makes me look gangsta!!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
No.. the lady pad is for you limp wristing gurly 9mm guys. You're gunna need a back brace and tissues if you're shooting the 50. I buy a gun because it's makes me look gangsta!!
You are a gangsta. Never shot a .50 but I shot a most of a box of .454 casull and that wasn't something I'd do very offen! First few were fun lol.

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I shot a 50 DE and a SW 500 and the DE was by far worse.. the ergonomics suck!
I've seen some fun videos on those that's as close to one as I've been.

Reactions: sharp and Jshell3
Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This dead horse has been beaten such that the bones are powder… Ballistics proves there is very little difference in the two rounds, if the ammunition is of good quality. My decision is based on just how many opportunities do I have to take care of business before reloading. My EDC provides 21… Case closed for me.

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I like both rounds, however in competition and self defense I choose the 9mm. This is due to round capacity, faster follow up shots, and practice (cheaper to practice with 9mm). I also believe todays ammo is sufficient to do the job if i do my part

here is a good article from some very well respected people as well.

http://www.tactical-life.com/gear/45.../#bsum-buffoni

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm not wrong on 9mm being more accurate. It has shown in competitive shooting military and police competitions to Have slight edge. Even recent FBI study has shown more accurate by both experienced and non experienced shooters. For competition the 1911 and 92 chambered in 9 are still some of the more widely modified guns for competition. 9 and 38s being more common for the top notches in open competition especially at 50yards.
You are incorrect .. . The 9's and 38-supers (not 38's) are modified for their magazine capacity and lighter recoil NOT because they are more accurate... Jeesh. I'm not an expert on anything but I've reloaded, shot in competition and been a student of ballistics for almost 60yrs. Trust me on this.

Oh... and on the FBI.... those limp wristed wingnuts couldn't hit a bull in the ass with a barnshovel. Probably before your time but they originally carried 38's and learned the hard way in the Miami shootout. They decided to go to the 10mm in the S&W 4506 but they couldn't handle the size of the gun or the recoil. Scores went down, (not because of the accuracy). So S&W redesigned the 10mm by shortening it and calling it the 40 S&W, (you've probably heard of it). So, the FBI is not a good group to quote when it comes to firearms or calibers.

Last edited:
advertisement
Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
You are incorrect .. . The 9's and 38-supers (not 38's) are modified for their magazine capacity and lighter recoil NOT because they are more accurate... Jeesh. I'm not an expert on anything but I've reloaded, shot in competition and been a student of ballistics for almost 60yrs. Trust me on this.

Oh... and on the FBI.... those limp wristed wingnuts couldn't hit a bull in the ass with a barnshovel. Probably before your time but they originally carried 38's and learned the hard way in the Miami shootout. They decided to go to the 10mm in the S&W 4506 but they couldn't handle the size of the gun or the recoil. Scores went down, (not because of the accuracy). So S&W redesigned the 10mm by shortening it and calling it the 40 S&W, (you've probably heard of it). So, the FBI is not a good group to quote when it comes to firearms or calibers.

This is correct. .38 super is used in USPSA open division due to power factor and magazine capactity. (Power factor is bullet weight x velocity / 1000. Certain power factors must be met to qualify as "minor" or "major" when shooting limited and open (other divisions as well) If you cant meet the power factor, anything less than a "A" zone hit is penalized more. When magazines are limited to 140mm or 170mm depending on the division, every round counts. Top shooters have less than 1 second between runs, so extra reloads cost time.

The .45 is just as accurate as the 9mm or .38 super. Its just not practical for some divisions in competition (except single stack)

(given this is based on USPSA reference. Different competition series can have different rules)

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Ownership

1. 1000-3
This is correct. .38 super is used in USPSA open division due to power factor and magazine capactity. (Power factor is bullet weight x velocity / 1000. Certain power factors must be met to qualify as "minor" or "major" when shooting limited and open (other divisions as well) If you cant meet the power factor, anything less than a "A" zone hit is penalized more. When magazines are limited to 140mm or 170mm depending on the division, every round counts. Top shooters have less than 1 second between runs, so extra reloads cost time.

The .45 is just as accurate as the 9mm or .38 super. Its just not practical for some divisions in competition (except single stack)

(given this is based on USPSA reference. Different competition series can have different rules)
Thank you

Reactions: Jshell3
Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member

Doc,

You and Manwell are correct again! Lighter recoil, fast target acquisition, and mag capacity make a huge difference in a defensive round.

Accuracy is also dependant on each shooters comfort level, and confidence in the weapon they are carrying. Practice, and more practice will make you as accurate as you can be.

FBI:rolleyes: Jeez

Reactions: JTW
drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Doc,

You and Manwell are correct again! Lighter recoil, fast target acquisition, and mag capacity make a huge difference in a defensive round.

Accuracy is also dependant on each shooters comfort level, and confidence in the weapon they are carrying. Practice, and more practice will make you as accurate as you can be.

FBI:rolleyes: Jeez
Couldn't have said it better myself

pmward

pmward

Jul 28, 2016
Galena, Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ya'll keep talking about cycle speed and follow-up shots. Watch this video of Bill Wilson (the guy who reworked my Colt Custom .45).

Reactions: JTW and drfubar
advertisement