100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just watched The Big Burn by American Experience on Netflix and I must say it was a very enjoyable and informative documentary on the beginning days of the fledgling forest service and fighting the largest western fire back in 1910. Of notable mention, it is also the story of Ed Pulaski who designed the now famous woodland firefighting tool with a hoe on one end and an axe on the other. Another cool thing is that I went through the whole area that burned on my last trip through the Coeur D Alene and St. Joe National Forests surrounding the town of Wallace Idaho. I saw and photographed the memorial to Pulaski. Just south of there is one of the most white knuckled drives I've ever experienced in a full-size truck and trailer, (shortcut bad unless in a pioneer) as well as the Trail of the Hiawatha along the North Fork of the St. Joe River which also happens to be an amazing drive along an old railroad bed with 6-8 single track tunnels cut into the rock. A most rewarding drive and worth the experience!

I know these are National Forest roads but I got carried away with the story and pictures so please enjoy this Random Travel Thought Thread with pictures.... There are many ATV trails in the area as I saw many folks out riding through various parts of the forests ....and for those of you that thrive on the possibility, No Dinosaurs were harmed in the creating of this post, but there may or may not be some under the roads shown in the following set of pictures from that small area in the woods behind that really big tree on the river bank that died a long time ago....An amazing place to ride through history.

Note: Map picture is of area in the Benchmark Maps Road and Recreation Atlas- Idaho Pg33 C-10 area.
Fullsizeoutput 154
Fullsizeoutput 15a
Fullsizeoutput 15b
IMG 0085
Fullsizeoutput 14b
Fullsizeoutput 159
Fullsizeoutput 157
Fullsizeoutput 136
Fullsizeoutput 143
Fullsizeoutput 13b
Fullsizeoutput 137
Fullsizeoutput 13d
Fullsizeoutput 13a

Soon these pictures will have the P5 in them...

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I just watched The Big Burn by American Experience on Netflix and I must say it was a very enjoyable and informative documentary on the beginning days of the fledgling forest service and fighting the largest western fire back in 1910. Of notable mention, it is also the story of Ed Pulaski who designed the now famous woodland firefighting tool with a hoe on one end and an axe on the other. Another cool thing is that I went through the whole area that burned on my last trip through the Coeur D Alene and St. Joe National Forests surrounding the town of Wallace Idaho. I saw and photographed the memorial to Pulaski. Just south of there is one of the most white knuckled drives I've ever experienced in a full-size truck and trailer, (shortcut bad unless in a pioneer) as well as the Trail of the Hiawatha along the North Fork of the St. Joe River which also happens to be an amazing drive along an old railroad bed with 6-8 single track tunnels cut into the rock. A most rewarding drive and worth the experience!

I know these are National Forest roads but I got carried away with the story and pictures so please enjoy this Random Travel Thought Thread with pictures.... There are many ATV trails in the area as I saw many folks out riding through various parts of the forests ....and for those of you that thrive on the possibility, No Dinosaurs were harmed in the creating of this post, but there may or may not be some under the roads shown in the following set of pictures from that small area in the woods behind that really big tree on the river bank that died a long time ago....An amazing place to ride through history.

Note: Map picture is of area in the Benchmark Maps Road and Recreation Atlas- Idaho Pg33 C-10 area.
View attachment 44227 View attachment 44228 View attachment 44229 View attachment 44230 View attachment 44231 View attachment 44232 View attachment 44233 View attachment 44234 View attachment 44235 View attachment 44236 View attachment 44237 View attachment 44238 View attachment 44239
Soon these pictures will have the P5 in them...

Looks like a nice place to ride.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I watched the same show on Netflix this weekend. In my youth as a boyscout out west (kalifornia) I had many opertunities to use a Pulaski. His story is bigger than life - nothing but respect for the man but not a fan of his tool. Don't get me wrong, it dose it's job just fine I just have an adversion to implements with handles. That goes doubly for wheelbarrows - 2 handles.

Would love to explore that part of the country. Something about the smell of an arid pine forest leaves an impression. Ride some of the rail to trails. Camp with @CP. Need to figure out how to retire so I can take the time to work on the bucket list.

Cool pic's. Thanks for posting.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Hey yell at me when you head this way that's not far from our stomping grounds. We can get there by trails!

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I watched the same show on Netflix this weekend. In my youth as a boyscout out west (kalifornia) I had many opertunities to use a Pulaski. His story is bigger than life - nothing but respect for the man but not a fan of his tool. Don't get me wrong, it dose it's job just fine I just have an adversion to implements with handles. That goes doubly for wheelbarrows - 2 handles.

Would love to explore that part of the country. Something about the smell of an arid pine forest leaves an impression. Ride some of the rail to trails. Camp with @CP. Need to figure out how to retire so I can take the time to work on the bucket list.

Cool pic's. Thanks for posting.
I'd prefer the use of a Tractor, Bulldozer or Trackhoe

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey yell at me when you head this way that's not far from our stomping grounds. We can get there by trails!
Jealous! I'm heading up to Deadwood Reservoir for the total lunar eclipse on August 21st. Depending on when I get up to Idaho, I'll know more about how much spare time I'll have. I am planning on either Sturgeon fishing with @idahoron or we will ride in the Bruneau Canyon. I also want to do some wheeling up around Burgdorf Hot Springs, Secesh, and Warren which are all about 35+ miles north of McCall. I'd also like to explore Petersburg Landing(?) in Hell's Canyon, the Gospel Hump Wilderness and the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness east of Riggins. I absolutely love Idaho but my time there this year may be limited. I have to be in Rifle Colorado to house sit for friends for all of sept and oct. If you'd be interested in meeting and wheeling though I'd definitely be up for that. I'm just not sure if I'll make it as far north as Wallace again this year. That trip from last year I was coming south from Thompson's pass and Glacier NP beyond that. Every year for the past 7-8 I've spent 2.5 months exploring the west. Idaho is by far my most favorite! Bitterroots, Red River hot springs, ugh so much more to see there....
This is heading east from Riggins along the Salmon River towards Vinegar Landing and the F.C. River of No Return Wilderness...
IMG 0067

The Selway River...
IMG 0680

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Jealous! I'm heading up to Deadwood Reservoir for the total lunar eclipse on August 21st. Depending on when I get up to Idaho, I'll know more about how much spare time I'll have. I am planning on either Sturgeon fishing with @idahoron or we will ride in the Bruneau Canyon. I also want to do some wheeling up around Burgdorf Hot Springs, Secesh, and Warren which are all about 35+ miles north of McCall. I'd also like to explore Petersburg Landing(?) in Hell's Canyon, the Gospel Hump Wilderness and the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness east of Riggins. I absolutely love Idaho but my time there this year may be limited. I have to be in Rifle Colorado to house sit for friends for all of sept and oct. If you'd be interested in meeting and wheeling though I'd definitely be up for that. I'm just not sure if I'll make it as far north as Wallace again this year. That trip from last year I was coming south from Thompson's pass and Glacier NP beyond that. Every year for the past 7-8 I've spent 2.5 months exploring the west. Idaho is by far my most favorite! Bitterroots, Red River hot springs, ugh so much more to see there....
This is heading east from Riggins along the Salmon River towards Vinegar Landing and the F.C. River of No Return Wilderness...
View attachment 44273
The Selway River...
View attachment 44274
Man you get around that is awesome. Many cool places on your list we've been to but lots we still haven't gotten to and have been hitting the trails couple times a month for years. if it's within 4-5hour drive we'd love to go on a tour with you always great to ride with people and down to ride whatever. We just like to get out so seriously keep in contact

Reactions: 100Acre
IdahoPioneer

IdahoPioneer

Oct 16, 2015
Emmett, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I wish I had as much time to explore Idaho as you do! Let me know when you're headed over. I'm about an hour west of Boise. I might have some time to meet up for some exploring. Word of caution though. You mentioned the Bruneau canyon. In August it's going to be nasty hot and full of rattle snakes. April-May is much better down there.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wish I had as much time to explore Idaho as you do! Let me know when you're headed over. I'm about an hour west of Boise. I might have some time to meet up for some exploring. Word of caution though. You mentioned the Bruneau canyon. In August it's going to be nasty hot and full of rattle snakes. April-May is much better down there.
I've seen more of Idaho than many Idahoans. I've literally been all over the state and adding more areas to the list yearly. Always in search of a retreat. My buddy and I will be fishing in the Snake River Canyon for Sturgeon if the water levels drop by then. Other wise he had mentioned the Bruneau if fishing is out. I'm definitely not a big fan of the heat, snakes I can deal with. "Dinner and a Belt as I always say". I cannot come out sooner and I've been planning on meeting a bunch of other friends for the total lunar eclipse at Deadwood Reservoir on August 21st.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I've seen more of Idaho than many Idahoans. I've literally been all over the state and adding more areas to the list yearly. Always in search of a retreat. My buddy and I will be fishing in the Snake River Canyon for Sturgeon if the water levels drop by then. Other wise he had mentioned the Bruneau if fishing is out. I'm definitely not a big fan of the heat, snakes I can deal with. "Dinner and a Belt as I always say". I cannot come out sooner and I've been planning on meeting a bunch of other friends for the total lunar eclipse at Deadwood Reservoir on August 21st.

Love Idaho too and have also been in places that many of my Idaho friends have never been to. Unfortunately my main "addiction" is hunting and I spend most all of my available time off in the hills and much of the areas that I love are under the new motorized hunting rules that do not allow you to ride into an area and then hunt or they have width restrictions that would keep my P1000-3 off the trails.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Love Idaho too and have also been in places that many of my Idaho friends have never been to. Unfortunately my main "addiction" is hunting and I spend most all of my available time off in the hills and much of the areas that I love are under the new motorized hunting rules that do not allow you to ride into an area and then hunt or they have width restrictions that would keep my P1000-3 off the trails.
Go P500?

mcwright

mcwright

Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2014
McCall, ID
Pittsburg Landing near Whitebird is a beautiful area. Nearby, there is a fun ride into Kirkwood down on the Snake River as well. If you are heading to Deadwood, a fun trip would be to Yellow Pine and up to the Cinnabar Mine area. I live in McCall and the Burgdorf and Warren area are great riding as well.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pittsburg Landing near Whitebird is a beautiful area. Nearby, there is a fun ride into Kirkwood down on the Snake River as well. If you are heading to Deadwood, a fun trip would be to Yellow Pine and up to the Cinnabar Mine area. I live in McCall and the Burgdorf and Warren area are great riding as well.
I've been all over central and northern Idaho...
Fullsizeoutput d4
Fullsizeoutput f3
Fullsizeoutput 86a
Fullsizeoutput 876

M

msgtbill

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2021
idaho
Ownership

1. 500
i grew up in Orofino, Grangeville, and Lewiston. Currently in Lewiston and retired

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!