P500 About to pull trigger...

S

Sledge

I'm about to buy a used P500. I think. It's a '15, bought in 9/14, so an early one, I'm guessing.

Drove it on pavement, and all seemed well. It has 423 miles on it. It is camo, and has the Honda plastic roof and front bumper.

In addition to factory wheels and tires, it comes with a full set of like new 28" Maxxis Zillas on Sedona alloy rims, and 2" spacers.

I am buying it partly for Colorado elk hunting, and need to stay real close to 50" wide.

I can buy the whole lot for $7000.

Soo...is that a good deal?

Also, any idea what those big tires, rims, and spacers would be worth on Craigslist or the like?

I am not an aggressive rider--in fact I'm a slowpoke, and the factory meats will probably suit me just fine.

Sorry to ramble on, but I do want to thank y'all for all I've learned here in the last few days. I've been studyin'!

Probably won't post much, but am grateful for this resource.

Joe

Reactions: joeymt33
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Just take the spacers off and run those aftermarket wheels and tires. The stockers really are not good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
I'm about to buy a used P500. I think. It's a '15, bought in 9/14, so an early one, I'm guessing.

Drove it on pavement, and all seemed well. It has 423 miles on it. It is camo, and has the Honda plastic roof and front bumper.

In addition to factory wheels and tires, it comes with a full set of like new 28" Maxxis Zillas on Sedona alloy rims, and 2" spacers.

I am buying it partly for Colorado elk hunting, and need to stay real close to 50" wide.

I can buy the whole lot for $7000.

Soo...is that a good deal?

Also, any idea what those big tires, rims, and spacers would be worth on Craigslist or the like?

I am not an aggressive rider--in fact I'm a slowpoke, and the factory meats will probably suit me just fine.

Sorry to ramble on, but I do want to thank y'all for all I've learned here in the last few days. I've been studyin'!

Probably won't post much, but am grateful for this resource.

Joe
Sounds like a good price with the extras they are offering. My biggest question would be why they are selling it because most people don't want to sell the P5 unless they are getting a bigger Pioneer

S

Sledge

Sounds like a good price with the extras they are offering. My biggest question would be why they are selling it because most people don't want to sell the P5 unless they are getting a bigger Pioneer

S

Sledge

That's easy, Alan.

He bought a boat.

As a wise man said,: "A boat is a hole in the water that you pour money in."

Kayaks for me. They make a small hole in the water.

Actually though, he is a single dad, and his 8 year old daughter enjoys weekends with Dad on the water more than weekends on the trail.

He's keeping his Honda quad.

Joe

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
That's easy, Alan.

He bought a boat.

As a wise man said,: "A boat is a hole in the water that you pour money in."

Kayaks for me. They make a small hole in the water.

Actually though, he is a single dad, and his 8 year old daughter enjoys weekends with Dad on the water more than weekends on the trail.

He's keeping his Honda quad.

Joe
Reminds me when I had a boat and I have always remembered the old saying "The two happiest days of your life is the day you bought the boat and the day you sold the boat".

S

Sledge

Reminds me when I had a boat and I have always remembered the old saying "The two happiest days of your life is the day you bought the boat and the day you sold the boat".
One more:

Never take your car to a mechanic who owns a boat. He desperately needs your money. :)

Joe

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
BOAT.....stands for::::::
Bust
Out
Another
Thousand

S

Sledge

I realize I started the boat digression, and I can obviously have as much fun as anyone with it. :)

However:)...if anyone has advice on the value on the used market for 4 Sedona wheels, 4 28" near-new Maxxis Zillas, and 4 2" spacers, I would be very grateful.

I have agreed with the seller that I will tell him Monday morning whether or not I will buy. No more price negotiations.

I'm not trying to sell them to y'all, I'd just like to get a clue to their value.

Don't need advice on whether to keep them, or how good OEM is.

Thanks.

Joe

Joe

advertisement
sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
I realize I started the boat digression, and I can obviously have as much fun as anyone with it. :)

However:)...if anyone has advice on the value on the used market for 4 Sedona wheels, 4 28" near-new Maxxis Zillas, and 4 2" spacers, I would be very grateful.

I have agreed with the seller that I will tell him Monday morning whether or not I will buy. No more price negotiations.

I'm not trying to sell them to y'all, I'd just like to get a clue to their value.

Don't need advice on whether to keep them, or how good OEM is.

Thanks.

Joe

Joe
I would guess $300-400. A good rule of thumb on aftermarket parts is 50% of new value...and thats assuming you can find a buyer close to you, not easy to ship tires/wheels.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
S

Sledge

Thanks, Stomp.

My heart is fully committed, but my little brain is still saying "No, no, save your money!!"

That little guy brought me to a secure retirement, but he still won't shut up.

I'm buying that rascal, dammit!

Joe

Reactions: 500oneer
S

Sledge

Uh-oh. I just read the oil change thread, and from what the seller told me about changing the oil, I now suspect he hasn't done it.

Assuming he's run the machine 423 miles in 17 months without changing the oil, should I pass on buying this P500?

Joe

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Uh-oh. I just read the oil change thread, and from what the seller told me about changing the oil, I now suspect he hasn't done it.

Assuming he's run the machine 423 miles in 17 months without changing the oil, should I pass on buying this P500?

Joe
It'll be ok.

ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand

Joe

No. The friend who got me started in this ATV obsession went 500+ before his first change. It was dirty but not bad. And don't fear the oil change it ain't that bad. If I can, anyone can. I know diddly about these machines and found it really easy. There's a great thread here with step by steps

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Blows my mind that someone wouldn't change the oil. Use that as a bargaining chip and drop the price. Should have had the valve lash checked too. If you buy it, change the oil first thing and check valve lash!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Blows my mind that someone wouldn't change the oil. Use that as a bargaining chip and drop the price. Should have had the valve lash checked too. If you buy it, change the oil first thing and check valve lash!

It's not that big of a deal. When I pulled my oil, it had nothing in it. I cut open that joke of a filter and found nothing in it either. I left the drain plug out over night to get the last drop out. My second change was oil only. The thing is, if Honda actually had a filter in there besides that thimble, it might be worth the trouble. I'm pulling the plug, leaving it out overnight, and then topping it off with new BRT synthetic. I'll probably change that stupid filter every other time or so.

S

Sledge

It's not that big of a deal. When I pulled my oil, it had nothing in it. I cut open that joke of a filter and found nothing in it either. I left the drain plug out over night to get the last drop out. My second change was oil only. The thing is, if Honda actually had a filter in there besides that thimble, it might be worth the trouble. I'm pulling the plug, leaving it out overnight, and then topping it off with new BRT synthetic. I'll probably change that stupid filter every other time or so.
Thanks all. The oil was clear, so maybe he had changed it after all.

Just the fact that he said there was nothing to it made me wonder after reading the oil change thread on this forum.

Looks like there's a LOT to it to me, at least with the filter. I only have one arm, and I'm not confident that I can do that.

I'm not too cheap to pay for it to be done, but my experience with the "mechanics" at motorcycle shops is plumb scary. $110/hr is a lot to pay a 19 year old kid to abuse my baby.

Added to that, I think they charge for work they don't do. With all the work that filter change entails, I can see them saying they changed it when they didn't.

Maybe I have trust issues. :)

I'm encouraged by your experience, Montecresto. Heck, my Honda 2kw generator doesn't even have an oil filter.

Maybe I'll just change the oil and call it good for now. I'll be in Colorado in the fall, where my hunting buddy is a Honda guy who does all his own work, and can help me change the filter.

Joe

bigbore

bigbore

Jan 5, 2016
I would guess $300-400. A good rule of thumb on aftermarket parts is 50% of new value...and thats assuming you can find a buyer close to you, not easy to ship tires/wheels.

Thanks.

Joe

Joe

I just sold my OEM tires w/rims on CL. They were like new, taken off immediately after purchase. My experience was VERY little interest. I kept dropping the price until I received responses to my add and had to practically give them away. YMMV.

As a boate(Yes, I want to go there too) who started the myth that boats were money makers like UTVs.;)

S

Sledge

I just sold my OEM tires w/rims on CL. They were like new, taken off immediately after purchase. My experience was VERY little interest. I kept dropping the price until I received responses to my add and had to practically give them away. YMMV.

As a boate(Yes, I want to go there too) who started the myth that boats were money makers like UTVs.;)

Bigbore, I am going to have to sell one set or the other. I live in my RV full-time, and my garage/shop is a 14' cargo trailer. No room for a spare wheelset.

So...how much did you end up selling the OEM set for?

Joe

advertisement