Accessory wiring

C

cooperwafzig

Apr 7, 2019
kentucky
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hello, new talon owner here, going to be adding a winch in the next few days. While I am at installing that I am wanting to make the talon ready to add lights and such once I get a second battery. I ordered the type b key on plug and pigtail kit that plugs into the horn wire. I am planning on using this for power on signal for the winch, a fuse/relay box, and possibly an amplifier. So it should not have any load being pulled from it. My question is, if I splice 3 butt connectors to the positive side will I need to add 3 butt connectors to the negative side as well or can I bring that negative back to battery post or ground location on frame? I hope the way I'm explaining is clear to understand. I am not a 12v wizard and struggle with it sometimes. Thanks

Reactions: TripleB
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
So it should not have any load being pulled from it. My question is, if I splice 3 butt connectors to the positive side will I need to add 3 butt connectors to the negative side as well
For low amp usage off the key-on source... grounding to the main frame would be fine.

Reactions: Mudwing and TripleB
C

cooperwafzig

Apr 7, 2019
kentucky
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thank you. Since I will be making a plate to mount the fuse box and winch solenoid to should I install positive and negative terminal posts for when I install the second battery and isolator or just jump off of the winch posts.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Personal choice....
And while people do it... I don't recommend jumping off the winch contactor post.
You risk shocking/starving everything attached to it when the winch is in use.
Ultimately, you want the winch direct to the second battery. and a second line for accessories.
And the primary (original) line will then be linked to the isolator.

sspeederr

sspeederr

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 10, 2020
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
i have to agree aand echo Hondasxs above advise. from my trial and error just to see cause and effect of wiring things a little differently then your should when running a second battery Hondasxs has it spot on, on how to ultimately set yourself up for a proper install for all needs.

Reactions: Mudwing
C

cooperwafzig

Apr 7, 2019
kentucky
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
So hook the winch up to oem battery until I get the second battery kit then switch winch power to second battery and use oem cables from main battery to connect to the isolator?

Reactions: sspeederr

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!