HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Hess flat wheel and quick release finally came in. Really like the feel of the wheel. Very slight play/wiggle (like +/- mm or two) when you push and pull the wheel with the quick disconnect but zero side to side play so I'm good with it.

PXL 20220216 221235705

PXL 20220216 221144285

T

TittiesAndBeer

Mar 3, 2021
South of hooker
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Hess flat wheel and quick release finally came in. Really like the feel of the wheel. Very slight play/wiggle (like +/- mm or two) when you push and pull the wheel with the quick disconnect but zero side to side play so I'm good with it.

View attachment 319737

View attachment 319738
Sweet!! I would say keep them at 10 & 2... buuuut we’ll just go with noon!

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4

View attachment 319737

View attachment 319738
Interesting location for the phone mount. Going to video from it?

Looking good. About time to wear the new off it.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R

View attachment 319737

View attachment 319738
You are going to hate that Hess quick release deal after a few rides. I put one on my car when I first built it and it felt like yours, but after a few uses it wasn't so fine anymore. That thing has a ton of slop now and it tends to get stuck trying to take the wheel on and off. The only quick releases that are worth a s*** are the splined kind and I knew this from my circle track racing days but i went against my better judgment and bought it anyway. I have since bought a Dragonfire splined quick release to replace that pile of Hess garbage and will be running that this year.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
You are going to hate that Hess quick release deal after a few rides. I put one on my car when I first built it and it felt like yours, but after a few uses it wasn't so fine anymore. That thing has a ton of slop now and it tends to get stuck trying to take the wheel on and off. The only quick releases that are worth a s*** are the splined kind and I knew this from my circle track racing days but i went against my better judgment and bought it anyway. I have since bought a Dragonfire splined quick release to replace that pile of Hess garbage and will be running that this year.
Shoot me a link to the splined unit you bought. I've never messed with quick release wheels before, but can definitely see where this one would worsen over time just with how it is built with these little detents and balls.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Shoot me a link to the splined unit you bought. I've never messed with quick release wheels before, but can definitely see where this one would worsen over time just with how it is built with these little detents and balls.
It ain't cheap......

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
It ain't cheap......

Not that bad if it's a solid product. Thanks for the link

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Not that bad if it's a solid product. Thanks for the link
I'd make a video comparing the two but I've been slacking on the racecar lately and it's still sitting in the box it came in. So are many other parts I bought this winter....... Wife and I are in the process of buying a house and it's not looking good for me to be racing much this year. 😪

advertisement
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
After-action report after the first real ride...

We did a little over 200 miles over the course of 3 days at Tackett Creek. We had 3 Talon R (2 LV, 1 Non), 2 Talon X, 1 X4, 2 Pioneers, 1 RZR 1000 4 seater, and a YXZ. The YXZ blew the front diff on Saturday morning and @Ohio4x4 Pioneer lost the cooling fan and an axle so he loaded up early and headed home before we hit the trails Saturday. @TripleB had other obligations Saturday so he only graced us with his presence on Friday.

Not a fan of the SuperATV split window. I love it on the Pioneer, but on the Talon the split is right in my field of vision and I have to crane my neck to try and see over it once it gets dirty, especially on a climb. I'm 5'11" so it probably wouldn't be an issue if you're a taller guy. Going to pick up a full glass windshield with the wiper to try out.

I bought Mud-busters but never installed them because I didn't want to destroy them; that was a poor decision...

This thing throws so much mud, it's wild. I was the only R without mudbusters and I basically couldn't keep up with the group because of it. We'd clean the windshield and 10 minutes later there'd be so much mud on it we'd have to open it to see. Wouldn't have been a huge issue in better weather, but it SUCKED in 30* weather at 45-60mph.

Still not crazy about the i-4WD, but it did get us through everything. Few times I had to back up and hit it with a little wheel speed to get it to engage, but other than that it did it's thing. I have the TorqLocker and plan to install it after I get a few more miles on the machine.

I don't care for these Terra-Hooks either so I'm 95% sure there are a set of 32" Zillas in the near future.

I really like the machine. Tons of fun to rip through the trails and bang those shifters. The Live-Valve is really cool; I didn't really want it but now that I've ridden it through some difficult terrain it seems to work really well.

Stilly1155

Stilly1155

Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2020
Peoria AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X4

We did a little over 200 miles over the course of 3 days at Tackett Creek. We had 3 Talon R (2 LV, 1 Non), 2 Talon X, 1 X4, 2 Pioneers, 1 RZR 1000 4 seater, and a YXZ. The YXZ blew the front diff on Saturday morning and @Ohio4x4 Pioneer lost the cooling fan and an axle so he loaded up early and headed home before we hit the trails Saturday. @TripleB had other obligations Saturday so he only graced us with his presence on Friday.

Not a fan of the SuperATV split window. I love it on the Pioneer, but on the Talon the split is right in my field of vision and I have to crane my neck to try and see over it once it gets dirty, especially on a climb. I'm 5'11" so it probably wouldn't be an issue if you're a taller guy. Going to pick up a full glass windshield with the wiper to try out.

View attachment 321763

I bought Mud-busters but never installed them because I didn't want to destroy them; that was a poor decision...

This thing throws so much mud, it's wild. I was the only R without mudbusters and I basically couldn't keep up with the group because of it. We'd clean the windshield and 10 minutes later there'd be so much mud on it we'd have to open it to see. Wouldn't have been a huge issue in better weather, but it SUCKED in 30* weather at 45-60mph.

View attachment 321764

Still not crazy about the i-4WD, but it did get us through everything. Few times I had to back up and hit it with a little wheel speed to get it to engage, but other than that it did it's thing. I have the TorqLocker and plan to install it after I get a few more miles on the machine.

I don't care for these Terra-Hooks either so I'm 95% sure there are a set of 32" Zillas in the near future.

I really like the machine. Tons of fun to rip through the trails and bang those shifters. The Live-Valve is really cool; I didn't really want it but now that I've ridden it through some difficult terrain it seems to work really well.

This would make a good commercial for MudBusters!

(MudBusters).... Don't leave home without them!

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 321763

View attachment 321764

Talk to Tyler about your tires, he may swap, or buy them after his experience with the zillas on last ride.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X

View attachment 321763

View attachment 321764

First ride in my '16 RZR S1000 was like this too. Had mud clumps in my shirt collar while riding at Sandstone. Installed Mudbusters to eliminate that, even though they really are ugly on a RZR. After I got my Talon X first ride was the same thing, mud in my shirt collar again!! Installed Mudbusters on Talon, problem solved. The Talon Mudbusters do look better than the RZR ones. I did not install the front Mudbusters on Talon.

I was skeptical about the Talon i-4wd but it does work well for trail riding. My father-in-law runs in 4wd all the time on trails. I prefer drifting in 2wd.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
First ride in my '16 RZR S1000 was like this too. Had mud clumps in my shirt collar while riding at Sandstone. Installed Mudbusters to eliminate that, even though they really are ugly on a RZR. After I got my Talon X first ride was the same thing, mud in my shirt collar again!! Installed Mudbusters on Talon, problem solved. The Talon Mudbusters do look better than the RZR ones. I did not install the front Mudbusters on Talon.

I was skeptical about the Talon i-4wd but it does work well for trail riding. My father-in-law runs in 4wd all the time on trails. I prefer drifting in 2wd.
I've never made a whole weekend of riding without tearing off a front mudbuster. I didn't want them on mine either. But I did put the small ones on the rear.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
She cleans up pretty good!

i-4WD stickers are no more, they were trashed. I cut them off both sides with a razor knife to follow the fender line

Need to figure out a way to reinforce the mounts for the fenders/plastics at the B-Pillars. The mounts are super thin sheet metal and already at a slight angle, so rubbing a tree or pretty much any kind of pressure on that area will fold them...

Upper

Lower

The old s***box pulled them back straight with the winch and then I welded them back up. The backside on both were halfass welded from the factory and had cold welds. Hard to tell from the pics, but the weld basically just cracked off the frame on one of them:

Added a little filler, welded back up, and got them back straight. Still want to figure out a way to brace them up. Can't really do gussets because there are plastic pieces that slide over them.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Added a little filler, welded back up, and got them back straight. Still want to figure out a way to brace them up. Can't really do gussets because there are plastic pieces that slide over them.
Can you box them in top and bottom? Maybe with some 3/16" or 1/4" thick flat steel? Really not a whole lot of options

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!