P1000 Agressive LOW Range shifting

B

Bduck04

Feb 17, 2016
Nevada
Hey everyone. So, here's what's going on; While in Low, trail riding, my machine (308 miles) shifts so aggressive that after a 2 hour ride, I had noticeable neck and abdomen discomfort. Yes, my abs hurt from tensing up so much, and I'm in great shape! It does this on both ends, shifting up and down. So ultimately, it makes riding a rocky trail incredibly rough cause it is shifting gears so much, up and down, and every time it shifts, it feels like I'm getting rear ended. The shifting in high range is like driving my pickup. Smooth as a baby's bottom. However, I'm not in high unless I'm going over 30 mph. Is this the norm for everyone? Also, I have noticed a strange rattle going on and it is 100% coming from the engine area. It happens in any gear while on the throttle... I know that's a garbage description, but that is the best I can come up with. I took it to the dealer, who are a bunch of badass guys, and they said that it's noise in the tranny. So they had to start a case with honda to get the approval to tear it open under warranty. Sorry for the long winded post. Just hoping that there are maybe some answers to this stuff. Thanks guys.

Reactions: Tot
B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hey everyone. So, here's what's going on; While in Low, trail riding, my machine (308 miles) shifts so aggressive that after a 2 hour ride, I had noticeable neck and abdomen discomfort. Yes, my abs hurt from tensing up so much, and I'm in great shape! It does this on both ends, shifting up and down. So ultimately, it makes riding a rocky trail incredibly rough cause it is shifting gears so much, up and down, and every time it shifts, it feels like I'm getting rear ended. The shifting in high range is like driving my pickup. Smooth as a baby's bottom. However, I'm not in high unless I'm going over 30 mph. Is this the norm for everyone? Also, I have noticed a strange rattle going on and it is 100% coming from the engine area. It happens in any gear while on the throttle... I know that's a garbage description, but that is the best I can come up with. I took it to the dealer, who are a bunch of badass guys, and they said that it's noise in the tranny. So they had to start a case with honda to get the approval to tear it open under warranty. Sorry for the long winded post. Just hoping that there are maybe some answers to this stuff. Thanks guys.

Check fluids.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Throttle control, if you just mash it in low range or let off completely in low range it will shift as abruptly as you get on or off the gas pedal. The computer reads throttle position as part of determining how to shift. Use some self control and it does not shift violently up or down. You are not the first nor likely the last that will comment on this. I have nearly 500 miles on mine and 1/2 of it was in low range, using the throttle judiciously is the key to smooth shifting up and down. This isn't a rubber band drivetrain and you have to learn not to drive it like one.

B

Bduck04

Feb 17, 2016
Nevada
I completely agree with learning how to drive this new machine. However, it shifts like this on a nice flat paved road also. Like I said, high range is smooth as can be. But having complete and steady throttle control while on paved road, it slams super hard.? Any thoughts??

P

PineTree

Sep 9, 2015
Andover, IL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The longer I have mine, the more I like manual shifting. Then you have control when it shifts. Have you tried this bud? I have noticed that in Low Range it will stay in gear longer, and maybe a little stronger shifts. That's why I like the manual shifting, if I want to go slow or run a lower rpm, I can either leave it in gear or upshift.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I completely agree with learning how to drive this new machine. However, it shifts like this on a nice flat paved road also. Like I said, high range is smooth as can be. But having complete and steady throttle control while on paved road, it slams super hard.? Any thoughts??

I'll grant you it does shift with authority in low range, but whether it jerks you or not depends on how much you are on the throttle, if you are in it hard it will lunge forward with the higher gear, but if you are slowly accelerating it does not lunge. The person in the seat it in total control of how the machine operates, some people have had issues adjusting to how it shifts because they never learned throttle control. There is a technique to learning how much pedal to apply and let off for maintaining smooth control. Some people figure it out and some people hate it because they are unwilling to unlearn the habits of how they drove a different type of machine. A 6 speed transmission is just that 6 distinct speeds where a CVT is a linear acceleration like an electric motor (infinitely variable). I get that you don't experience it in high range but only in low range and that is why the shifting is so pronounced, it goes through all six gears in 0-20 mph. Some people use the hump just to the right of the gas pedal to rest their heel on using their toes on the gas in rough terrain that has solved the issue for some completely, as they could not maintain control of their own foot in rocky terrain. Hope that helps, just don't keep doing the same thing over and over and expect a different result experiment with what works best for you on foot position and throttle control.

Imagine a car with 650HP and you just jab the throttle would you expect it to launch and shift with a sport tuned transmission smoothly? Same could be said for a truck in 4x4 low range it too will jerk the crap out of you going 0-30 and vice versa if the pedal is just mashed and let off of completely.

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've noticed the same thing. That's why I only use low to climb stuff or if I'm going really slow or if I'm going to put any kind of bind on the machine. Other than that I'm in high might not be good for the clutch. But I like the comfort of high so that's how I roll.

adnoh

adnoh

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2013
Throttle control, if you just mash it in low range or let off completely in low range it will shift as abruptly as you get on or off the gas pedal. The computer reads throttle position as part of determining how to shift. Use some self control and it does not shift violently up or down. You are not the first nor likely the last that will comment on this. I have nearly 500 miles on mine and 1/2 of it was in low range, using the throttle judiciously is the key to smooth shifting up and down. This isn't a rubber band drivetrain and you have to learn not to drive it like one.

^^^^^^^ X2 What he said .

DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Yep, it took me some getting used to running in low, especially in a pasture where it was rough, pretty sure I gave my wife and I whip lash! We must have looked like a couple of head bangers going back and forth there for a couple of seconds. Felt like an idiot that didn't know how to drive.

Reactions: dotman1
B

Bduck04

Feb 17, 2016
Nevada
Throttle not mashed, extremely smooth acceleration. Owner of 2 high end technical rock crawlers and an offroad enthusiast for over 30 years. That being said, this machine is not difficult to figure out when and where you should or shouldn't throttle. However, when it does shift, it slams and jerks. Doesn't matter if you're powering through or driving like a normal individual expecting and knowing when and where the machine is going to shift even on pavement. Anybody with a set of ears should know when your machine is going to shift. And when it does, it slams, jerks, and sounds like someone is hitting the top of a metal trashcan with a sledgehammer. My question essentially was, is anyone else experiencing this violent shift given that your foot placement, throttle control, heart rate, blood pressure and star alignment is absolutely dialed, and if so, is it normal or was it something that had to fixed?.. Also, what's starting to get me a touch nervous is a spike in rpm in 3,5... I don't want to rest on the hinge of clutch slip and would like to give the machine the benefit of the doubt. Trust me, I very badly want it to be operator error. In most of my cases, I can't ride in high due to clutch confusion and gear lagging... Just a hair too high for what I do.

M

Mountie

Lifetime Member
Jan 29, 2016
West By God....
I find low gear in the p1k to be similar to my JK jeep with 4:10 gears in low range. Each shift is abrupt in both machines, but throttle control will soften the shock. Also, in low range on the P1K, the 1-2 shift happens around 7mph in auto mode, so if you're mindful of this and lower throttle pressure the shifts will be much smoother.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Throttle not mashed, extremely smooth acceleration. Owner of 2 high end technical rock crawlers and an offroad enthusiast for over 30 years. That being said, this machine is not difficult to figure out when and where you should or shouldn't throttle. However, when it does shift, it slams and jerks. Doesn't matter if you're powering through or driving like a normal individual expecting and knowing when and where the machine is going to shift even on pavement. Anybody with a set of ears should know when your machine is going to shift. And when it does, it slams, jerks, and sounds like someone is hitting the top of a metal trashcan with a sledgehammer. My question essentially was, is anyone else experiencing this violent shift given that your foot placement, throttle control, heart rate, blood pressure and star alignment is absolutely dialed, and if so, is it normal or was it something that had to fixed?.. Also, what's starting to get me a touch nervous is a spike in rpm in 3,5... I don't want to rest on the hinge of clutch slip and would like to give the machine the benefit of the doubt. Trust me, I very badly want it to be operator error. In most of my cases, I can't ride in high due to clutch confusion and gear lagging... Just a hair too high for what I do.
by your description, it sounds like you have a mechanical issue. low range shifting can be rather abrupt, but it shouldn't make sounds like you described. all that plus rpm spikes, sounds like a mechanical issue. maybe clutches or shift solenoids or oil pressure issue. let the dealer figure it out for you and fix it up. sorry about your luck. let us know what they say when they tear it apart.

Tot

Tot

Lifetime Member
Dec 14, 2015
Des Arc, Arkansas
In low gear the best way to take out the jerking is in manual mode. I didn't like how high the RPMs were going up, and it was a bit jerky. In manual you can shift a little early and makes life much better. Granted that's all on flat ground, I'm hoping to get to ride in the mountains this weekend if I don't have to work.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: PineTree
B

Bduck04

Feb 17, 2016
Nevada
The dealership service manager drove out to my house lastnight to ride in the machine with me. He felt bad over the phone, so lastnight he came over and hopped in.. Which I thought was pretty cool. I live in Nevada and my house is backed up to an ocean of BLM, so after about 1 mile he had me turn it around and load it up on his trailer. Said that the slamming and jerking was NOT the norm and a feature Honda has for this machine. And the rattle coming from she tranny has gotten worse. So it's in their hands now...

cwalton

cwalton

Who has more fun!
Lifetime Member
Mar 21, 2016
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Sorry to hear of the issues,but sounds like you have an exceptional dealership service manager! Good luck and keep us posted.

GumpAir

GumpAir

Jun 16, 2016
Dayton, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The dealership service manager drove out to my house lastnight to ride in the machine with me. He felt bad over the phone, so lastnight he came over and hopped in.. Which I thought was pretty cool. I live in Nevada and my house is backed up to an ocean of BLM, so after about 1 mile he had me turn it around and load it up on his trailer. Said that the slamming and jerking was NOT the norm and a feature Honda has for this machine. And the rattle coming from she tranny has gotten worse. So it's in their hands now...

Mine (2016 P1000-03 with 500 miles) is doing the same thing, and the only way to smooth it out is to use MANUAL mode in low range. Also, I've had two overtemps while in low (both manual and auto mode) pulling steep hills at 4-6,000 RPM. When I pull not quite as steep, but same RPM in HIGH range, the temps stay at two bars.

In northern Nevada also, back to the dealer tomorrow.

Gump

1234Doug

Jan 10, 2019
Bancroft Ont
Ownership

1. 500

1234Doug

Jan 10, 2019
Bancroft Ont
Ownership

1. 500
My p 1000 has 100 mi. on it works the same would think somebody is under the machine with a hammer hitting the floor board every time it shifts not much fun mine is back to the dealer my buddy has same machine his does not act like mine at all other issues to think maybe i found the lemon of the bunch .

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
In low gear the best way to take out the jerking is in manual mode. I didn't like how high the RPMs were going up, and it was a bit jerky. In manual you can shift a little early and makes life much better.
Exactly this!!!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!