Talon Air Cleaner concern on my 1000x

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
I'm a new talon owner and last weekend was my first outing riding about 55 miles on dusty gravel roads.
Tonight I looked at the filter and it is more dirty than I'm comfortable by using it again. It says to not use compressed air to reverse clean it so that is not possible.

I kant think buying a new 40 dollar filter ever time I take a ride is justified. What is everyone experiencing with this issue I may be having.

Is there a good after market filter that is reusable available ??. I'm concerned about the sand dunes as well,,, in my ATV days I used a K&N filter with a outer wear and I oiled the inside of the air box,, never a problem.

Reactions: TxDoc and BWAF
GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Post a picture of the air filter so we can see what you are dealing with.

How I clean a filter I plan to reinstall is tap it / smack it gently against a smooth surface like a concrete floor or what ever is handy. to dislodge the dust.

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Ownership

1. Talon X
Post a picture of the air filter so we can see what you are dealing with.

How I clean a filter I plan to reinstall is tap it / smack it gently against a smooth surface like a concrete floor or what ever is handy. to dislodge the dust.

The paper type element is green in color and it acts like it is oiled but it is not,,so dirt sticks to it and can not be shook off even by smacking it on a flat surface. I hope someone comes up with one that can be cleaned as opposed to paying for a forty dollar filter after a couple of days of riding in semi dusty or sandy conditions. Poor planning on Honda

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Post a picture of your filter. The air filter is a really high end filter. It can look bad but have a lot of clean area left. You might try adding a 3 inch Honda Rancher filter on the 3 inch tube inside the air box if there is room. I made a snorkel for most of my side by sides and always run it up under the roof then add a pre filter. My main factory filter is good for over 20,000 miles. I clean my prefilter at every oil change. There is one snorkel available now and I expect there will be more before long.

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Ownership

1. Talon X
Post a picture of your filter. The air filter is a really high end filter. It can look bad but have a lot of clean area left. You might try adding a 3 inch Honda Rancher filter on the 3 inch tube inside the air box if there is room. I made a snorkel for most of my side by sides and always run it up under the roof then add a pre filter. My main factory filter is good for over 20,000 miles. I clean my prefilter at every oil change. There is one snorkel available now and I expect there will be more before long.

I can get a pic but it is too late at night to do,,, and I'm new to here and I need you to advise me how to post a pic,, it is probably easy to do but for some reason me and pics dont get along sometimes LOL Thanks big time for your input.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
At the lower right side of the comment ,there is an upload file bar. Touch it and it will ask you what file you want to upload. Take picture with your phone and select that file. It will upload it. Then touch the thumbnail option and select the post reply
Bar.

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Ownership

1. Talon X
At the lower right side of the comment ,there is an upload file bar. Touch it and it will ask you what file you want to upload. Take picture with your phone and select that file. It will upload it. Then touch the thumbnail option and select the post reply
Bar.
I did not get the pic,,,,truthfully I forgot to take it and put the filter back.... What I did do was use a old ATV sand trick, that was to oil the inside of the air box. I also hunted around in walmart and found a furnace filter mesh that you cut to size. The stuff was not woven really tight but I judged tight enuf to catch any dust etc etc. I cut it to the exact size of the filter and positioned it in front of the filter so dirt will get caught in it before it gets to the filter. My concern is any air flow restriction that would effect performance,, I will find that out tomorrow after I put in the engine oil that is dripping overnight. If this works I will be happy as a lark,,,the filter is washable but it is so cheap I can just throw it away and make a new one. I think I can get 3 filter pieces out of one sheet that cost two dollars and some change.

Thanks for the info on sending a pic.

Reactions: Someguy
R

Remington1958

Apr 28, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
The more you mess with trying to clean a filter the more likely you will ruin it and not know you did and wreck your engine.
Just run it till you loose power and put a new one in. The filter will work until all of the pleats get packed full of dust and you notice power loss.

D

Diceman9

Jun 10, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X
I have used a R2C filter (see link in previous post) on my RZR. Very impressed with it. You can blow it out from the inside and also wash it in water to clean. I'm not part of R2C.....

Reactions: BWAF and DRKnight
stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Here is a pic I took of my air filter while inspecting it with 103 miles on it (was doing my 100-mile maintenance).

Intial Maint Air Filter 05

About half the riding was in fairly dusty conditions at Crossbar Ranch in Oklahoma and the other half was at the sand dunes at Little Sahara in Oklahoma. I thought the filter looked fairly good. As someone else mentioned, there is a heck of a lot of surface area in the pleats of that paper filter. I'm not worried about it.

Steve

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Ownership

1. Talon X
Here is a pic I took of my air filter while inspecting it with 103 miles on it (was doing my 100-mile maintenance).

View attachment 136273

About half the riding was in fairly dusty conditions at Crossbar Ranch in Oklahoma and the other half was at the sand dunes at Little Sahara in Oklahoma. I thought the filter looked fairly good. As someone else mentioned, there is a heck of a lot of surface area in the pleats of that paper filter. I'm not worried about it.

Steve

This is exactly how my air cleaner looks after the dusty ride I had that I spoke about in my original post. I can imagine how it would look after 200 more miles and mine is the same. The filters are 40 some bucks a pop thus a washable reusable filter would be a nice thing to have.

BTW Steve, I plan to go to Waynoka myself,,, did you use paddle tires? if not how well did you get around with stock tires.

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
This is exactly how my air cleaner looks after the dusty ride I had that I spoke about in my original post. I can imagine how it would look after 200 more miles and mine is the same. The filters are 40 some bucks a pop thus a washable reusable filter would be a nice thing to have.

BTW Steve, I plan to go to Waynoka myself,,, did you use paddle tires? if not how well did you get around with stock tires.

I really don't think it looks too bad. I'm acustomed to seeing EXTREMELY dirty filters on my Grizzlies. Regarding riding in the dunes; I didn't have paddles. I aired my stock tires down to 9psi and probably could have gone to 8. They did pretty good for stock tires. As others have commented before, the Talon could use a bit more power on steep climbs in the dunes, but we had a blast. It was our first time there and we'll certainly be back. We have the X model, as we do mostly trail riding (mostly in the mountains of New Mexico and Colorado).

My only regret was loosing a dry bag off the back of my machine that had two rain jackets in it (one of them Goretex). Didn't notice it was missing until we were done and loading up. That's about $250-300 down the tubes. My fault for not having secured it properly. Oh well, live and learn. No doubt somebody ran across them and now has a nice couple of camo jackets. Hope they enjoy them...

Steve

Reactions: ttalley63
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Check my 2,500 mile report for pictures of my snorkel. We ride with a one minute separation to avoid riding in the dust and wait at turns. The intake location is in a dusty location. There should be clean air snorkels available before long and the $400 particle separator. My buddies run the particle separators on their Maverick Turbo's and RZR 1000's. Talon - 2,500 mile report

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Ownership

1. Talon X
I really don't think it looks too bad. I'm acustomed to seeing EXTREMELY dirty filters on my Grizzlies. Regarding riding in the dunes; I didn't have paddles. I aired my stock tires down to 9psi and probably could have gone to 8. They did pretty good for stock tires. As others have commented before, the Talon could use a bit more power on steep climbs in the dunes, but we had a blast. It was our first time there and we'll certainly be back. We have the X model, as we do mostly trail riding (mostly in the mountains of New Mexico and Colorado).

My only regret was loosing a dry bag off the back of my machine that had two rain jackets in it (one of them Goretex). Didn't notice it was missing until we were done and loading up. That's about $250-300 down the tubes. My fault for not having secured it properly. Oh well, live and learn. No doubt somebody ran across them and now has a nice couple of camo jackets. Hope they enjoy them...

Steve
Check your PM

Reactions: stellarpod
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X

View attachment 136273

Steve
That is not bad at all . I have uni filter pre filter . Cost about 12.00 for 4 of them .They are foam , cleanable ,don't seem to cause an air flow problem and stop MOST of the particulates before they get to the OEM filter . I buy a sheet of UNI filter material 12x16" I think and cut it into 4" squares , hose clamp to inlet tube in the air filter box and clean it every few rides .I have been using this set up on my Pioneer for 3 years and it has served me well .

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
My Prefilter is in a under roof clean air location. I don't follow in the dust. I'm near 4,000 miles and will replace it probably at 10,000. I replace my stock filter at 20,000 miles if necessary. The stock filter with the stock air intake location should be ok for 1,000 to 2,000 miles and if you ride in a rain forest it should be good for 40,000 miles or 5 years. The S&B Particle filter should be available later this year.

PreFilter
PreFilter1

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
do you get much intake noise with the pre filter in cab?

D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
I received my particle Separator yesterday. I got tired of waiting for them to come up with one for the Talon. I ordered the one for the Polaris RZR 1000S. The only thing I will be using out of the kit is the separator itself there flex tube for now and electrical wiring and hose clamps.

Since I have a full rear safety glass window, there is no cross bar to mount it too. I am installing a 1" X 2" rectangular cross bar across the back and under the roof overhang. I am using the rectangular tubing VS 1 3/4" round just to reduce that 3/4" less rear site loss and make it easier to make mounts to attach the separator. I cut a hole for the the exhaust port of the separator to fit down thru the rear center of the roof over hang and also to reduce overall height of the unit. This lets it install outside of the cab area and tuck up close to the rear window.
For the flex tube to the factory air box. I am routing it across on the passenger side and dropping down to the fender body panel. I will cut a 4" hole there and then connect it by using a ABS reducer that fits the air box 2 7/8" round male entry pipe and brings it out to the 3 1/2" needed for the flex pipe connection. I will have to come up with a robber o - ring to protect the flex pipe at the body panel entry point.

So far everything is going smoothly. I will post pictures ect. when it is finished.... DRK

Last edited:
Reactions: nm6r
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
No intake noise and I'm at 4,000 miles now. Looks like I will replace the pre filter at 6,000 to 7,000 miles. I don't follow in the dust and since the prefilter is in clean air it stays fairly clean. I sold my Pioneer 500 to my buddy and with the under roof prefilter the stock air filter is still clean at 8,000 miles. He cleans and reoils the prefilter every 1,000 miles and rides in mild dust occasionally.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!