Talon Air Cleaner concern on my 1000x

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
get a frog skin to cover the filter for water. It helps keep filter clean with larger dirt too. Just be sure filter is large enough so does not restrict with it on

Reactions: TerryH and CID
D

deltajp

Mar 2, 2020
Huntington Beach, CA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks, that's good to know. I'll get another Teryx tube to extend up to the roof if the lower position doesn't work out - rain for instance.

That aluminum tubing kit looks interesting but it's listed as 2-1/2" - the Teryx tube is just under a full 3". @deltajp - what's the outside dimension of that aluminum tubing?

It might not be obvious from Mudpuppy's video. It's a 3-inch OD tube that enters the air filter box. When I removed the oddly-shaped intake plumbing from the air filter box, I cut off several inches off that 3-inch tube and clamped it to the air filter box. From there, I used a rubber 3-inch to 2 1/2 inch rubber reducer to connect to the remainder of the tubing. I removed the cross-hatched piece of plastic at the top front of the right rear fender, and the 2 1/2 inch tube goes right through without drilling a hole. The ID of the aluminum tubing is very close to the ID of the thick-walled plastic Honda tubing, so I think there is very little loss of airflow.

Reactions: CID
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Upgr8 Universal Outside Diameter... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FAVUD7Y?tag=sxsweb24-20
Upgr8 Universal 3-Ply 3" Straight... Amazon.com: Upgr8 Universal 3-Ply 3" Straight Coupler Silicone Hose 76mm + T Bolt Clamps (3" BLUE): Automotive
Spectre Performance 87381 Intake... Amazon.com: Spectre Performance 87381 Intake Tube: Automotive
Spectre Performance 86681 Intake... Amazon.com: Spectre Performance 86681 Intake Tube: Automotive
RTunes Racing BLUE 3" 76mm Inlet... Amazon.com: RTunes Racing BLUE 3" 76mm Inlet Cold Air Intake Cone Replacement Quality Dry Air Filter: Automotive

I used these pieces off of amazon, ran it up the back side of the rear window, still need to find a clean way to clamp it to the rops

Reactions: TerryH and CID
TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
Upgr8 Universal Outside Diameter... Amazon.com: Upgr8 Universal Outside Diameter Polished Aluminum Pipe (3.0"(76MM), 360 Degree): Automotive
Upgr8 Universal 3-Ply 3" Straight... Amazon.com: Upgr8 Universal 3-Ply 3" Straight Coupler Silicone Hose 76mm + T Bolt Clamps (3" BLUE): Automotive
Spectre Performance 87381 Intake... Amazon.com: Spectre Performance 87381 Intake Tube: Automotive
Spectre Performance 86681 Intake... Amazon.com: Spectre Performance 86681 Intake Tube: Automotive
RTunes Racing BLUE 3" 76mm Inlet... Amazon.com: RTunes Racing BLUE 3" 76mm Inlet Cold Air Intake Cone Replacement Quality Dry Air Filter: Automotive

I used these pieces off of amazon, ran it up the back side of the rear window, still need to find a clean way to clamp it to the rops

Thanks much for the links to the parts. This looks to be a cool setup. Can you post some pics when you can please?

TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
Upgr8 Universal Outside Diameter... Amazon.com: Upgr8 Universal Outside Diameter Polished Aluminum Pipe (3.0"(76MM), 360 Degree): Automotive

Something like a light bar mount would be perfect for attaching to the cage. Just need to find something aesthetically pleasing to attach the intake pipe to it...

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks much for the links to the parts. This looks to be a cool setup. Can you post some pics when you can please?

5184c06a982c4ea3fc9a1b18656ba219
This is the best I can do for now, I just dropped it off at the dealership for some warranty work

Reactions: TerryH
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Something like a light bar mount would be perfect for attaching to the cage. Just need to find something aesthetically pleasing to attach the intake pipe to it...

fwiw: I bought something similar and found they didn't fit the 2" bar, the end 'spline' was too tall and pinched down on the 2" ROPS. A quick hit with a flap wheel fixed the problem.

A follow up on my noise concerns - I finally got the Talon out for its first ride and the gear whine is bad enough that I'll be wearing the same foam earplugs I wore on the motorcycle to protect my hearing long term. Intake noise was irrelevant compared to the gear whine.

I x9ttJv7 M

Last edited:
Reactions: TerryH
Mountain-Man

Mountain-Man

Dec 22, 2019
Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon X
Is that the Honda Talons S&B or did you modify one from a different model?

If it's the Honda version, can you post a pic of where the hose comes thru the body/vent panel by the rear window?
I finally got my Talon back from the dealer. Here is the pic of the panel you asked about.
20200427 175212
20200427 175138

Reactions: TripleB and 906UP
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
R2C Talon Air Filter Kit here

IMG 6070

I'm a supporting vendor and have sold a TON of these filters since they have come out. Have one on my own Talon, and all my previous machines. These work great because they are dry filters, cleanable and great filters.

Coupon code available for forum members to save you a few bucks. Send me a conversation for the code.
IMG 2140

Last edited:
Reactions: stellarpod and CID
Z

Zuess

Jan 8, 2019
Illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X
OK, I am going to order one of these R2C filters and see how it works before I do all the other snorkeling. Somebody chime in if they have a different opinion, I don’t really want to cut any holes yet and I’m not sure if I need a particle separator. We mostly head out to West Virginia or Tennessee and ride the trails out that way.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
These are high quality filters with exceptional filtering properties. I'm not selling K&N, even though they are very well known, because I have witnessed many engine failures while using these in extremely dirty air. They work only if you stay on top of oiling them correctly.

Uni filters worked well on ATVs back in the day. No problems with those. One thing to consider with oiled filters also is the fact that some oil does get sucked into the engine. On carburetor ATVs that was not a problem but on EFI machines, the oil tends to coat and mess up the Mass Air Sensor, which requires cleaning. (Learned this with RZR 800)

R2C filters use a synthetic dry media so you can just shake most large particles off and put back on machine. Also, you have to consider that the natural vibrations from the engine running will shake loose some accumulated dirt from the air filter. I've had great success using R2C filters so that's why I chose to start selling them. They worked well on my old RZR 800 and it had a terrible intake system.

The R2C filter will keep dust out of the engine but not out of the air box due to the location of the air box inlet, in a slightly negative air pressure location where dust flows to. Particle separator will help the air box and the filter will help the engine.

I also sell Desertcraft air filters from California. They use the same or similar synthetic filter media as R2C but do not currently offer any Honda filters.

Reactions: CID and stellarpod
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I finally got over 1000 miles on my Talon, all of them using Hondabob's snorkel idea. Even though I've been solo, the Uni got FILTHY. 😳 However, the Honda filter remained spotless. Thanks Bob. 👍

A couple more photos here:

Yesterday, at 1137 miles -

The Uni at 1066 miles - :eek:

Last edited:
F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have been putting hours on my R2C riding the dusty gravel roads where I live. This filter works great to this point. I keep a watchful eye on the intake tubes for any evidence of dust getting past the filter, so far it is good. I plugged up all the open area above the rear wheel and upper shock mount bracket so now most of the intake air comes thru the opening on the side, best I can determine that helped very much.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have been putting hours on my R2C riding the dusty gravel roads where I live. This filter works great to this point. I keep a watchful eye on the intake tubes for any evidence of dust getting past the filter, so far it is good. I plugged up all the open area above the rear wheel and upper shock mount bracket so now most of the intake air comes thru the opening on the side, best I can determine that helped very much.
Next time you have the filter out for a check up, we'd sure like to see a couple of photos of its condition. I wonder, since it hangs about 45* downward, if it shakes enough to kinda self clean? The mileage when photo'd would be important info to include.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
My under roof Uni pre filter went 10,000 miles and it would still hit the rev limiter with 30’s at 3,000 feet elevation. That is 78 mph. My stock filter will be good for at least 30,000 miles or 10 years. Check out my pictures at 10,000 miles. I will be using the pre oiled air filter I installed on T-Bob’s Talon and just replace it every 10,000 miles. It cost’s less then $35.00.

20200210 114701 resized
20200210 115926 resized
20200514 153211 resized
20200514 161711 resized

HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
I just got my production model KWT X2 pre-filter, so time to look at how the pre-production model has performed. Here it is with 1400 miles on the filter.

• Wow
D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
I was kind of surprised at the amount of dust on your filter and in the filter box in such a short time or mileage.
Seems from what I have seen in other post and of course where they ride. That they where showing better results.

I have the S&B and run a RC2 filter and run the same terrain as you here in Yuma. A picture of mine will not show much because of the way the RC2 is made.
I checked mine during my 1000 mile oil change and had very little noticeable dust in the air box and when I blew out the RC2 almost nothing blew from cleaning it with air, and the pleats where still white and new looking.
I wonder if location could have a effect on yours since it is not facing into the air stream to help separate the particulates out. And do you run a rear window, which could trap more dust in that location.
You did not seam to have a great amount of dust in your clean out tray.
My S&B is self cleaning, so can't say what was extracted.
I have been watching the posts on KWT & S&B to see which one I would recommend to others.
More time and post will give more insight....DRK

HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
I was kind of surprised at the amount of dust on your filter and in the filter box in such a short time or mileage.
Seems from what I have seen in other post and of course where they ride. That they where showing better results.

I have the S&B and run a RC2 filter and run the same terrain as you here in Yuma. A picture of mine will not show much because of the way the RC2 is made.
I checked mine during my 1000 mile oil change and had very little noticeable dust in the air box and when I blew out the RC2 almost nothing blew from cleaning it with air, and the pleats where still white and new looking.
I wonder if location could have a effect on yours since it is not facing into the air stream to help separate the particulates out. And do you run a rear window, which could trap more dust in that location.
I have been watching the posts on KWT & S&B to see which one I would recommend to others.
I don't know that 1400 miles on a filter is short😝. Yeah, the mount location gets far more dust than if I mounted it up on the roof area where many S&B's are mounted. Using the RC2 definitely would take a huge amount of fine dust out, but in my mind, that's defeating the purpose of the pre-filter. The RC2 could cause a restriction depending on how dusty it gets and it's a major hassle to open up the plenum, remove the filter, inspect and reseal. My goal is to keep the air filter from becoming clogged and having to replace it every 100-500 miles or so, depending on the ride. If I can get 2000 miles on a filter that would be great. Maybe replace it one a year. We will see how it goes. While there was dust on the tops of the filter paper, the vertical surfaces were not coated. I would have just left the filter on and kept using it, if I didn't need to start a new filter to test the production model.

The KWT X2 I was using was preproduction. It was a 3D printed test article. So the interior surfaces are not as smooth as the production model is. We will see how the production model compares, but Ken at KWT did make some additional changes to the production design and mentioned the internal surfaces were far smoother than the test article because of the manufacturing process.

Oh, on the dirt collection chamber, I had dumped it out at the 680 mile review. So that is only 700 miles worth.

Last edited:
Reactions: DRKnight
HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R

Sorry I confused the RC2 with the uni filter people put on the inlet to the plenum. How is the RC2 filter working? Do you find any misting in the plenum or intakes? I am nervous about washable filters after K&N failures with RZRs.

Reactions: Montecresto

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!