Air filter inspection camera

A

adudes

Supporting Member
Jul 23, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
If you have an inspection camera to check the condition of the OEM air filter without having to remove it, what are you using? I bought the Harbor Freight camera and immediately returned it. Thanks.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Don't expect too much from a tiny camera.

I own 2 cameras. One is an old Milwaukee with a built in screen. Great for it's time but somewhat limited with the tiny screen. Probably cost me a fortune when I bought it 20 years ago but I don't remember how much.

The other is a USB Chinese Amazon unit I purchased to look through the tiny spark plug holes. Bought it as a use and toss expecting it to be a POS but it turned out to be way better than my Milwaukee so I kept it. So far it has served me well...

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
Google ''filter minder'' Install it on the air box cover, It will indicate when you have some restriction and then you do your filter maintenance. You can install it in a few minutes and you are good to go. If you want to get fancy you can purchase a style that has a gauge on your dash and impress your friends with that.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Google ''filter minder'' Install it on the air box cover, It will indicate when you have some restriction and then you do your filter maintenance. You can install it in a few minutes and you are good to go. If you want to get fancy you can purchase a style that has a gauge on your dash and impress your friends with that.
I tried 2 of those. Both failed in a short time. Not sure why but they wouldn't trigger and I could suck air through the diaphragm.

I don't trust them.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Add a 10-80 Dirt Sports pre-filter kit next time you change the stock filter and you will never have to open the airbox again.

A

adudes

Supporting Member
Jul 23, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
Why dont u want to remove it?
its easy to do.

BTW that HF camera is a POCS
Not that its hard, just a pain. 10 clips and 8 bolts just to check the filter, plus possibly disturbing the seal. A good camera would make it a lot easier.

Reactions: Remington and CID
A

adudes

Supporting Member
Jul 23, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
They are easy to check, however I'd highly suggest a particle separator! I use a KWT and couldn't be happier!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
I have a BVC pre-filter and love it. Just would like to peek at the stock filter without removing it.

A

adudes

Supporting Member
Jul 23, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
Don't expect too much from a tiny camera.

I own 2 cameras. One is an old Milwaukee with a built in screen. Great for it's time but somewhat limited with the tiny screen. Probably cost me a fortune when I bought it 20 years ago but I don't remember how much.

The other is a USB Chinese Amazon unit I purchased to look through the tiny spark plug holes. Bought it as a use and toss expecting it to be a POS but it turned out to be way better than my Milwaukee so I kept it. So far it has served me well...

Thank you. I will try it out.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Not that its hard, just a pain. 10 clips and 8 bolts just to check the filter, plus possibly disturbing the seal. A good camera would make it a lot easier.
Fair enough!

Reactions: CID
B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have a camera and gets good picture, but I am not coordinated enough to get it to turn in the inlet hose. I will pull hose at the box and try again. Got recall notice so will open up and inspect (take picture for dealer 150 miles away) so can put that to bed. I know it is tight, but can't guarantee the thread mangle is done. I am anal on greasing the o-rings & seals to be sure doesn't leak and I am sure the dealer will slam, bam, thank you ma'am the cover if i haul it there. LOL

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!