highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Man, I missed a lot of discussion this weekend!

I'm going to throw my 2 cents into the arena to defend my pre-filter kit.

1. The BVC is a great idea and I like it. The problem is that if you don't relocate the spot where the intake captures air from OUTSIDE of the fender area, you're still grabbing very dirty air.

2. The UNI idea running backwards is a bad idea. They weren't designed for that. Sure, your primary filter will stay clean but your creating a huge restriction on the intake when the UNI gets dirty.

3. My first design attempt was to avoid cutting any holes in the Honda plastic. The first intake route was through the side grate. That idea created a very complex tube with many bends plus required offering a replacement grate (because the OEM would have to be cut). With all those pieces of the puzzle the cost would have been higher than what I wanted. So I bit the bullet and cut a hole in my own fender to figure this out! I didn't want to cut a hole either but the result was a tube routing that's much shorter, simpler and easier to produce and the pre-fiter takes seconds to change. With my tube you can run whatever 3" filter you want to. I use Desertcraft because it's washable and doesn't increase restriction as proven on a dyno. Many discussions with Desertcraft led to this filter choice. No one I talked to was in favor of adding the restriction of a second primary filter. Just a side note, this Desertcraft filter with only one layer of filter media is equivalent to a K&N filter according to filtration test results by Desertcraft. The Desertcraft primary filters have three layers of syntheic, washable media. The Desertcraft is also a dry media so in the field you can shake the dirt off if needed and continue on.

While designing this intake kit, I realized that not everyone was interested in cutting a hole in brand new plastic. The idea behind the cover plate served two functions. One was to provide support to the tube, the second was to make the kit not look like a scabbed on after thought. Second, I was after a clean look that wasn't so noticeable and have matched as close as possible the OEM Honda colors. Also this plate would cover a severely mangled hole cut! I supply a template with the kit so the hole location is a no brainer.

I spent a lot of time designing this tube starting from the point where I thought was best to penetrate the fender and only cut ONE piece of plastic and working backwards toward the air box. This is not a simple 90 bend! There is a rolling offset that required me building jigs for fabrication to get this right every time.

There are endless opinions out there with limited solutions for these Talons. Run what you want to. I designed this kit and it works according to the 120+/- people that have purchased the kits to date, not even counting tube only purchases.

Particle separators are nice, but insanely bulky. And you have to realize these devices work on air velocity. If you're putt putting around a lot they will not be as effective. They HAVE to design these for max RPM and air flow to not create a restriction.

As for noise, I can't do much for that. Talon's aren't the quietest machines anyway. Surprising that the Polaris ACE 900 that both my daughters ride is MUCH quieter than Talon and your sitting RIGHT in front of the engine!

If you're interested in a dirty air solution, I'll be glad to help you out.

10-80dirtsports.com

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I'd like to add to this that in the near future I am hoping to have a kit that will work for the Kraftwerks turbo it. If this is successful, there is a race team that may end up running this on their race car too. Nothing concrete yet but it's promising and in the works.

Nothing I can do for Jackson turbo due to their air filter system.

J

jackw13

Oct 28, 2020
peoria , az
Ownership

1. Talon R
I bought my 2020 R in oct of 2020. I went with the KWI filter , and have been very happy. Still had to cut the 3" hole in fender , and was able to mount just below the roof , not too loud in my opinion . If the 10-80 kit was offered when I first got my machine I would have gone in that direction . The KWI does allow dirt to enter , but at a much reduced rate . I rode on the AZ trails with as many as 10 other dust makers . Stock filter would last 1500 to 2000 miles . It is a dryer vent hose which I didn't like , but as I was a dirt bike and motorcross rider I cleaned and inspected my filter often.

On a different concern I have moved to Senoia , Ga. and am trying to find places to ride . Any sugguestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

G

Georgiaboy

Aug 11, 2022
Georgia
Ownership

1. Talon X4

1. The BVC is a great idea and I like it. The problem is that if you don't relocate the spot where the intake captures air from OUTSIDE of the fender area, you're still grabbing very dirty air.

2. The UNI idea running backwards is a bad idea. They weren't designed for that. Sure, your primary filter will stay clean but your creating a huge restriction on the intake when the UNI gets dirty.

3. My first design attempt was to avoid cutting any holes in the Honda plastic. The first intake route was through the side grate. That idea created a very complex tube with many bends plus required offering a replacement grate (because the OEM would have to be cut). With all those pieces of the puzzle the cost would have been higher than what I wanted. So I bit the bullet and cut a hole in my own fender to figure this out! I didn't want to cut a hole either but the result was a tube routing that's much shorter, simpler and easier to produce and the pre-fiter takes seconds to change. With my tube you can run whatever 3" filter you want to. I use Desertcraft because it's washable and doesn't increase restriction as proven on a dyno. Many discussions with Desertcraft led to this filter choice. No one I talked to was in favor of adding the restriction of a second primary filter. Just a side note, this Desertcraft filter with only one layer of filter media is equivalent to a K&N filter according to filtration test results by Desertcraft. The Desertcraft primary filters have three layers of syntheic, washable media. The Desertcraft is also a dry media so in the field you can shake the dirt off if needed and continue on.

While designing this intake kit, I realized that not everyone was interested in cutting a hole in brand new plastic. The idea behind the cover plate served two functions. One was to provide support to the tube, the second was to make the kit not look like a scabbed on after thought. Second, I was after a clean look that wasn't so noticeable and have matched as close as possible the OEM Honda colors. Also this plate would cover a severely mangled hole cut! I supply a template with the kit so the hole location is a no brainer.

I spent a lot of time designing this tube starting from the point where I thought was best to penetrate the fender and only cut ONE piece of plastic and working backwards toward the air box. This is not a simple 90 bend! There is a rolling offset that required me building jigs for fabrication to get this right every time.

There are endless opinions out there with limited solutions for these Talons. Run what you want to. I designed this kit and it works according to the 120+/- people that have purchased the kits to date, not even counting tube only purchases.

Particle separators are nice, but insanely bulky. And you have to realize these devices work on air velocity. If you're putt putting around a lot they will not be as effective. They HAVE to design these for max RPM and air flow to not create a restriction.

As for noise, I can't do much for that. Talon's aren't the quietest machines anyway. Surprising that the Polaris ACE 900 that both my daughters ride is MUCH quieter than Talon and your sitting RIGHT in front of the engine!

10-80dirtsports.com
You are right after I watched video again on BVC filter, it will still be down there in dirt and dust pathway, yours will fit a x-4??

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

10-80dirtsports.com
What's your opinion about the Walmart rain jackets?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Man I opened up a can of worms on this post🤣, gonna get into suspension next post, boy I can't imagine what gonna happen there
twak.gif
giggle.gif

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I can attest to the fact that it does indeed fit a 1000-x4
Thanks Scott. You were my guinea pig for the X4 fit!!

And I told you at that time that if it didn't fit, I'd make you one that would fit. I'm glad it fit because long distance measuring gets complicated! Thanks for having faith in me that it would fit!

Iowamike

Iowamike

May 31, 2020
Dubuque Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon X
I run my UNI in the air box backwards, BUT I don't ride in much dust and I change it every 200 miles. I keep one on the machine ,one in the load out box and one in the trailer. That being said I still have plans on getting it out of the dust and up into the clean air. And this is also a total PITA. My trips are usually only about 600 miles in a 4 day period. Just do it the right way and be done with it. Get that sucker up in the clean air.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Pulling the main air filter to clean a Uni thats under it is dumb. All it takes is one time for the airbox seal to not be seated correctly and the motor is toast. With the 10-80 Dirt Sports air intake you never have to open the airbox.

Last edited:
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Man I opened up a can of worms on this post🤣, gonna get into suspension next post, boy I can't imagine what gonna happen there

As long as you use a reputable shock tuner like G Force Racing or Double E Racing most here won't give you any s***. Send them to Shock Therapy or another one size fits all tuner and you will not hear the end of it..... 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Smittyp
J

jackw13

Oct 28, 2020
peoria , az
Ownership

1. Talon R
Shock Therapy did my R . It worked well . A friend had his R done by Weller. We felt my machine handled the trails better, fast corners and jumps . Over rocks and wash boards they were the same . Both are 2020 machines, but mine is green. His is red .

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!