Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Hilarious.

Awesome zinger to talk about airflow and proper design then use expandable hoses with corrugated sides. 😂😂😂

The irony is dripping........

(Even if you don’t know it)

TIME TO SCHOOL....

Evidently one of those folks that think if you don't spend hundreds of dollars on a set-up its no good....

Length of run and minimized curves. Your XRAY vision is off since you can no longer see through the plastic at a now more straight airflow.

Stop being a troll dude...you are confusing AIRFLOW with AIR RESISTANCE

TIME TO SCHOOL...last time for free...😂😂😂

Corrugated hose compared to plugged up filter every 200 miles...hmm...see? Strike one for you...

If you were running an 800 HP 502 at the drags you would want smooth flow, just like porting and polishing heads...on a 1000cc mc/sxs NON-MODIFIED engine those ribs aren't doing diddly..

Vacuum gauge through the RPM range shows absolutely NO resistance at neither the beginning nor end of ride so airflow is spot on. If you haven't taken any vacuum readings then you don't know how restrictive things get. No one is checking half way through a dusty ride.
I AM a professional auto and diesel tech as well as heavy equipment mechanic so I just MAY know something about this stuff.

STRIKE 2 for you...

Apparently not NE stripping runner...I did a lot of prep and designs to make this happen and to make sure it worked right the FIRST time..which it did.. And just maybe some others out there like it and would like to do it on their own. Ans all u can do is TRY and find fault...

One size doe NOT fit all....but if it builds your self esteem up by finding fault in others to make you feel more of a man, and i use that term VERY loosly, then Ill pray for you... STRIKE 3...you are OUTTA HERE!
So to keep this from becoming a 'thing" , you did your thing, I did mine, so move on...

Hasn't run this good even when good...turns my 32s like nothing.

Tried and true...super dusty Saturday and pouring rain all day Monday...213 miles and works perfect.

Ill go 1000 miles before ever needing to open that factory box again...and that is just to check.
Massive K&N with screen will do all the work and MY setup eliminates water entry though the intake...my factory one DID NOT...it still sucked snow and water mist in converting the dust to mud.

I get aesthetics...I really do...but for me Im all about function AND looks. Got a ton of compliments on how it looked and the box was a quickie build for the upcoming ride...the only body cutting was the small black vent that is easily replaced. I may just leave it the way it is. Looking good means nothing if you are trashing an engine in the process. My Popo joke was always " at least you look good when you're sitting broke down". 😂
The UNI is great alternative...and I ALMOST ran it...BUT you still have to disassemble the air box and filter....I can just take a quick peak and easily remove for cleaning. If I had that UNI on mine Saturday it would've been plugged up, guaranteed...Once it loads up on ya and kills those $30n a piece spark plugs like mine did with the factory filter plugged up with 300 miles it tends to make you rethink other designs. ..buddy just put a new filter in Friday night, Mav X3 Turbo RR...Running rough Sunday so he pulled it and it was shot...it was THAT bad...
Sir, you’re quite cantankerous and insulting. Especially coming in as a brand new member talking smack. You have an opinion as valued as anyone else's, but a little courtesy and respect would go a long way...😊

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Well @IDIOT
I’m expecting at least 500 miles (which is on average 6 months for my riding) out of mine before opening it up to inspect and clean it. So, while you make it sound like it’s a big PITA, for me it won’t be....That area never gets cleaned when power washing after rides so it affords an opportunity for that as well...

But more importantly, I don’t think that the snorkeled route is worthy of any criticism, nor do I believe that the route I went is superior to anyone else’s. But it’s inexpensive, is keeping dust and moisture out of my machine, and I’m pleased with it...🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Iowamike
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I did the same , only barely tighting the unifilter clamp. I could still pull it off , but it was snug. Ater much rough riding it never fell off .
Mine was still secure after 450 miles and I just went snug as well....👍

M

mikenamys

Apr 9, 2021
PENNSYLVANIA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Some people( at least one db comes to mind) are confusing AIR FLOW with AIR RESISTANCE.
Make your 90 degree to 45 degrees or less at the box. The straighter the better With the new bend so close to the entry point (external filter) the bend there will have very little, if any, effect. For a 1000cc engine, a 3" intake over such a short run is more than big enough to worry about materials. You could still get away with 2.5 inch, but never go smaller than factory as a rule of thumb. The sharp bends is what you need to eliminate.
I prefer a relatively massive K&N filter with the screen for this. My box is open both at the bottom and end with a smidge of filter showing. The screen keeps water spray/snow out so you can have the full effect of the filter with no water entry...something the UNI in the box may not stop.
Your factory roof plays a huge role in this too...those vents in the rear direct air downward to help with dust swirling up from behind. When enclosed with a windshield and back window, it is really important to keep this effect. Aftermarket roofs remove this effect so keep the air intake towards the side of the vehicle, not inside the bed area if ypu want to keep the cleaning down to a minimum.(Open machine then any location towards the front of the bed area is fine)
We get serious dust on strip mine cuts as well as coal dust which makes regular dust look appealing. If bad conditions or multi-day trips are in order and the dust starts overtaking the filter, with K&N you simply remove, take off screen, wash in a creek, dry with a towel, reinstall and ready to go.
I have appx. $200 in building everything but will never have to buy another filter again so it will pay for itself easily.
Where you ride dictates the amount of filtering you want...the internal UNI simply will not hold up to a days riding up here. Coal dust is hell!

If I don't know something I have no problem admitting it..but when im 100 percent on the know...well..
I did the math... .212.051 cu.in of non-mobile air volume..@4500 RPM it requires 64 CFM...easily handled with a 2.5 inch pipe, ID.... Expandable hoses with corrugated sides on a run less than 30 inches hurts NOTHING nor restricts any airflow...true mechanics only need to see that "hat" to know there is a lot less resistance without the in-up and over flow required by the factory set up. Not everyone has master ASE certs...which is why I came here. I'd hate to see someone miss out on an awesome setup because of misinformation.

Last edited:
M

mikenamys

Apr 9, 2021
PENNSYLVANIA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Done replying AND reading this thread...so go ahead and reply knowing its falling on deaf ears...

Peace...out:)

Last edited:
mirage100

mirage100

Lifetime Member
Apr 17, 2021
Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Is there a thread on air filters with pictures? Should be getting my Talon soon and what to up grade the filter but not sure which way to go.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Is there a thread on air filters with pictures? Should be getting my Talon soon and what to up grade the filter but not sure which way to go.
Welcome here. Yes, there’s quite a few of them throughout the Talon forum. Do a search...👍

mirage100

mirage100

Lifetime Member
Apr 17, 2021
Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Guess I should have said that I will be running the Jackson turbo..Maybe the turbo kit comes with a good filter.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Guess I should have said that I will be running the Jackson turbo..Maybe the turbo kit comes with a good filter.
The stock Honda filter is a great filter and the filter is not an issue. The issue is where the inlet is located under the RR fender. It sucks up way too much dust and plugs the stock filter up FAST. The solution is to snorkel it so the inlet is higher and up out of the dust stream AND filter it to make the stock filter last longer. Some have gotten 15,000+ miles out of a stock filter by using a snorkel (just follow @hondabob)

The Jackson Turbo filter is some K&N garbage AND the filter inlet is located in the same area as stock so not only will it get dirty fast, it will not protect the engine as good as the stock filter. To date, I have not seen anyone snorkel the Turbo/K&N filter but @MDFMac replaced his with a Donaldson (much better quality filter than K&N) and storkeled it so the inlet is high and up out of the dust...

Reactions: CID
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Oh yeah, that will be different. Not sure there are pics of that here...

mirage100

mirage100

Lifetime Member
Apr 17, 2021
Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Thank you for this info. I will start a thread about this . I don't want to mess up someone else's thread.

Reactions: Montecresto

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!