Uni filter

G

Georgiaboy

Aug 11, 2022
Georgia
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Wondering for people running the prefilter uni filter, how often are you cleaning the uni filter

Reactions: Squeegee
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Wondering for people running the prefilter uni filter, how often are you cleaning the uni filter
One of the cool parts about it is , you can look at it anytime . When mine isn't looking nice and red , I switch it with a clean one . It takes way under a minute to do . Just keep your extra one clean .

G

Georgiaboy

Aug 11, 2022
Georgia
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Didn't know that, saw several videos of people in Arizona where dust was created😂, they running them behind the air filters and getting 1500 miles outta there air filters, but they don't say how many times the washing the uni filter

Smittyp

Smittyp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 3, 2020
Morgan co. Tennessee
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R LV
I run the uni in my talon in the air box for 2000 miles in East Tennessee. I would clean it about every 200 miles in the summer less in the winter. I’ve got 10-80’s filter relocate now. (4000 miles on original filter)

G

Georgiaboy

Aug 11, 2022
Georgia
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I run the uni in my talon in the air box for 2000 miles in East Tennessee. I would clean it about every 200 miles in the summer less in the winter. I’ve got 10-80’s filter relocate now. (4000 miles on original filter)
What is 10-80s relocate kit? Thanks for reply

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Didn't know that, saw several videos of people in Arizona where dust was created😂, they running them behind the air filters and getting 1500 miles outta there air filters, but they don't say how many times the washing the uni filter
Yes,
They should get actually get 10,000 miles out of the OEM filter in this configuration as long as they are washing it out every 200 miles.
WHY? BECAUSE... The UNI is a primary filter. It's designed as such to be.
Its not a "pre filter" of any type. they are using a common primary filter and calling it a "pre-filter".
Adding it and being "surprised" that any downstream filters are still clean is foolish.
It's like wearing a Walmart rain jacket under your Gortex one and then bragging about how well the Walmart one kept you dry.

Then, consider how small of a surface area the UNI is compared to the 10ft+ surface area of the OEM.
Those claiming its not "restrictive" are full of it.
You cant tell me a smaller filter is somehow magically equal or less restrictive to a 10x larger one.

Not to mention, you're running it backward.
Your filtering fine particles before coarse.
Call UNI and ask them what they think about running a filter in reverse. (actually I need to do this)

Ya, there are utubes all over claiming how "great" they work to "save the OEM filter".
And as said, anyone surprised by that is a fool.

Not saying you can't do it, it's America you can do what you want.
Good luck.

* disclaimer. I am in no way an air box/air flow expert. This is just my comment since thinking above.

Last edited:
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
What is 10-80s relocate kit? Thanks for reply
It's a 3" hole in your brand new machine. :p When you get over that, and you will, it's a great solution to one of Honda's biggest engineering mistakes on the Talon.

IMO, the problem with 10-80's kit is that is eliminates the goofy air intake chamber thingie. I don't know if that thing is for tuning or noise control, either way, I don't want to remove it. That's why I copied Hondabob's snorkel idea (linked in my sig including a parts list along with other basic Talon information).

10-80's snorkel and prefilter thread -

H

HondaTech

Yes,
They should get actually get 10,000 miles out of the OEM filter in this configuration as long as they are washing it out every 200 miles.
Its not a "pre filter" of any type. they are using a common primary filter and calling it a "pre-filter".
Adding it and being "surprised" that any downstream filters are still clean is foolish.
It's like wearing a Walmart rain jacket under your Gortex one and then bragging about how well the Walmart one kept you dry.

Then, consider how small of a surface area the UNI is compared to the 10ft+ surface area of the OEM.
You cant tell me a smaller filter is somehow magically equal or less restrictive to a 10x larger one.

Call UNI and ask them what they think about running a filter in reverse. (actually I need to do this)

Ya, there are utubes all over claiming how "great" they work to "save the OEM filter".

Good luck.

You know what I thought was weird at the Iowa race we went to?

The Dr. Powersports car was running an airbox no bigger then a Pioneer 500 with a Donaldson filter. I thought no way that thing flows enough air for their turbo compared to the massive filter the Jackson kit comes with.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
You know what I thought was weird at the Iowa race we went to?

The Dr. Powersports car was running an airbox no bigger then a Pioneer 500 with a Donaldson filter. I thought no way that thing flows enough air for their turbo compared to the massive filter the Jackson kit comes with.
Was it a canister filter?
I do know airbox size and ambient spaces are very important for proper throttle response.

G

Georgiaboy

Aug 11, 2022
Georgia
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Yes,

Good luck.

* disclaimer. I am in no way an air box/air flow expert. This is just my comment since thinking above.
No need to get rude, you can't learn if you don't ask questions, if I would have known Honda had all these issues, I would have stuck with can-am

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yes,

Good luck.

Amen!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
No need to get rude, you can't learn if you don't ask questions, if I would have known Honda had all these issues, I would have stuck with can-am
I apologize.
I am a firm believer that this is a very bad modification. I hurts to see all the raving feedback over how well the primary is "still clean". You never see anyone concerned the UNI is all clogged up on the inside. Their reply is only "it's washable".

I'll find a few examples I have found.
1 guy had cotten weeds and grass caught inside the little UNI cup.
Another guy who rode 10 days in Moab looked like a clay wall inside. Had he made a trip into some fog it would have turned to clay.

Blownzuki

Blownzuki

Truth detector of the NTC.
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2020
Northern Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I apologize.
I am a firm believer that this is a very bad modification. I hurts to see all the raving feedback over how well the primary is "still clean". You never see anyone concerned the UNI is all clogged up on the inside. Their reply is only "it's washable".

I'll find a few examples I have found.
1 guy had cotten weeds and grass caught inside the little UNI cup.
Another guy who rode 10 days in Moab looked like a clay wall inside. Had he made a trip into some fog it would have turned to clay.
I just looked at the 10-80 kit. I will be purchasing.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!