PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
@PaulF .. Thanks for the taking the time for such a detailed response Clever to use a latching relay set-up. Easy for me to do as I have added a waterproof relay fuse box and have extra relays.

Where did you tap the "Start" signal ?
I tapped in at the fuse box because that is where my S&B relay ended up. There are a few places you could tap...

Fuse Box area. White/Black is already fused so that is where I tapped. Solder and marine heatshrink required here...

Up front, you can use the wire right out of the ignition switch. It is Yellow/Red at the switch and turns solid Gray after the plug. You may want to add a small 3 amp inline fuse if using this location. If you can find the right plugs, you can make a plug and play pigtail and do it here without cutting, otherwise it is solder and heatshrink here too...

You could also go into the battery box and grab it at the starter solenoid. Again, fuse and you need the right plugs or solder and heatshrink...

Reactions: Moab_Marty and CID
GreenTX1000R

GreenTX1000R

May 10, 2020
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Question new owner here how often should I check the oem filter as I have 28 mi on mine and want to start getting a routine for maintenance.

Moab_Marty

Moab_Marty

Jul 12, 2019
Moab + Western CO
Ownership

1. Talon R
Question new owner here how often should I check the oem filter .........

Welcome to the club. Filter inspection and replacement depends mostly on the driving conditions... My dealer checked mine at initial 100 mile /20 Hr.service... Dealer said they change it automatically on that !st service... Never got a chance to see the initial filter which I was not happy about. Owners manual maintenance schedule says replace every 600mi. Hower driving conditions will dictate actual need. In dusty conditions 200 to 300 mi, based on feedback seen in various Talon forums. My experience confirmed that. This is why I went to a particle separator right away.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
My added snorkel prefilter at about 400 miles (thanks Honda Bob), riding solo. New, it was a bright red (photo on the previous page), so I'm really glad I got this one mod done before my first mile. You can see that I overoiled it 'a bit' as the oil seeped down the tube and across toward the left but it's open cell foam so the excess oil can drain out of the filter - although messy, the oil makes the filter work, so I'm ok with the results - better than underoiled IMO. Clean intake air is the single most important objective for an off road engine's life, again IMO. Note that the discoloration (dirt) isn't bridging the pores, this filter's flow capacity is still completely open, functional and nowhere near needing to be cleaned.

About 400 miles -
I xZLfgG2 XL

ETA: At 1066 miles the Uni was filthy (all solo) but still flowing well. Now that I have a data point, I'll probably clean it at 1000 miles (or thereabouts) in the future.

Still clean as new at 1066 miles -

Last edited:
Reactions: IDIOT
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Guys,
Interesting thread! Currently I’m working on a solution for this air intake problem. I think I have most of the details worked out but still want to do more real world testing. Next Saturday we have planned a ride for dusty trails near home to compare factory intake against mine. I will intentionally ride in the back of the pack for the most dust. Really hoping for good results next week. This won’t be super scientific but should have visible results. I’m not sure how to get scientific results!! Anything is better than stock! I’ll keep everyone here posted.

Reactions: CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Great discussion and thanks to you guys for the background info on filters. I installed the S&B a month ago and am waiting to see how it works for me.

My thoughts are that a pre=filter installed Inside the airbox adds some potential issues.
How do you know that the pre-filter is dirty without opening up fairly often.? Doing so adds the risk of inadvertently leaving a leak in the gasket if not seated perfectly. Why does Honda OEM Filter come with both gasket "o-rings" with each new filter? Is it because of the potential for a less than perfect seal by re-using one that has only 30 to 500 miles on it ? I see it like replacing the crush washer on the drain plugs each time we do an oil change

Below is a photo of my filter with 750 miles of Utah Canyonlands riding before S&B added. I am usually by my self or the leader so I assume this is all self inflicted /generated dust. I will give the S&B 1000 miles and check the filter and inspect for dust on the "clean" side. We have all read the experience of others with engine damage due to only a small amount of dust getting through.

I see it as one of several design flaws on an otherwise great machine. As I am new to the SxS world, still preferring my Quads and Mountain Bike, I'm finding this is a very expensive sport. But I still love my Talon.

View attachment 206823 View attachment 206824 View attachment 206825
Ok, you should have a 1000 miles by now, what's the verdict? 🤔 Pics?

obtw: I hate that you live in Moab and I don't. 😭 Although I can escape to 12k foot altitudes easier than you on these 100* days. :cool: We can't plate our SxSs here either, dammit. :(

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Obviously I want this to be a profitable part of my business but I also want to provide a solution to the problem at a reasonable cost.
There's definitely a market for a reasonably priced solution and the first man in will win that market.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!