CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That's a great idea!
Well if you got plenty of time, which I have, it's worth it. But as you well know if you were paying someone hourly to do it the ready to runs are the best for the money. I am looking for a set of tow mirrors for it just to piss off the Ford and Chevy guys!

Peter_72

Peter_72

Supporting Member
May 31, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
Yes sir, I am no expert but you paint the underside so the paint is protected from bumps and scrapes. You also have to cut and trim for desired fit.

Ask you local hobby shop or google for liquid mask. Get the one that you apply with a small paint brush. YouTube how to use it. That’s what I used to use to do multiple colors on bodies....including the grey and black trim on that Ram body.

Also make sure you use paint for lexan bodies so it will flex without cracking and flaking off. The Tamiya paint is pretty good for rattle can use

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ask you local hobby shop or google for liquid mask. Get the one that you apply with a small paint brush. YouTube how to use it. That’s what I used to use to do multiple colors on bodies....including the grey and black trim on that Ram body.

Also make sure you use paint for lexan bodies so it will flex without cracking and flaking off
Thanks for the advice.That will be very helpful. When I go to bed at night I run through my head how I am going to do the red stripes, I know they have to be done first!

Peter_72

Peter_72

Supporting Member
May 31, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
Yes, any stripes or designs get sprayed first. Painting the inside means doing the paint steps backwards. The paint runs very easy on those bodies and a mistake is almost impossible to fix, clean clean clean and take your time

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
@Adam490 I will need recommendations on motor,esc,servo,battery etc. when you have time.
Still waiting on the damn battery from USPS, but I hooked up an old 2s lipo from my SCX to try out this new Hobbywing setup that came in today. I really like it so far. It was $150, the esc is integrated into the motor can. Saves you some space and less wires to run. Best drag brake I've used on a crawler.

PXL 20210102 220045873
PXL 20210102 224643396
PXL 20210103 035438935

As far as batteries go, I have run the high dollar lipo batteries (SMC, MaxAmps, etc) and honestly couldn't tell the difference between them and the $25 Amazon packs. The more expensive cells probably retain a little more punch over their life span (low internal resistance equals better acceleration) but for a rock crawler you don't need that.

Servo is usually a buy once, cry once type of deal and you get what you pay for. I'm still using the Futaba servos I got 6-7 years ago. You don't need .02 speed on a crawler, but you do want high torque so you can push the wheels if they get in a bind. I'll look around and get some links for batteries and servos tomorrow or Monday.

advertisement
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Do have some stupid questions, controller and radio the same thing? Will the 3S run longer or just faster than the 2S crawling? Do I need to up grade my STX2 controller for Rock Crawling, seems to eat batteries, batteries lasted six duty cycles on the RC Crawler?
The "s" in the battery description refers to how many cells are in series. So a 2s is 2 3.7v cells in series and 3s is 3 3.7v cells in series. More voltage equals more power and less run time. If you want a lot of run time, you can get a 2s1p or 2s2p setup. The "p" refers to cells run in parallel, so there's no increase in voltage but a gain in mAh (milliamp hours). Higher mAh usually equals more run time. Then you have the discharge rate (the "C" rating) that lets you know the max current you can pull from the battery. Generally the higher the discharge rate the better. You can go down a rabbit hole with all of this and get into matched cells and higher voltage lipos (LiHv) but you don't need any of it in a crawler.

As far as batteries in your transmitter, 6 runs is really bad. Were they the cheap batteries that came with the truck? If so, buy some good Duracell/Energizer batteries and you should see a huge improvement to how long it lasts. I think I'm on the same 4 AA batteries in mine for the last year...

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Still waiting on the damn battery from USPS, but I hooked up an old 2s lipo from my SCX to try out this new Hobbywing setup that came in today. I really like it so far. It was $150, the esc is integrated into the motor can. Saves you some space and less wires to run. Best drag brake I've used on a crawler.

View attachment 245212View attachment 245213View attachment 245214
As far as batteries go, I have run the high dollar lipo batteries (SMC, MaxAmps, etc) and honestly couldn't tell the difference between them and the $25 Amazon packs. The more expensive cells probably retain a little more punch over their life span (low internal resistance equals better acceleration) but for a rock crawler you don't need that.

Servo is usually a buy once, cry once type of deal and you get what you pay for. I'm still using the Futaba servos I got 6-7 years ago. You don't need .02 speed on a crawler, but you do want high torque so you can push the wheels if they get in a bind. I'll look around and get some links for batteries and servos tomorrow or Monday.
Is that motor bigger than a regular 540 motor? Same diameter just longer? Is it more torque less speed?

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Is that motor bigger than a regular 540 motor? Same diameter just longer? Is it more torque less speed?
It's got really good slow speed response since it's a lower kv sensored system. It's actually smaller then a standard brushed 540. I'll see if I can get a pic when I'm at the house later. I need to play with the gearing to get what I want but with a 20T pinion it's a lot faster than I thought it would be. Don't want to mess with much until I get the right size battery for the damn thing 🥺

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
@Adam490 and @Peter_72 thank you for all the info, I will get it done, I need to see how many bodies I have to go through before I get the paint like it should be.
Cut off some squares of the extra lexan and practice on those. Much cheaper than messing up the body 👍🏻

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Also, make certain your first layer of paint is completely dry before you move on to the next color. Back light colors in white to make them pop, or you can use silver and give them a bit of a shine. If you've got any questions feel free to PM, I painted bodies for about 5 years when I was a poor college kid to get beer and R/C money.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!