Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I did get some parts for my real 1/1 scale buggy
View attachment 263799
I did that earlier this year, a little over 3000 miles and they didn't need to be replaced, I did it anyways, since I had it down. I love this little SCX 24, it's a blast! It helps me with my bigger crawlers on techniques.

SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I did that earlier this year, a little over 3000 miles and they didn't need to be replaced, I did it anyways, since I had it down. I love this little SCX 24, it's a blast! It helps me with my bigger crawlers on techniques.
Talon seems to wear them fast. I do have the passenger rear that I bent the rotor and caliper on and replaced 6 or so months ago.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'm having some work done to our P1, to get ready for the TO, so funds are limited for up grades to the SCX24, I did do the brass knuckles, helped a bunch! I got the Night Crawler out today, seemed very large, it's a beast! Starting to think I enjoy navigating the SCX24 and the ECX 1/17 more than then the Night Crawler, but the Night Crawler is a beast and fun!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'm having some work done to our P1, to get ready for the TO, so funds are limited for up grades to the SCX24, I did do the brass knuckles, helped a bunch! I got the Night Crawler out today, seemed very large, it's a beast! Starting to think I enjoy navigating the SCX24 and the ECX 1/17 more than then the Night Crawler, but the Night Crawler is a beast and fun!
Been doing some research on RC's, the SCX24 has the most best marks on most of the sites for 1/24 scale, this little poop is a blast! You can drive it all over your cluttered desk, across your computer key board and never change anything, it goes with me every where, when I need to kill 15 minutes between meetings, I find a vacant lot with rocks, it's a good mind release!

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Been doing some research on RC's, the SCX24 has the most best marks on most of the sites for 1/24 scale, this little poop is a blast! You can drive it all over your cluttered desk, across your computer key board and never change anything, it goes with me every where, when I need to kill 15 minutes between meetings, I find a vacant lot with rocks, it's a good mind release!
@Adam I got the idea from you, taking the small buggy with me, great thought!

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wouldn’t steer you wrong sir. They are solid out of the box (other than the charger which is an extra 15-ish bucks for a cheap fix). Pretty budget friendly starter overall. It will let you know if you enjoy the hobby or not. But you can spend 4 or 5 times the RC amount on add-ons if you want to. Probably wiser to get a bigger scale companion for it though instead once you decide it is a hobby you want to invest more money in.

SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Well guys. It’s all back together and ready for the beach. I’m not even going to mess with it until we get there so I don’t break it again.
60260A3E 20C3 4486 8995 F08652E682E0
19A9E930 F877 46E7 AB52 A091E1DE2AEF
517462F1 0D4E 46C9 B906 A05324C5CFD0
C741F3DD DAB0 419F 9672 2129E9C704C1
28143CAA 5F19 44C1 B971 04F310BFD8CC

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I think so too. Can’t wait to see how it does with paddle tires. Going to start with 2 on the rear as it’s definitely rear biased with both tires locked. Also just re-glued a set of Hyrex tires. I don’t run it much on the aluminum beadlocks as they are heavy and heat it up pretty quick on 6S.

The beach sounds like a great playground for that RC.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was going to hit you in a PM @Adam490 but I thought others might be interested in the discussion...
We've been approved to swap our ESC in our Losi Mini B's because many of us have had failures (mine will no longer activate reverse for example). The hobbywing 1625 is the approved replacement to still run in the stock class. The rtr stock is an ESC/Receiver combo unit and we've been given free reign on whatever receiver and remote system we want to pair the new hobbywing ESC too. That said...I believe you said Futaba is your choice in remotes. I don't want to buy one and then later figure out I should have spent more to do it right the first time. So...I know almost zero about this end of things. Everything I've bought has been RTR. Let's assume I want to buy once cry once. What would you recommend?

Immediate use ...
Losi Mini B (stock brushed motor)

Other RC's I own that I might pair it with ...
Traxxas TRX 4 (with the front and center diff locks)
4 - Axial SCX24's
Traxxas Rustler 2WD VXL
2 - LaTrax Tetons
LaTrax Prerunner

Future use ...
1/10 Scale Buggy/Truggy/Stadium Truck whatever I might buy to race if I stick with it
Losi Mini B/T - Brushless system

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I was going to hit you in a PM @Adam490 but I thought others might be interested in the discussion...
We've been approved to swap our ESC in our Losi Mini B's because many of us have had failures (mine will no longer activate reverse for example). The hobbywing 1625 is the approved replacement to still run in the stock class. The rtr stock is an ESC/Receiver combo unit and we've been given free reign on whatever receiver and remote system we want to pair the new hobbywing ESC too. That said...I believe you said Futaba is your choice in remotes. I don't want to buy one and then later figure out I should have spent more to do it right the first time. So...I know almost zero about this end of things. Everything I've bought has been RTR. Let's assume I want to buy once cry once. What would you recommend?

Immediate use ...
Losi Mini B (stock brushed motor)

Other RC's I own that I might pair it with ...
Traxxas TRX 4 (with the front and center diff locks)
4 - Axial SCX24's
Traxxas Rustler 2WD VXL
2 - LaTrax Tetons
LaTrax Prerunner

Future use ...
1/10 Scale Buggy/Truggy/Stadium Truck whatever I might buy to race if I stick with it
Losi Mini B/T - Brushless system
I'd honestly look at the FlySky line. That little GT5 I bought for my kiddo is really impressive:

Another plus is the receivers are about half the price of the Futaba/Airtronics/Spektrum.

This is the Futaba comparable to what I run (mine is the 4PLS, they don't make it any more):

....or just go all out and get this guy :). This is what I'd be using if I was still racing:

I'd just leave the SCX24's on the RTR controllers.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I don't have much experience with any of the Spektrum stuff, but I know a ton of people use them. You really can't go wrong with any of the better radios out there this day and age. I'm super impressed with this FlySky for the price.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'd honestly look at the FlySky line. That little GT5 I bought for my kiddo is really impressive:

Another plus is the receivers are about half the price of the Futaba/Airtronics/Spektrum.

This is the Futaba comparable to what I run (mine is the 4PLS, they don't make it any more):

....or just go all out and get this guy :). This is what I'd be using if I was still racing:

I'd just leave the SCX24's on the RTR controllers.
I don't have much experience with any of the Spektrum stuff, but I know a ton of people use them. You really can't go wrong with any of the better radios out there this day and age. I'm super impressed with this FlySky for the price.
I don't imagine I'll ever be as good as the $700 Futaba. If there are must have features though I'll do it. I definitely don't mind spending the money for the 4 series. Are there appreciable differences between the 3 series and 4 series that I should care about? What features should I care about to begin with? lol

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!