P1000 Alumilite Enclosed Cab Review

IdahoPioneer

IdahoPioneer

Oct 16, 2015
Emmett, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
So I spent most of last year drooling over all your 1000s and planning to get my own eventually. Other than the clutches the only thing that I wasn't completely sure about was how to set it up with a cab that met my needs. After experiencing the poly windshield on my 500 I knew I wanted glass that would tip out for air flow. The Honda glass doesn't tip out. Also I hadn't heard great things about the Honda doors. And what's up with them only offering rear doors and panel in fabric??? Lastly I didn't like the price.

So I started researching other options. I asked both DFK and Moose if they were going to make cabs for the 1000-5. They responded with "maybe someday". I also like what @CumminsPusher built but I'd be kidding myself if I thought I could make something that nice. Then in December I saw that @Alumilitearmor had made a cab for the 1000-3. I decided to go out on a limb and ask if he planned to make one for the 5 seater. He said he wanted to but didn't have access to one to design it.

Within a week I had purchased mine with plans to bring it to him. It took a while to get the tracks but I finally picked it up and made the 1200 mile round trip to get Troy my machine. He kept it for a few weeks and now I'm the proud owner of the very first Alumilite cab for a Pioneer 1000-5.

Now the actual review. It's pretty simple. This is the absolute best cab option for any of the pioneers hands down. The build quality and fit are very impressive. The overall feel is nice and solid. The pop out windshield, roof vents, and side windows are excellent for air flow. Everything fits as tight as I could possibly expect on this machine. The remaining gaps are 90% due to Honda. I love how easy it is to remove the windows, doors, and windshield. There is really only one thing that could be considered a negative. Because of how the rear corner portions mate up with the bed they have to be removed in order to raise the bed and access the oil fill and air filter. Definitely adds some time to oil changes but it's worth it to me.

Feel free to ask me any questions you might have if you're considering a setup like this. Highly recommended.

Here is his website
Compare

IMG 28211

Last edited:
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Great review. Thanks! Now you have me dreaming!

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
So I spent most of last year drooling over all your 1000s and planning to get my own eventually. Other than the clutches the only thing that I wasn't completely sure about was how to set it up with a cab that met my needs. After experiencing the poly windshield on my 500 I knew I wanted glass that would tip out for air flow. The Honda glass doesn't tip out. Also I hadn't heard great things about the Honda doors. And what's up with them only offering rear doors and panel in fabric??? Lastly I didn't like the price.

So I started researching other options. I asked both DFK and Moose if they were going to make cabs for the 1000-5. They responded with "maybe someday". I also like what @CumminsPusher built but I'd be kidding myself if I thought I could make something that nice. Then in December I saw that @Alumilitearmor had made a cab for the 1000-3. I decided to go out on a limb and ask if he planned to make one for the 5 seater. He said he wanted to but didn't have access to one to design it.

Within a week I had purchased mine with plans to bring it to him. It took a while to get the tracks but I finally picked it up and made the 1200 mile round trip to get Troy my machine. He kept it for a few weeks and now I'm the proud owner of the very first Alumilite cab for a Pioneer 1000-5.

Now the actual review. It's pretty simple. This is the absolute best cab option for any of the pioneers hands down. The build quality and fit are very impressive. The overall feel is nice and solid. The pop out windshield, roof vents, and side windows are excellent for air flow. Everything fits as tight as I could possibly expect on this machine. The remaining gaps are 90% due to Honda. I love how easy it is to remove the windows, doors, and windshield. There is really only one thing that could be considered a negative. Because of how the rear corner portions mate up with the bed they have to be removed in order to raise the bed and access the oil fill and air filter. Definitely adds some time to oil changes but it's worth it to me.

Feel free to ask me any questions you might have if you're considering a setup like this. Highly recommended.

Here is his website
Compare

View attachment 39624
Looks great! Any idea on total weight of the cab?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
that is a great looking rig my white weather friend. You're options are now endless. Very cool nice writeup btw

Reactions: IdahoPioneer
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I think that he'll have to be heading North to stay in the snow!
I'm pretty north of him and damn surprised that's he's found good snow lately. Everything around me is going to crap. Even deep is opening up

Reactions: Ridem32
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm pretty north of him and damn surprised that's he's found good snow lately. Everything around me is going to crap. Even deep is opening up

Noon news just showed 96" on top of the mountains near here.
Just mud and rain down here in the valley.

advertisement
IdahoPioneer

IdahoPioneer

Oct 16, 2015
Emmett, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Ya I've been having to get up 6000 - 7000' to find snow. No more for a while though cause I put the tires back on.

R

Ryanf73

May 10, 2017
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I like it! How is it for noise inside?
Is there a hondasxs.com member group discount?

IdahoPioneer

IdahoPioneer

Oct 16, 2015
Emmett, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I like it! How is it for noise inside?
Is there a hondasxs.com member group discount?

Noise can be an issue depending on what your expectations are. When I'm wound up pulling a hill with tracks it's difficult to have any sort of conversation with passengers. Cruising with tires isn't bad at all. A raised voice is all we need to communicate.

Troy has mentioned the possibility of a discount if a group gets together and orders multiple at a time. Don't know any specifics though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R

Ryanf73

May 10, 2017
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any takers on a group buy? I would be interested in a full cab for the 1000 deluxe 5 with out the front doors.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

Here is his website
Compare

View attachment 39624

Very nice write up, I had completely missed this thread until a few days ago. Very nice fabrication work. I would be scared of denting up the back corners on a 1000-5 due to how the roll cage protrudes on the rear corners.

If I was buying a cab this would be it, definitely going with the glass windshield that tips out.

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Any takers on a group buy? I would be interested in a full cab for the 1000 deluxe 5 with out the front doors.

Sure let's do it

R

Ryanf73

May 10, 2017
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok... how many people do we need for "group" ?

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
I need it for deluxe 5 all,

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!