Am I being scammed?

DattaGroover

DattaGroover

Mar 19, 2021
Loveland
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hi,
I took my Pioneer 1000 (3 seater) in for minor service since it had 100 miles and a year of age on it, and also to check why it sometimes wouldn't go into low, especially in very cold weather. I know now that's a linkage issue. For this minor service and checking the shift issue (they said they couldn't find anything) they replaced all the fluids, sparkplug, filters, etc. They are claiming that is minor service, and billed me $600 ($480 for the minor service and $120 for checking the shift issue-and not seeing the problem). They said Honda specifies all those things for a minor service, but I think they are lying.

I would love any input on this before I take negative steps with them (BBB, credit card company, Google reviews, Yelp, etc.).

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hi, welcome.
Unfourchently, that sounds about right for a dealer and yes, that is minor service.
Most likely at a $100 hour, I am surprised it's only $600.

Sorry, my friend.
Hang around here long enough and you can do all that on your own.

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Hi,
I took my Pioneer 1000 (3 seater) in for minor service since it had 100 miles and a year of age on it, and also to check why it sometimes wouldn't go into low, especially in very cold weather. I know now that's a linkage issue. For this minor service and checking the shift issue (they said they couldn't find anything) they replaced all the fluids, sparkplug, filters, etc. They are claiming that is minor service, and billed me $600 ($480 for the minor service and $120 for checking the shift issue-and not seeing the problem). They said Honda specifies all those things for a minor service, but I think they are lying.

I would love any input on this before I take negative steps with them (BBB, credit card company, Google reviews, Yelp, etc.).

Your thoughts?
Welcome, and check out the shop talk forum under pioneer 1000 for all the information and help you need to do basic service (and much more really) yourself with confidence....👍

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
If they didn't change anything, you WILL continue to have that issue going into low. The most important thing is NEVER take your foot off the brake until you see the "L". If it shows the " - " and you go to take off, it will grind the gears in the subtransmission and it won't take many grinds until you no longer have low. Same applies to reverse and high. Don't go until you see the letter!!!

DattaGroover

DattaGroover

Mar 19, 2021
Loveland
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If they didn't change anything, you WILL continue to have that issue going into low. The most important thing is NEVER take your foot off the brake until you see the "L". If it shows the " - " and you go to take off, it will grind the gears in the subtransmission and it won't take many grinds until you no longer have low. Same applies to reverse and high. Don't go until you see the letter!!!
Great advice. I agree. I wish that linkage was easy to adjust, the way the rear differential linkage is.

Reactions: ChadD
advertisement
Gold-digger

Gold-digger

Mar 12, 2019
Ocean Shores Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've always thought if you have to ask your self I'm I being Scammed then you probably have been because you never ask yourself that before you hand them the money.
Shop rate were I'm at is $105 a hour

• Haha
Reactions: TripleB and ChadD
PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My dealer quoted mo over $800 for the first service, I’ll be doing it myself, lol, but not everyone has the knowledge to check valve clearances.
The difficult thing about checking the valves is when you need to change shims if they're a little off and not having an assortment of shims to work with.

Jacks

Jacks

Jan 6, 2020
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
$150 per hour for shop time here. Done everything myself up to this point but of course my machine has been rock solid with no issues.

• Love
Reactions: CumminsPusher
L

LeeB

Lifetime Member
Aug 2, 2017
NM
Ownership

1. 500
Agree the price sounds in the ball park....my first “service” 6 years ago was $328 or so.....so I got the owners manual out, bought a service manual loaded with info....and just completed oil changes all around, air filter, spark plug R&R (once I finally found it) etc. BTW you can reset the maintenance gizmos on the display by holding down the menu button for a few seconds under the display when you start it....I think it was $78 on Amazon for the oils, spark plug, etc. They even have a “package” of all you need. U-Tube, which I never watched before, has videos of “how to” just about everything you want to do. Certainly the “service” needs. I’m not mechanically inclined, so if I can do these things with U-Tube and a manual, you can easily. Good Luck. Move on & ride.

K

KimberproSS

Jul 16, 2019
Mount Vernon, IN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi,

Your thoughts?
I took mine in to a Honda Dealer for the 600 mi. service. Felt it was a good idea for the first thorough service check up and to maintain warranty concerns. It cost me $475 ish for the oil/filter change and other recommended service items. So that is probably on par. I can/will perform those services in the future myself. Check their labor rates, that is the gotcha.

J

Jimbbaker6

Mar 18, 2021
Washint
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Hi,

Your thoughts?
I believe that is correct. I was going to take my Talon in for the 100 mile service and it was going to be around that price. I ordered the Honda oil, gear lube and filters and did it myself. Saved a lot of money.

Reactions: TripleB
PatioDaddyo58

PatioDaddyo58

Supporting Member
Nov 6, 2019
Abilene, TX
Ownership

1. 700-2
I do all my own service. I've changed the oil twice by the book and both times the oil looked brand new. In my opinion, the service schedule is designed to benefit the dealerships. I was taught at Motorcycle Mechanics Institute in Phoenix, AZ (1999/2000 Motorcycle Tech 3 / Late Model Harley- Davidson) that motor oil is not even broke in until 2500 miles. The linkage is not that hard to adjust. There are a number of videos on the internet on how to do it along with just about everything else that needs to be done. I highly recommend a factory service manual for do it yourselfers. It is also my opinion that it is not necessary to check the valves as often as the company says to. Good luck, men.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!